Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] UFO Report: US Finds No Explanation For Sightings

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
See the Fermi Paradox.

The universe is bigger than we know or can imagine, or comprehend... but at the same time the observable universe is incredibly massive too.

In all directions, there is nothing. Whether it's in our immediate star cluster, or in the far distant past, there is nothing. Intelligent life is not revealing itself, and you would expect it to, even by accident, whether it's in the form of radio waves, chemical activity or just light... it is not.

And in our immediate solar system, and as our technology improves, in our galaxy too, there is no evidence of microbial life either.

It seems that apart from us, our universe is silent. All the evidence that we are capable of discovering to date is suggesting that life on earth is unique. There is absolutely no sign of any kind of life as we know it anywhere else... and we can observe a lot now.

Even our first radio transmissions of 100+ years ago will have only travelled about 200 light-years from the Earth, our galaxy alone is about 100,00 light-years across. Not surprising we haven't heard much yet.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Even our first radio transmissions of 100+ years ago will have only travelled about 200 light-years from the Earth, our galaxy alone is about 100,00 light-years across. Not surprising we haven't heard much yet.

they're very quick radio waves then :whistle:

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Life oozes out of every orifice on earth. It exists even where it has no place to. It is almost an inevitability - wherever there is room on earth, life emerges. It survives, and flourishes, regardless of how inhospitable the environment.

Yet the skies, absolutely silent. The space we now look into, nothing. The planets and moons we are now exploring, devoid of life.

It is possible that there is something about life on earth that makes it unique in our universe. In fact, given the information that we have, this is currently the more probable scenario.

There could be life elsewhere in the universe, but there is absolutely no evidence of it... and there should be, by now.
We may find simple life on those ice/water/moons in our backyard...Enceladus? Europa? (Apologies... haven't done my detailed research 🤔), AND remember the Universe is so vast, with galaxies millions of light years away from us, that any radio waves emitted from that far may just not have reached us yet.
It's vast, huge, incredibly so... I can't imagine we are the only life form in the Universe...surely that is statistically (almost, never say never) impossible.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Sorry folks. Nobody is coming to rescue us from the impending climate breakdown and there is nowhere to run to. Even if there were. do people believe we will all board super-craft and fly to Earth 2?
It would be a couple of scientists, a freezer and a load of toff's spunk.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The surest sign that there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Life oozes out of every orifice on earth. It exists even where it has no place to. It is almost an inevitability - wherever there is room on earth, life emerges. It survives, and flourishes, regardless of how inhospitable the environment.

Yet the skies, absolutely silent. The space we now look into, nothing. The planets and moons we are now exploring, devoid of life.

It is possible that there is something about life on earth that makes it unique in our universe. In fact, given the information that we have, this is currently the more probable scenario.

There could be life elsewhere in the universe, but there is absolutely no evidence of it... and there should be, by now.

Too far away.

Not enough time passed :shrug:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You only have to look around our own planet to realise intelligent life can develop into something you might not want to meet.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
You get arrested and thrown into jail if you say you're from Mars these days

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
The chances of life existing at the same time as us in the vast expanse of the universe are low, zero within an area we could ever travel to. Our planet is unique, the conditions for life extraordinarily rare.
I am open to the possibility that life forms have tech that allows them to travel here. It is possible although unlikely.

I'm not sure it's entirely true that the conditions for life to develop are that rare. Whenever I watch a programme about space it feels like every planet in the Solar System either has locations or a moon that "could theoretically support life", normally geothermal vents in an ocean under a load of ice and rock. Admittedly it's probably not exciting life that'll come down in tripods and drink our blood.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm not sure it's entirely true that the conditions for life to develop are that rare. Whenever I watch a programme about space it feels like every planet in the Solar System either has locations or a moon that "could theoretically support life", normally geothermal vents in an ocean under a load of ice and rock. Admittedly it's probably not exciting life that'll come down in tripods and drink our blood.

Ha! There may well be some single cell, jelly specs witlessly swimming around in a pitch black, subterranean boiling acid pool 450,000,000 light years from Earth. And to them I say, get here if you can, kettle’s on.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

What planets and moons are we exploring? We’ve hardly got started yet. Europa is a moon of Jupiter’s for which there’s a strong and hoped possibility of life as it has oceans under the ice. Water is considered a solvent for life.

We are still in the very early stages of our journeys into space. We’re primitive infants on a galactic scale. But whereas once Earth was considered rare, we’re now finding a lot of them (exoplanets). In fact it turns out Earths and super Earths are fairly common through the galaxy. I think there’s 1000s discovered to date, finding more every day.

Some day we may be able to send probes to them, hopefully in our lifetimes.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Ha! There may well be some single cell, jelly specs witlessly swimming around in a pitch black, subterranean boiling acid pool 450,000,000 light years from Earth. And to them I say, get here if you can.

There's probably a difference in mindset between the people who are intrigued or fascinated by the idea of life on other planet in general, which may well be common and exist within the solar system, and those who are interested in the idea of being woken up in the middle of the night to be probed by an alien space octopus.

The first question is about scientific enquiry and the deep philosophical questions of our place in the universe. The latter is an ego trip.

Yes I am being deliberately offensive about this. If aliens come down and melt my face, well done to them. If they want to fly overhead waving their enigmatic majesty around like a willy with LEDs strapped to it they can bugger off, I'm much more impressed by useful miracles like functioning wifi.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There's probably a difference in mindset between the people who are intrigued or fascinated by the idea of life on other planet in general, which may well be common and exist within the solar system, and those who are interested in the idea of being woken up in the middle of the night to be probed by an alien space octopus.

The first question is about scientific enquiry and the deep philosophical questions of our place in the universe. The latter is an ego trip.

Yes I am being deliberately offensive about this. If aliens come down and melt my face, well done to them. If they want to fly overhead waving their enigmatic majesty around like a willy with LEDs strapped to it they can bugger off, I'm much more impressed by useful miracles like functioning wifi.

Space octopus :lolol::lolol:

I do rather like the idea of life being out there and I get intrigued by tales of alien visitors looking at our nuclear facilities etc.
But ultimately I’m hugely sceptical and nothing has outright convinced me of their existence or certainly that they have paid us a visit. But I like mysteries and I’m happy for it to remain one. I don't want boffins to solve every puzzle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here