Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UEFA Cup Draw

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
It's been an odd season. We were playing much better football last season and I think if we were playing as well as last season we would be breathing right down Rangers neck and poss overtaken them. It is truly depressing that the worst Rangers team for 20 years are still 13 points ahead of us. Highlight was defo the win in Bordeaux. They were a class side and to have beaten them would have been a fantastic achievement. Levein got his tactics wrong in the home game but there was no shame in losing to them. We will come 3rd and should get into the UEFA cup league next season which will be attractive and lucrative. However, all this has been overshadowed by the complete mismanagement of the club by the Chief exec and the board. He is determined to sell the ground at the end of the season beacuse he has racked up a debt of £17 million on a £6m turnover. For further details see this thread.

http://www.northstandchat.biz/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16129&highlight=Heart+of+Midlothian

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
Thanks for the link Jambo.

I havent had time to get onto the Hearts site yet- has anything come of the Fans Utd Day on 27 March????

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
no. There is a big rally and march to the game planned for the Home game against Rangers next Saturday though. The Hearts messageboard, Kickback was shut down by the Pieman a fortnight ago although the Supporters Trust have started a kickback2 on www.homst.com . Hopefully there will be a Fans United day before the end of the season and I'll keep everyone posted.

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
He shut down the messageboard? Unbelieveable :angry:
I assume he had some lame pseudo-reason ie. personal abuse?

It would be interesting to see if we could organise some kind of NSC trip to Edinburgh if you get together a Fans Utd day at Tynecastle. I know theres been some discussion as to the apathy of some Scots supporters towards rival clubs, but if you/we put in the groundwork in advance then something could be made of it surely?

Incidently, i hadnt realised that the Cup in 1998 was you first trophy for 36 years. I usually pride myself on being a bit of a statto too (attendances circa 1990 aside, ahem) :blush:
I remember you going really close in 85-86 i think, and had assumed in my youth that you collected at least one trophy at the time.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
no, we lost the league and the cup in the same week. We'd been top of the league since November and lost 2 goals in the last 7 mins to Dundee handing it to Celtic on goal difference who won 5-0 to St Mirren in somewhat dubious circumstances (not that I'm bitter). We did something very similar in1964-65 when we lost 2-0 at home to Killie. If we'd scored one goal that day Killie would have to have scored 9. As a result goal difference was adopted the following year by the SFA to replace goal average which is how we lost it in 65. If goal average had been used in 85 we'd have won the league!

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
Its funny (or not, as it were) how it often happens that way innit- easier to lose everything than win one of your targets and not the other(s). As soon as ManU had won the league in 1999, you just knew that they would go on to do the 'treble', even if it did end up tighter than a ducks arse.

I'd known that you ended up trophy-less in that season, but had figured in retrospect that such an good side must have come away with something in the surrounding years...

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Jambo Seagull said:
We'd been top of the league since November and lost 2 goals in the last 7 mins to Dundee handing it to Celtic on goal difference who won 5-0 to St Mirren in somewhat dubious circumstances

Those "suspicious circumstances" from '85 were frequently pointed out by my Pars-supporting colleague when Chris Sutton made his ill-judged "lie down to Rangers" comments at the end of last season. What goes around comes around, I believe is the phrase I'm looking for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here