Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uncle Spielberg's Film Club

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
snakes on a plane. oh my god, what a pile of poop! to make matters worse i had a packet of revels (not the player) and found that they come with chocolate raisins in them. no way should fruit EVER be disguised as chocolate. nearly put me off me hot dog. (nearly!)

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Beverly Hills Cop 5.7

Midly amusing tale but over rated imho.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
And why not ???

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Volver. 8/10

Penelope Cruz shows she can act, providing it's:

a) in Spanish
b) playing what could politely be described as a 'salt of the earth' character.

And, as usual, Almodovar hits the mark. Top stuff - human, poignant, funny, ticks all his usual boxes. Go see it.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This year has been piss poor for new films but I still want to see Little Miss Sunshine although the response to my suggestion has been very luke warm and World Trade Centre when it comes out. Right at my door look intreiging and with the Bearded Maestro having a 1 year holiday after Munich nothing to look forward to there either. Went to the DVD store and got

An American Haunting - 6.5 - better than I tought it would be, quite scary and a fairly interesting story, no world beater but worth the £ 3.50 fee. Certainly knocked that utter gash When A Strangers Calls into a cocked hat.

The Wild 6.3 - again a pleasant enough kiddies film with a workable story and some amusing characters, raised a few chuckles along the way and worth the hire money.

Hostel - did not watch , someone else watched it whilst I watched the Wild and said it was " weird ". Sounded fairly sick really and it does not really appeal to me seeing 3 people being brutally tortured.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Prime 5.8

A girly rom com to keep the other half happy. It was a likeable , mildly amusing tale of a lovely Uma Thurman who had just got divorced and seeing her shrink , the always excellent Meryl Streep about her problems. She dates and falls in love with a guy 14 years her junior played by a very handsome young man who was a reasonable actor as well. Nothing earth shattering with the conversations between Thurman and Streep and her boyfriend/son being the comical highlights. Nothing earth shattering but something to while away 105 minutes.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Fast and the Furious 3 - Tokyo Drift.

Every bit as atrocious as I was expecting. How do a bunch of japanese high school kids afford to buy and maintain these glistening, elaborately-painted souped-up-to-the-nines streetcars with NOS ? And bash them up in races seemingly without being all that bothered about the thousands of pounds woth of damage to their vehicles ? Would any insurer touch them with a bargepole ? And how come they seem to have an endless supply of highways, car parks and twisty mountain roads all seemingly and conveniently completely VOID of all other traffic, to enable them to conduct their pointless races ? There wasn't even any discernable League format that I could see anyway, so whats the POINT ?

2.2 (and it only gets that for some of the tempting asian schoolgirl SLUTS draping themselves all over the cars)

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I have 6 Odeon tickets to use by Thursday. Yesterday, i went alone for Children of Men. Seemed a bit Orwellian, which is no bad thing at all, but, by jingo, Earth strolled by humans is an unwaterable grey only lifted on occasion with politico-religious explosion that debts and unlimbs the caffeined masses.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Meade's_Ball said:
I have 6 Odeon tickets to use by Thursday. Yesterday, i went alone for Children of Men. Seemed a bit Orwellian, which is no bad thing at all, but, by jingo, Earth strolled by humans is an unwaterable grey only lifted on occasion with politico-religious explosion that debts and unlimbs the caffeined masses.
I fancy seeing that. Did you LIKE it ?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Easy 10 said:
I fancy seeing that. Did you LIKE it ?

Its difficult to say that i would recommend going to see it as it seems strangely dated. British and 70s and a bit Triffidy in places.
Its worth a look though. Some of it quite terrifying. But other bits seem almost absurdly holy in the quiet.
Some jolly good sudden deaths though.
:)

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Finally got round to watching Kingdom of Heaven last night as had avoided thinking it would be gash like Troy.

Was actually pleasantly suprised and think it had some rather unfair harsh critisism.

Ill give it a 7.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Meade's_Ball said:
Its difficult to say that i would recommend going to see it as it seems strangely dated. British and 70s and a bit Triffidy in places.
Its worth a look though. Some of it quite terrifying. But other bits seem almost absurdly holy in the quiet.
Some jolly good sudden deaths though.
:)
Thats good enough for me. I shall book an appointment with my local flick forthwith.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Albion Dan said:
Finally got round to watching Kingdom of Heaven last night as had avoided thinking it would be gash like Troy.

Was actually pleasantly suprised and think it had some rather unfair harsh critisism.

Ill give it a 7.
If Russell Crowe had the lead in that, it would have been a stormer. As it stands, I don't think Orlando Bloom carries nearly enough screen presence to really pull it off in that kind of leading role. But I'd agree with your overall assessment. I think I said something along the lines of: "Meh, not bad" at the end, which would usually lead to a score of around 6.8 for me.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Sexy Beast - Good performances all round but Ben Kingsley steals the show. Not a lot of depth to the plot but it leaves you wanting to know more about these shady characters, Kingsleys character is cinematic gold, they could do a franchise based on his past.

Don: Talk to me, Gal. I'm here for you. I'm a good listener.
Gal: What can I say, Don? I've said it all. I'm retired.
Don: Shut up.

A solid 8.1.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Waiting
Ryan Reynolds, Anna Farris and others in a "comedy" about the lives of the staff at a restaurant.
The fact that they still had a half a dozen copies in the rental shop when I went in at about 9 on saturday night was not a good sign, but it was the only film that I thought might appeal to the ladies as well (fairly sure they wouldn't have been to keen on Hostel).
Funny in places but not enough and it just never seems to get going or indeed finish with any sort of conclusion.
Ryan Reynolds plays the same character he always seems to but is capable of a lot more given a good script
Pretty piss poor to be honest 4.9

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Lassie 2005 - 8.3

The fare on offer at the DVD store has been very average this year and I reached for an old family favourite Lassie. This was the recent 2005 remake and I did not have massive expectations of it. This made the film even more of a delight and suprise and quite frankly it was a superlative piece of film making and story telling.

We all the know the story, Lassie, trusted animal , young lad as owner , they get seperated , this time by 500 miles, Lassie escapes and tries to find her way home to said owner. It tells of the scrapes and trials of the journey with a host of well known characters and actors. The acting is strong, the story is well told, the cinemtography is stunning, the music is moving and the ending almost had an old cynical bastard like me reaching for my handkerchief. This is the best Lassie film I have ever seen and if you have a young family or are young at heart or remember the old lassie films get this out.

It has had very good critcal reviews and the only mystery is why it only took just over £ 1 000 000 at the UK box office. Once shown on TV , this will become in time a classic.

Wonderful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here