Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Two Key Signings

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
An article in the Argus talks about two "keys" signings.

Poyet: We need two more before we're ready

2:00pm Tuesday 31st July 2012 in Sport By Brian Owen

Gus Poyet says Albion need a striker and a midfielder

Gus Poyet has admitted his Albion squad is not yet ready for the new Championship season – but he expects that to change after making his two key signings.

Albion are back at work today after returning from their training trip to Spain. The management and medical staff will decide which players could do with a run in the friendly at Worthing tomorrow (7.45pm).

But Poyet admits he saw nothing in Spain to change his opinion that he is short of a striker and a midfielder. The Albion boss said: “We need two extra players for sure. We need to make sure those two are coming and when so they can adapt and understand how we play. It is about timing.”

Poyet is confident lessons learnt against Spanish side Cordoba on Saturday will prove handy in some Championship games. Albion had to work hard to get the ball back against opponents targeting promotion to the top flight.

He added: “There are teams in our league who have Premiership players and can keep the ball.

“We decided to press against Cordoba. We looked to get the ball back as soon as we could. A few times it worked and a few times they went through us and we had to get back quickly and into shape. We had to find different solutions.”

It suggests they will be big money signings if those to date are not his "key signings".

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Ah, them again.... one day we might even sign one of 'em.

misterspatch

Oct 16, 2011
Horsham
I know, I have been scouring the Net for clues for weeks.

It is so hard not to get excited these days though, as the standard of our signings has become amazing - and they were not even the "key" ones!

I think what he means is that the signings we have made are not as important as the ones to come. Doesn't necessarily mean they'll be even more amazing, but I really hope so.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
As I have said before, I would personally prefer that Gus keep schtum until we have signed someone. We have had "key" players, "special" players, etc etc all going to be signed soon/next week/before the weekend ... and so far nothing.

It only makes Gus appear somewhat foolish .... better that he says nothing and then surprises us with a signing.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
As I have said before, I would personally prefer that Gus keep schtum until we have signed someone. We have had "key" players, "special" players, etc etc all going to be signed soon/next week/before the weekend ... and so far nothing.

It only makes Gus appear somewhat foolish .... better that he says nothing and then surprises us with a signing.

Its only the bedwetters on here that get annoyed by this. If he says nothing, people assume they are doing nothing. He can't win.

We should know by now to take things with a pinch of salt

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

I could be wrong, but I get the impression he is more frustrated at the situation than us fans. Maybe his statements are his way of keeping the pressure on the Board?

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
I could be wrong, but I get the impression he is more frustrated at the situation than us fans. Maybe his statements are his way of keeping the pressure on the Board?
Why would he need to keep pressure on the Board? TB has already said the money's there - Gus/ Burke just need to find the players.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
- Gus/ Burke just need to find the players.

and reading between the lines convince them to come here for less money than they can get elsewhere, luckily Gus is also a hypnotist, he just nneds to get them to look into his eyes. I think that this is the challenging bit at the moment.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

I see NOTHING wrong with what he has said. He hasn't said the DIVISION, AGE, NATIONALITY or ANYTHING about the players he is after.

We know the positions. THATS IT. He's being pretty damn vague already.

Surely you don't want him to answer every question with "no comment". That would be ludicrous.

I think he is managing it perfectly well.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Why would he need to keep pressure on the Board? TB has already said the money's there - Gus/ Burke just need to find the players.

I get the impression (rightly or wrongly) that Gus does not fully agree with our wages policy, and thinks we should be prepared to pay more. There must be a reason why the much-heralded signings keep getting away.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Surely you don't want him to answer every question with "no comment". That would be ludicrous.

I think he is managing it perfectly well.

He doesn't need to say "no comment", just be a bit more vague (in my opinion) ... something along the lines of "we're working on a couple of things but it's very competitive out there and it will undoubtedly take a while to get the players we want".

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
I wish The Argus wouldn't even bother. It's the same f***ing story every week. Give us something new or don't even bother writing an article.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Do you think he phoned up Brian Owen and said "Brian, I still need two key signings, please can you print that in the paper"?

Or do you think he was doing his usual press conferences (that are part of his job) and was asked whether there were any more signings on the cards, to which he told the truth and said "Yeah, we still need a couple more, I'm doing my best to get them", and then the journalist made an article out of it?

I don't understand what you can possibly find fault with there. Would you rather he said "I'm not answering your question" or " No comment"? No you wouldn't, you'd moan then that he wasn't doing anything.

Its only the bedwetters on here that get annoyed by this. If he says nothing, people assume they are doing nothing. He can't win.

We should know by now to take things with a pinch of salt

Exactly. I cannot believe that after all this time, some people still don't understand how this stuff works. It's pretty f***ing basic really, anyone with an ounce of intelligence should be able to work it out.

I wish The Argus wouldn't even bother. It's the same f***ing story every week. Give us something new or don't even bother writing an article.

Good idea, I wonder if the Argus has thought about not bothering to write articles if there isn't much going on, I'm sure they wouldn't mind if they didn't sell any papers, they only do it for fun, after all.

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
Good idea, I wonder if the Argus has thought about not bothering to write articles if there isn't much going on, I'm sure they wouldn't mind if they didn't sell any papers, they only do it for fun, after all.

To be honest, The Argus write SHIT. Hence the reason I never buy one. I'm sure they can find something to write about which doesn't repeat itself, like the previous 2/3 articles. I'm sure they can also find something to write about other than the bin men discovering shit in their staff microwave.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
To be honest, The Argus write SHIT. Hence the reason I never buy one. I'm sure they can find something to write about which doesn't repeat itself, like the previous 2/3 articles. I'm sure they can also find something to write about other than the bin men discovering shit in their staff microwave.

Clearly they cant though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here