Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ukraine vs England - on the telly ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
dont get upset, accept it and do something else. if you pay for internet viewing and making it look like a good idea, look forward to it happening more in the future. I cant stand the idea of footie though small computer monitor, im sure it will be shit quality anyway.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Don't be stupid and pay to watch it. It will be shown on British TV, that's 95% certain, a fee just has to be agreed. It is more than likely to be shown on Channel Five, they'll probably have the highlights aswell.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Don't be stupid and pay to watch it. It will be shown on British TV, that's 95% certain, a fee just has to be agreed. It is more than likely to be shown on Channel Five, they'll probably have the highlights aswell.

I was hoping you'd reply, you tend to know this kind of thing. Do you have any idea why it hasn't already been picked up?

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
I was hoping you'd reply, you tend to know this kind of thing. Do you have any idea why it hasn't already been picked up?

In simple terms, the Ukranian FA were originally going to be paid £3 million by Setanta for them to screen the game, obviously now after they've gone bust they're not going to get that money and are holding out to recieve a similar amount of cash.

The main broadcasters were holding back due to England doing so well, hoping the game becomes meaningless therefore they'd be able to pick it up on the cheap. Apparently the BBC initially showed an interest but now don't want it, neither ITV or BSkyB look like they want it either - this is down to the price the Ukranian FA are demanding for the rights. Channel Five did bid around £1 million for the rights to the game but this was rejected but talks are meant to be on-going about the game being shown live on Channel Five

:thumbsup:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Thanks for that, a very informative post. I can't blame the Ukranian FA in the slightest, the revenue the English broadcaster will make on the match with the advertising rights would be pretty damn hefty, they've every right to hold out for as much as Setanta were going to pay. I hope they can strike a deal with Channel 5, it'll be a shame to watch such an important match on there, but atleast we'll be able to see it.

Truth be told, it will probably be just as boring as the majority of other England games, but it's still worth watching.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Thanks for that, a very informative post. I can't blame the Ukranian FA in the slightest, the revenue the English broadcaster will make on the match with the advertising rights would be pretty damn hefty, they've every right to hold out for as much as Setanta were going to pay. I hope they can strike a deal with Channel 5, it'll be a shame to watch such an important match on there, but atleast we'll be able to see it.

Truth be told, it will probably be just as boring as the majority of other England games, but it's still worth watching.

The amount Setanta were going to pay is one of the main reason they no longer operate within the UK - massively overpaying on rights to games/packages. The FA Cup is another prime example as it looks the rights that were held by Setanta are now going to be unsold due to the high price they paid for them.

To be honest, all England games should be on terrestrial television in my eyes, but it does seem likely that Five and the UFA will do a deal before the weekend.

All this for a 0-0 draw away in the Ukraine! :lol:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
They weren't great business minds at Setanta were they?! :lol: Not enough subscribers, massively overpaying for packages and an insistence on showing the Blue Square Premier. Not the best business model they had going there.

I didn't know the FA Cup was hit by Setanta's demise though, I thought the BBC had taken over those rights? Or have I imagined that?! Setanta didn't have exclusive rights to it though I wouldn't have thought.

Personally, I would like to see all England games on the BBC. But it's an outdated opinion that now, considering the revenue streams of ITV and even channel 5, for them this would be a brilliant commercial opportunity.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
They weren't great business minds at Setanta were they?! :lol: Not enough subscribers, massively overpaying for packages and an insistence on showing the Blue Square Premier. Not the best business model they had going there.

I didn't know the FA Cup was hit by Setanta's demise though, I thought the BBC had taken over those rights? Or have I imagined that?! Setanta didn't have exclusive rights to it though I wouldn't have thought.

Personally, I would like to see all England games on the BBC. But it's an outdated opinion that now, considering the revenue streams of ITV and even channel 5, for them this would be a brilliant commercial opportunity.

The BSP was actually one of the highest watched programmes shown by Setanta and I believe it's currently missed from our television screens. :down:

The FA Cup rights were jointly held by ITV and Setanta, now only half the rights are owned by ITV and the other remain unsold. Apparently ESPN were interested but that seems to have gone a bit quiet.

I don't mind England games being on ITV as the HD quality on there is rather impressive. I think Channel Five have shown a few England games before so they won't be completly new to it. Actually, I think they showed the 5-1 against Germany (not 100% sure about that).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If you have a satellite dish for a camper that gets German etc channels would you be able to tune into that to get both England vs Ukraine , assuming it is on Ukraine TV and the David Haye fight in Germany in November to avoid paying Sky.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
If you have a satellite dish for a camper that gets German etc channels would you be able to tune into that to get both England vs Ukraine , assuming it is on Ukraine TV and the David Haye fight in Germany in November to avoid paying Sky.

I'm not an expert on such matters, but if the channel is coming from the Satellite I think it is, you could potentially pick it up in the UK with a motorised dish with a minimum width of just over a metre.

I think the channel is free to air, so there is a strong possibility some ex-pat Ukrainians will be watching it at home in the UK.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Why not do what they do in the old days and listen to it on the WIRELESS?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
you asked a f***ing STUPID question,I gave the obvious answer,I also gave the answer to the problem. Put £10 in a Bet 365 account and watch the game. Then have a gamble or withdraw the money later.

Thanks again Mr Angry, I suggest you re-read what I was replying to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here