Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Twitter

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
OK, I still dont get this thing called Twitter. It must be a generation thing, I am very computer literate etc but I just dont get it.

Can some explain what I am supposed to be looking at:

For example I have just looked at @NotGusPoyet which I read on another thread and I got:

@Suspolfootball Forest fans singing homophobic songs yet they got a keeper called Camp

I see the attempt at a joke here but what else is in it, why would I want to keep reading this stuff?

Explain please someone.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Reading one tweet and then saying the while thing is shit seems fairly short sighted to me. We're fine with the fact you don't like twitter, you didn't need to share it.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Reading one tweet and then saying the while thing is shit seems fairly short sighted to me. We're fine with the fact you don't like twitter, you didn't need to share it.

Cant quite see what you were reading. I never once said I dont like it or it's shit, I said I dont understand it and could someone please help me by explaining what I am missing.

It is a serious request, and I thought forums were about sharing discussion.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Really? I read it as a sneer.

Honestly I have looked at it several times with interest to see if I would use it, but it goes right over my head. I am obviously missing something and obviously being quite thick. Just and explanation in lamens terms might help me.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
i didnt get it at first, its quite surprising how addictive it can get though

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Honestly I have looked at it several times with interest to see if I would use it, but it goes right over my head. I am obviously missing something and obviously being quite thick. Just and explanation in lamens terms might help me.
i started by following friends, then celebrities i have an interest in....john challis (boycie) for example. can be quite amusing at times

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It depends what you're after from it.

If you are after faster access to news exclusives, you need to find the people whose stuff you enjoy reading, or who will bring the news you want (as an albion fan you might want to follow andy naylor, bhafc, theat brian bloke who works at the argus with andy, nsc, etc. They will tend to tweet something either on posting an article online or to tell you they'reworking on it, giving you the outline of some news. For more general footie, or sports news a lot of journalists at the nationals have twitter accounts.

If you're after a laugh, you need to check out some of the comedians or spoof accounts (notbigsam is a big laugh), for regular funny tweets.

Some companies or studios will tweet offers and special deals, or breaking information about their products (this would include actors/film studios giving away things from sets, tickets to premier etc)

If you are a massive fan of a particular celebrity it can provide a way for you to feel closer to them. Some will respond to your tweets, some will retweet your posts, it provides you with some sort of acknowledgement from an idol. Even if all they did was skim the post and click the retweet button, some people seem to get off on knowing their "Hey, CMS, how's about a retweet?" getting retweeted. Some celebrities will do question and answers with their followers. Or sometimes it can simply be used to find out where you can see them, where their upcoming gigs are, get pre-sale codes, etc.

Some can be educational. There's one account that is tweeting world war two in real time, or something.

Though, beware some celebrities have so many followers that they have taken to accepting money to praise products in tweets as advertising.

Stinky Pete

Aug 31, 2009
London
Its quite a hard thing to explain. It took me a long time after signing up to "get it". But once you do it can be a really useful tool. For example i have been at work all day and use twitter to keep in touch with the game. You get almost instant updates and opinions if you follow the right people. And that goes for just about anything you're interested in. Just make sure you follow people that you are actually interested in or it becomes a bit pointless.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I had a problem with my phone and after checking online found that the tech team could sort it via advice on Twitter. So, I signed up and managed to sort the prob then I thought I'd take a look at what Twitter is all about. Well, soon felt totally underwhelmed by how banal and boring it all was, needless to say, my account has lain abandoned after 3 tweets.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
[MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION]... what is a retweet?

Pretty much what it sounds like. Someone tweeting something someone else has tweeted (usually accompanied with 'RT' to let people know). e.g.:

"RT [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION]... what is a retweet?" This is.

It's like forwarding an email.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Pretty much what it sounds like. Someone tweeting something someone else has tweeted (usually accompanied with 'RT' to let people know). e.g.:

Ah ok... I think! I'm someone else that has never followed this tweeting revolution.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
OK, I still dont get this thing called Twitter. It must be a generation thing, I am very computer literate etc but I just dont get it.

Can some explain what I am supposed to be looking at:

For example I have just looked at @NotGusPoyet which I read on another thread and I got:

@Suspolfootball Forest fans singing homophobic songs yet they got a keeper called Camp

I see the attempt at a joke here but what else is in it, why would I want to keep reading this stuff?

Explain please someone.

Today's team was posted on twitter at the same time as the club website if not before. Handy if you've got your mobile because it's sometimes difficult to read the club site on a small phone. Just one example but there are many others, as others have said can be quite fun & addictive

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
[MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION]... what is a retweet?

I've done it once before but it's worth a second pop...

Can I get a reeeeetweeeet?

big.jpg

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Are you not even a wee bit embarrassed to not understand one of the simplest websites on the internet? Whether you like it or not is one thing, but to not understand what you're looking at?! Facebook is much more complex, do you get that?

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
It depends what you're after from it.

If you are after faster access to news exclusives, you need to find the people whose stuff you enjoy reading, or who will bring the news you want (as an albion fan you might want to follow andy naylor, bhafc, theat brian bloke who works at the argus with andy, nsc, etc. They will tend to tweet something either on posting an article online or to tell you they'reworking on it, giving you the outline of some news. For more general footie, or sports news a lot of journalists at the nationals have twitter accounts.

If you're after a laugh, you need to check out some of the comedians or spoof accounts (notbigsam is a big laugh), for regular funny tweets.

Some companies or studios will tweet offers and special deals, or breaking information about their products (this would include actors/film studios giving away things from sets, tickets to premier etc)

If you are a massive fan of a particular celebrity it can provide a way for you to feel closer to them. Some will respond to your tweets, some will retweet your posts, it provides you with some sort of acknowledgement from an idol. Even if all they did was skim the post and click the retweet button, some people seem to get off on knowing their "Hey, CMS, how's about a retweet?" getting retweeted. Some celebrities will do question and answers with their followers. Or sometimes it can simply be used to find out where you can see them, where their upcoming gigs are, get pre-sale codes, etc.

Some can be educational. There's one account that is tweeting world war two in real time, or something.

Though, beware some celebrities have so many followers that they have taken to accepting money to praise products in tweets as advertising.

Thanks Acker for a detailed response, it is what I was after.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Its quite a hard thing to explain. It took me a long time after signing up to "get it". But once you do it can be a really useful tool. For example i have been at work all day and use twitter to keep in touch with the game. You get almost instant updates and opinions if you follow the right people. And that goes for just about anything you're interested in. Just make sure you follow people that you are actually interested in or it becomes a bit pointless.

Thnaks Stink, obviously not just me then. I may stick with it and see if it grows on me. Not really a celeb follower though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here