Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uncharted 2 on PS3 - game of the year

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
:lolol:

funny, but no kid, and apparently not from Brighton.

You see the thing is though, its not an online game it is a single player game with online aswell, and like many things in life such as art, wine, e.t.c. Uncharted 2 is a masterclass in how to make an awesome single player experience, cod is like your bottle of alcopop brought from the offlicense on the corner, drunk by many more people but much worse none the less

auschr

Apr 19, 2009
USA
where do they get ideas for this games.. run around with a gun and shoot enemies.. genius.. ill stick to the original.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
where do they get ideas for this games.. run around with a gun and shoot enemies.. genius.. ill stick to the original.

If you own the original then you must be the only one of the 3.4 million or so people who brought it that isnt waiting desperately for the follow up

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I must admit I've never played the original but partly based on this thread and some of the reviews I've seen I decided to pick this up when it came out just over a week ago.

I have barely stopped to sleep/shit/work since. This is absolutely IMMENSE. It really does an awesome job of combining super slick elements of other games into one awesome package.

Much as I love Call of Duty I do find it a bit irritating that it has to be so fast paced, without the option to take your time to think things through and just chucking endless enemies at you until you progress. In this respect I've always enjoyed the Tom Clancy games like Rainbow Six, Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon where you take cover and have to be a bit more careful about your killing. And in Uncharted they've got this totally nailed meaning you can make use of the environment to take cover but not to such an extent that the AI is too dumb to figure out how to take you out.

Then there's the Assassin's Creed style climbing engine which makes almost the entire environment completely explorable and open. The graphics and animation are top notch without question and then there's the variety of the different levels meaning you simply don't get time to be bored. The level on the speeding train, jumping from carriage to carriage, dodging signals whilst battling armed badasses and helicopter gunships is UTTERLY fantastic fun to play and entirely gorgeous to look at.

I honestly didn't imagine the game could live up to all the hype but it's surpassed my expectations and, perhaps most gratifyingly, despite my hours and hours of playing it I'm still only 76% of the way through on normal mode, after having spent more time on it than any other game I can think of recently like COD4, the Clancy games, Wanted and even GTA 4 (which admittedly I haven't finished but just don't have the motivation to complete).

So many games are chucked out these days with the emphasis on online play, meaning the single player mode is invariably over all too quickly BUT Uncharted 2 is immensely in depth and hasn't left me wanting once.

This may well be the greatest console game I've ever played, possibly even pushing Vice City down a spot.

So who else has been loving it?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Brilliant game.

I loved the first one, and I'm definitely loving this.

Apparently the first one is being turned into a film.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
Well considering they made a film out of Tomb Raider I would easily say this is worthy of big screen treatment

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Getting the game next weekend. Got the first one a while ago and didn't really get going with it. Gave it another go recently and while it's not amazing, it's still an enjoyable game with some of the best graphics I've seen on a game, ever. Looking forward to the second, looks even greater.

Speaking of Assassins Creed, I saw it was quite cheap on Play.com, is it worth a tenner?

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
Assassin's Creed is good fun for a while, and does look awesome, but it does get a bit repetitive unfortunately. The new one is out soon though and is supposed to be far more enjoyable.

I got it for a tenner too, reckon it's worth it for a good few hours worth of entertainment at least. It just may not be a game you finish

andywhing4england

Jan 19, 2009
you cannot say that uncharted is game of the year until call of duty:modern warfare 2 comes out. looks pretty special

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Assassin's Creed is good fun for a while, and does look awesome, but it does get a bit repetitive unfortunately. The new one is out soon though and is supposed to be far more enjoyable.

I got it for a tenner too, reckon it's worth it for a good few hours worth of entertainment at least. It just may not be a game you finish

Thanks. Yeah the reviews said all the missions got pretty repetitive which was why I haven't bought it yet. Might wait until Assassins 2 has been out a while and gone down in price and get that instead.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Yes, yes, I added 'so far' further down the thread.

Can't see CoD beating an average score of 97% on Metacritic, mind.

COD will be amazing, we all know that. I guess it just boils down to whether yo like this kind of game or not.

For example, I would never buy Fallout 3 as I'm not a RPG fan so I know I wouldn't like it, despite it being labelled a classic.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
COD will be amazing, we all know that. I guess it just boils down to whether yo like this kind of game or not.

For example, I would never buy Fallout 3 as I'm not a RPG fan so I know I wouldn't like it, despite it being labelled a classic.

Exactly - lowers voice to a whisper - I don't like any of the Call of Duty games

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Exactly - lowers voice to a whisper - I don't like any of the Call of Duty games

For the record I've bought Uncharted 2 and will buy the new COD game, but I thought it needed to be said!

For anyone undecided over buying Uncharted 2, do so as it's amazing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here