Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK population is to increase beyond 70 million in the next 12 years

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Indeed... so we just need to get on with it and build / convert / modernise housing in vast quantities.

Simple as that. Meanwhile back in the real world no political party is even suggesting building enough houses year on year to cope with our current population expansion or clear the backlog let alone future increases.

Only 2% of Britain is built on. There's plenty of room.

As Lord Bracknell said, we need youngsters in the work force to pay in, but the population will also lose a lot of baby boomers in the next 12 years as they die off.

The problem that we baby boomers present is that we are NOT dying off. The NHS is keeping me going, but it's costing the state a fortune.

As for DR's assertion that this is an "I'm Alright Jack" attitude, it's exactly the opposite. People are living into their late nineties. The choice for the nation is either more taxpayers or keep the numbers down and double the rates of taxation.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
M
The problem that we baby boomers present is that we are NOT dying off. The NHS is keeping me going, but it's costing the state a fortune.

As for DR's assertion that this is an "I'm Alright Jack" attitude, it's exactly the opposite. People are living into their late nineties. The choice for the nation is either more taxpayers or keep the numbers down and double the rates of taxation.

Some are, but I've lost a friend aged 75 just this week.

Jan 30, 2008
the problem that we baby boomers present is that we are not dying off. The nhs is keeping me going, but it's costing the state a fortune.

As for dr's assertion that this is an "i'm alright jack" attitude, it's exactly the opposite. People are living into their late nineties. The choice for the nation is either more taxpayers or keep the numbers down and double the rates of taxation.
or less people coming into the country putting a drain on public services that i've paid my n.i.c into for many a year, and also get told i've got to work up to the age of 67 to be entitled to a state Pention :angry::angry::angry::angry:#
regards
DR

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I said months ago we need to start building on greenbelt land and got shot down in flames!

Jan 30, 2008
Brand new college being finished right now. New things don't get built until there's a demand for them.
ha ha Sussex university decides to splash some cash along with the development in Circus street ??? also right next to the FERRY TERMINAL ACCESS .............lovely???
regards
DR

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Isn't the argument we need rapid population growth to look after/fund the increasing percentage of elderly people a bit flawed because we would need ever larger increases in the population to look after the preceding waves as they reached retirement.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It would all work fine if the filthy rich ****ers at the top paid their way

Jan 30, 2008
Isn't the argument we need rapid population growth to look after/fund the increasing percentage of elderly people a bit flawed because we would need ever larger increases in the population to look after the preceding waves as they reached retirement.
IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE ,fact is there's a lot of people that have paid their way in life who thought they would be looked after but now we've got people ambling into the country paying nothing in who are reaping OUR rewards :angry:
regards
DR

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Only 2% of Britain is built on. There's plenty of room.

As Lord Bracknell said, we need youngsters in the work force to pay in, but the population will also lose a lot of baby boomers in the next 12 years as they die off.

There really isnt.
This is a short sighted move.

75% of UK land is dedicated to agriculture,its not a clever move to keep building on it when we need more of it to sustain population increase.

"The report warned the UK could need an additional 7 million hectares of farmland to meet these demands, but only 5 million hectares could be available, leaving a predicted shortfall of 2 million hectares – roughly the size of Wales."
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/UK-...rsity-report/story-22370199-detail/story.html

and what of the environmental impact?
"This loss of rural land may reduce the long-term capacity to produce food in an environmentally sustainable way and compromise the ability of the countryside to produce environmental goods, such as landscapes, natural habitats and tranquil areas."
http://www.ecifm.rdg.ac.uk/current_production.htm

we need new housing but the countryside is not the answer.
its going to have to be brownfield construction and then when that is done,town houses will have to go in place of large accommodation units and gradually work our way out from city centres.........in many years to come a house and a garden will be an unaffordable and impractical luxury.

bit shit really( in my opinion) but if people are happy with large population increases these are the sacrifices.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE ,fact is there's a lot of people that have paid their way in life who thought they would be looked after but now we've got people ambling into the country paying nothing in who are reaping OUR rewards :angry:
regards
DR

Most immigrants come over here and work many do jobs looking after the elderly in the NHS and care homes. But you are right, getting a grip on immigration would help in slowing population growth.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The rich get richer whilst the poor stay poor, I'd rather have an affordable home then look at some empty fields!

Jan 30, 2008
there really isnt.
This is a short sighted move.

75% of uk land is dedicated to agriculture,its not a clever move to keep building on it when we need more of it to sustain population increase.

"the report warned the uk could need an additional 7 million hectares of farmland to meet these demands, but only 5 million hectares could be available, leaving a predicted shortfall of 2 million hectares – roughly the size of wales."
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/uk-...rsity-report/story-22370199-detail/story.html

and what of the environmental impact?
"this loss of rural land may reduce the long-term capacity to produce food in an environmentally sustainable way and compromise the ability of the countryside to produce environmental goods, such as landscapes, natural habitats and tranquil areas."
http://www.ecifm.rdg.ac.uk/current_production.htm

we need new housing but the countryside is not the answer.
Its going to have to be brownfield construction and then when that is done,town houses will have to go in place of large accommodation units and gradually work our way out from city centres.........in many years to come a house and a garden will be an unaffordable and impractical luxury.

Bit shit really( in my opinion) but if people are happy with large population increases these are the sacrifices.
wigwams are the way forward, WE COULD HAVE INDIAN STYLE RESERVATIONS IN PLACES LIKE THE BRECON BECON'S AND THE LAKE DISTRICT:wink:
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here