Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Twitter? Revolutionary new communication fast lane or garden wall for gossips?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This and that people feel they need to update "the world" on every. little. thing. they. are. doing. in case they suddenly get forgotten.

I find it odd and uncomfortable how people talk about themselves and friends on twitter as if they are celebrities;

"Going for #dinner with @babzybillbillo and @thatdavidshanza tonight! gonna be #epic! #soexcitedrightnow

Last edited:

Stinky Pete

Aug 31, 2009
London
This isn't the old days.

The majority of people growing up in a technologically advanced nation as we are have a thirst for news and information and they don't want it in tomorrows paper, they want to know what's going on right now. Some people are still behind the curve in that they're happy how things are, they'll buy the Times on a Sunday and read about the previous week. Their lives are not impacted by not being able to converse with hundreds of like-minded people they've probably never met. And this is completely fine, there's nothing wrong with that. They'll happily call people sad for spending too much time on the twitter-verse and enjoy the fresh air and long walks. Some people just don't get twitter.

For those that do, it's fantastic. We knew that Osama had been found before it was on the news. We can talk to TV stars as their new shows are airing on the TV (if that's your thing). We can get information directly from football players, rather than listening to hearsay paper talk. We usually know what's going on in the world before anyone else as news spreads like wildfire. Sure you get a number of idiots on there, but you can filter these out pretty easily, e.g., I never see anything on my timeline with the #bigbrother hashtag because you can mute this crap.

At the end of the day it's a tool that is there if you want to use it, and you can use it for pretty much anything you want. Following your hero, catching up on news, etc.

Pretty much spot on IMO

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
Twitter is an excellent way to communicate and meet new people, I have 1100 odd following me and I knew about 20 of them before I started tweeting, now I discuss politics, health, sport. I thought it was just people saying they were getting up and going to the toilet but it's not people have conversations and you can read about news and sport before the reporters have time to report it. I have friends from around the world now and there's always someone to talk to, it's invaluable to me as I don't get out much.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Let me put it this way. If I login into NSC there are thousands of registered users but very few that post anything that I find of any interest. There are gems, but there is also an awful amount of shite.

On Twitter, I can follow Edna K, Greg Wood, NSC's excellent twitter feed, Not Andy Naylor and Andy Naylor himself. The bonus is I don't have to read anything by Hove born and bred, Das Reich, ORS gull or the rest of them that post endless amounts of shite.

As others have said, It was brilliant on deadline day, It's great for team news on match days and personally its great for gambling with the instant updates I get.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Oh and I forgot. When I log into twitter, I'm not bombarded by baby photos, back to school photos and pictures of what you had for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I get the information I want, not that which I'm forced to view because it was awkward the last time I unfriended you and you asked why (it was a technical glitch, honest).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I use twitter FAR too much! I love it but then I'm careful about who I follow. Mostly it's Brighton fans and people associated with the club or with sites about it. Then it's comedians, writers, bloggers and other sports fans. So that's what I see. Football, articles, blogs and jokes. I also use it to pimp my own writing (not football related). I've had hilarious conversations with total strangers as well as meeting more Albion fans and chatting online with some who are a bit more like minded than some of the more extreme posters here.

I also don't allow phones at the dinner table....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Let me put it this way. If I login into NSC there are thousands of registered users but very few that post anything that I find of any interest. There are gems, but there is also an awful amount of shite.

On Twitter, I can follow Edna K, Greg Wood, NSC's excellent twitter feed, Not Andy Naylor and Andy Naylor himself. The bonus is I don't have to read anything by Hove born and bred, Das Reich, ORS gull or the rest of them that post endless amounts of shite.

As others have said, It was brilliant on deadline day, It's great for team news on match days and personally its great for gambling with the instant updates I get.

This plus you can follow the match if you're at a wedding, and I also find the Highways agency and B&H buses tweets very useful for getting to & from work to avoid hold ups.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here