Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UEFA to limit foreign players

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
There used to be some exceptions to employment law that allowed "discrimination" in certain circumstances. The only example I can remember was to do with Indians and restaurants. Don't know if it still exists though.

Is is Bilbao or Santander that only have players from within a 50 mile radius?

I can see the logic. Its bound to appeal to anti-globalization campaigners.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think it was Athletico Bilbao or a Spanish club that would only have basque players for quite a while.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
chip said:
Thanks Beach Hut, that sounds more like it.

It was late 80s as Howard Kendall managed them for a while, pretty certain it was Athletico Bilbao

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Doesn't go anywhere near far enough for me. 4 out of the squad of 25 have to be home grown, oh big deal. So when you say "UEFA to limit foreign players" that's limiting it to just 21 out of 25, hmmm. Hardly Draconian.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It has already been on the news this evening about how clubs are planning a legal challenge to this on the grounds of free movement of workers within the European Union.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Have any of you read the proposed rules properly? It says nothing about foreign players but only that squads need to contain a minimum number of homegrown players, and that to count as homegrown a player must have played 3 seasons at the club between the age of 15-21. For example Giggs counts as a homegrown player for Man U despite being 'foreign', as would John O'Shea (I think) and Owen Hargreaves for Bayern Munich. Basically it gets round EU laws by virtue of the fact that a player from any country can count as 'homegrown' provided they have come through the club's youth team ranks. I'm sure there must be a few French, Spanish and Italian teenagers playing at Premiership club academies who will fit the criteria.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Richie Morris said:
It has already been on the news this evening about how clubs are planning a legal challenge to this on the grounds of free movement of workers within the European Union.

Does the transfer window not also restrict the movement of workers by effectively saying you can only change jobs in August and January. I would have thought that could be challenged if the league wanted to.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Spot on nwgull.

Harry Redknapp commented its a great rule as long as teams like Arsenal can't pinch talented French players at like 14 and therefore can be classed as 'homegrown'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here