Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UEFA to limit foreign players

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Interesting. Of the five teams that wouldn't have had enough homegrown players last year, four were British...
And even more surprisingly(for me at least) the other team is Ajax!

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Only in the squad though, they don't have to be on the pitch. They should bring back the original foreigners rule. It'd do our national team the world of good.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
It means big clubs will start pinching players at an even younger age.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
None of the English clubs should have too much trouble with that except Arsenal.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Silent Bob said:
None of the English clubs should have too much trouble with that except Arsenal.

Ashley Cole and Sol Cambell play regularly anyway so they'd only need to stick a couple of reserve teamers in the squad to meet the requirement.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Do they have English reserve teamers? In the league cup there was barely an Englishman playing for them!

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Silent Bob said:
Do they have English reserve teamers? In the league cup there was barely an Englishman playing for them!

No idea. It doesn't matter anyway, youth team, kit man whatever. They don't have to play.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Silent Bob said:

Hoyte, Smith, Pennant, Bentley, Taylor

I bet half of their players have been here long enough that they could claim British citizenship anyway.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Would Scots + Irish be deemed as foreign, as they have their own leagues?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Good question Dougdeep, something that has probably not been considered. Also, the problem for UEFA is that (I believe) you are not allowed to restrict employment rights for European Union citizens, their latest dictat appears to do that. I reckon that some of the bigger clubs have the clout to challenge this ruling and get it thrown out.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
dougdeep said:
Would Scots + Irish be deemed as foreign, as they have their own leagues?

Yes. As it'd apply to players from our leagues in Europe. Celtic and Rangers in particular, but I doubt it'll be too long till Shelbourne or Cork manage to get into the Champions League or UEFA proper.

Same for Wales, they do have their own league. Apparently :lolol:

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
That would throw up some interesting situations, I am British and could if selected play for England, I can however as the son of an Irish mother be selected for Ireland, that would mean that i could go from being considered a home grown player to being a foreigner. UEFA is arse, this is just further proof, if any were really needed.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
How long will it be before the EU interfere and say this is against the Common Market rules? Thats whats caused a lot of other rules to be changed lately...

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
MYOB, I think you will find that EU rules guarantee the right of any citizen to work unhindered in any other EU country, that means that we can work anywhere that we choose free from discrimination becuase of our nationality. I understand that quite a few teams have players from outside the EU and clearly they can't seek protection under that ruling, however it must protect those who do qualify, it seems to me that the UEFA ruling contradicts this.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Gully said:
MYOB, I think you will find that EU rules guarantee the right of any citizen to work unhindered in any other EU country, that means that we can work anywhere that we choose free from discrimination becuase of our nationality. I understand that quite a few teams have players from outside the EU and clearly they can't seek protection under that ruling, however it must protect those who do qualify, it seems to me that the UEFA ruling contradicts this.

Thats what I was saying - ordering teams to play local players breaks Common Market rules. Its annoying that the EU interfere, but they can't let football be used as an excuse for some company refusing the employ someone because of their nationality.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Is it restricting foreigners from working?

All it says is teams muct have a minimum of x home grown players. They are not preventing clubs from employing as many foreign players as they want.

What is this 25 man squad bollocks anyway? Matchday squads are 16 and pretty much every team will have more than 25 players on their books.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
There was rule with only 3 foreigners a few years back but AC Milan decided to sign six and rotate which basically blew the rule to shreds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here