Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unemployed of the board unite............

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
For all of you who are currently unemployed, what do doing with your days/planning to do with your days without work??

Bearing in mind this jobs crisis could go on for a while, do you have any plans in force for filling up your time other than sitting on here all day/watching crap tv/looking for more work?

I've only been unemployed since Friday after a contract fell through and so far this week I've spent my time researching what benefits I'm entitled to and sorting the applications etc.

However, I don't want to just spend this time vegging forever, so have decided that I want to use the time constructively and do some study with OU. I am also applying for one day a week voluntary work to use the skills I already have, gain new ones and basically just stop my brain turning to mush really. Plus I feel the longer one spends out of the working environment, the harder it will be to go back into it, psychologically as well as how it looks to future employers

So what plans do the rest of you have?

and if anyone sees me start to become the next HB&B please give me early warning haha!

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
I have been made redundant so currently looking.

Benefits are a pain in the backside.

The worse thing I've found is that DWP don't seem to have a proper idea of what you are entitled to. It's only that I've spent literally HOURS researching it that I knew what combination to claim for. Nobody was going to offer me the information!

But nearly a week on, I still don't know the value of my entitlement!!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The worse thing I've found is that DWP don't seem to have a proper idea of what you are entitled to. It's only that I've spent literally HOURS researching it that I knew what combination to claim for. Nobody was going to offer me the information!

But nearly a week on, I still don't know the value of my entitlement!!

Blimey. I thought you had it in the bag too. Unlucky, Ronnie, but I'm sure you'll get something soon.

Best of luck to you and to all the others even HB&B. Never know, I may well be out of a job soon too.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thje system does not give people the need to go to work. If you lose your job and receive benefit you get your rent paid and council tax paid which in most cases would be best part of £150 per week if you then add on JSA for a married couple which the government say you need to live on that £189 per week so the first £339 that you earn you can get for doing nothing. If you are on £25k per year you work full time for about £141 just using gross figures, but by the time you have taken NI and PAYE off of £25k gross you are working full time and less than £100 per week better off in your pocket. The government wonder why unemployment figures are on the increase and people do not want to work.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
and so they should be. work-shy freeloaders.

I trust that's your idea of a joke. I am out of work from time to time due to the nature of my work and partly because of my age (few employers want to take on older people). I'm working right now but in order to do so I spend at least five hours a day traveling, (getting up at 5:45 AM), wonder how long you spend traveling to and from your employment.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Thje system does not give people the need to go to work. If you lose your job and receive benefit you get your rent paid and council tax paid which in most cases would be best part of £150 per week if you then add on JSA for a married couple which the government say you need to live on that £189 per week so the first £339 that you earn you can get for doing nothing. If you are on £25k per year you work full time for about £141 just using gross figures, but by the time you have taken NI and PAYE off of £25k gross you are working full time and less than £100 per week better off in your pocket. The government wonder why unemployment figures are on the increase and people do not want to work.

Not all of us "don't want to work"

And as a couple because both me and my wife work part time we won't see anything like that much.

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
Blimey. I thought you had it in the bag too. Unlucky, Ronnie, but I'm sure you'll get something soon.

Best of luck to you and to all the others even HB&B. Never know, I may well be out of a job soon too.

Yeah me too! It fell apart after 3 days! A long story and not one I'm going to put on here to get raked over, but consequently here I am!

Maximum JSA for couples is £94.95pw.

Benny Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
London
I trust that's your idea of a joke. I am out of work from time to time due to the nature of my work and partly because of my age (few employers want to take on older people). I'm working right now but in order to do so I spend at least five hours a day traveling, (getting up at 5:45 AM), wonder how long you spend traveling to and from your employment.
have you thought about moving nearer to the job centre?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It is a nightmare being suddenly unemployed. Happened to me about 4 years ago. Luckily I found work before my papers for JSA had gone through but that is not so easy withe the downturn in full play.

Do the CAB offer guidance as to what you are entitled to and the fastest way to obtain it? Just a thought.

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
It is a nightmare being suddenly unemployed. Happened to me about 4 years ago. Luckily I found work before my papers for JSA had gone through but that is not so easy withe the downturn in full play.

Do the CAB offer guidance as to what you are entitled to and the fastest way to obtain it? Just a thought.

I tried for an appointment and was offered one in 7 weeks!

There is an online tool at Start Calculation
which is useful as a starting point. By applying for JSA, that automatically kick starts the HB (or LHA as it is called now) and CTB applications too

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here