Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] UK government allows use of pesticide that kills bees.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The British beet sugar industry grows, processes and delivers high quality sugar to around 50% of the UK market, and exports across the world. It is the lowest cost sugar producer in the world.

The industry supports up to 9,500 British jobs. Jobs are created in the manufacturing plants and on farms. Suppliers to the factories also create more jobs as the demand for services increases in line with sugar production and manufacturing processes.

In addition, the British homegrown sugar supply chain involves around 7,000 different businesses making it one of the largest customers for many goods and services in the East of England.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

True, a lazy expression by me in my reply yet I’m just sceptical that it will be limited to a specific crop and timescale.

Yep you’re possibly right there and I guess farmers possibly struggling with export markets post brexit need to trim costs and come back to intensive farming methods to make ends meet. This would leave them susceptible to pressure/lobbying from pesticide manufacturers as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Why do people with fruit farms import bee hives every year when they could leave it to the wind.....................JHC

Because bees are better at it.

But that doesn’t mean that it’s them or no pollination occurring whatsoever, which is what you said.

Be thankful you’re wrong on this one.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Because bees are better at it.

But that doesn’t mean that it’s them or no pollination occurring whatsoever, which is what you said.

Be thankful you’re wrong on this one.

nearly none, which will be catastrophic

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Instead, Boris Johnson have promised to personally pollinate all the flowers and crops.

Sugar beet yields down 20-25% can only be a good thing to everyone who is not a sugar beet farmer.

Wrong.. in fact, very bad for consumers as a 25% drop in production may well see a doubling of prices.

Overproduction is the cause of falling food prices. Shortages in production causes price increases

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Except that the EU has also granted exceptions.

Well in that case Brexit was supposed to allow us to adopt different regulations to that corporate-orientated mob.

Either way I'm not going to miss an opportunity to bash Eustice, a poor quality MP at local and national level.

As a scientist and conservationist I don't know enough about this issue to properly comment, but the circumstances in which a crop is prioritised over a declining wildlife species should be highly limited.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Wrong.. in fact, very bad for consumers as a 25% drop in production may well see a doubling of prices.

Overproduction is the cause of falling food prices. Shortages in production causes price increases

And?

People need to eat less sugar stuff.

D

Deleted member 2719

Bees are important of course.

Humans are important also, bad humans that adopt the covid idiot status need stringing up.

Is anyone going to start a petition on it?

I am happy to sign up.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
Instead, Boris Johnson have promised to personally pollinate all the flowers and crops.

Sugar beet yields down 20-25% can only be a good thing to everyone who is not a sugar beet farmer.

Sugar Beet prices going to get caned due to Brexit anyway. **** sugar beet - Save The Bees

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I seem to recall that the top scientists are pushing for a change of the name from pesticides to something else as the word pesticides implys that it's a product that only kills pests and the research is growing that it has a huge impact on other species including humans,the most at risk being farm workers themselves.
Bees are not a pest so this product is a failure and should not be used.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Sugar beet was always derided as one of the worst excesses of the common agricultural policy (EU self sufficiency in food). You would think there would be a rush to grow more desirable crops in the UK and go back to importing sugar cane. It's almost as if this purest Brexit argument has been sidelined by a rush of sweet political donations. If the bees want protecting they know what they need to do.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sugar beet was always derided as one of the worst excesses of the common agricultural policy (EU self sufficiency in food). You would think there would be a rush to grow more desirable crops in the UK and go back to importing sugar cane. It's almost as if this purest Brexit argument has been sidelined by a rush of sweet political donations. If the bees want protecting they know what they need to do.
I think I'm right in saying that there is no dietary need for sugar anyway. It's one of many products that big business dictates that we eat such as flavourless Cheddar, water filled Bacon, water filled Chicken breasts and white bread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here