Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Twitter? Revolutionary new communication fast lane or garden wall for gossips?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have tried Twitter and Facebook and cannot see what value the will add to my life so have closed both down. I found both pretty boring, especially Facebook.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
talk about mis-leading title. the "price" isnt from not using twitter, but from avoiding all "social media", which includes things like wiki's, IM etc. companies have used these widely for a decade. there are plenty of reports that show how social media, in particular twitter, have reduced productivity as people dick about. i know in my company IM is mainly used to chat with people in other departments, very little actual work gets done that way.

Yes, that piece does use some distorted statistics but I think the central point is that companies that use social media, be it Facebook or Twitter or whatever, will do better than those who don't.

Twitter is just one medium. Castigating it because it has people like Leon Knight behaving like dickheads is like blaming the Royal Mail for people sending poison pen letters.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
SO THE MOBILE PHONE WAS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR QUICK COMMUNICATION? I JUST FIND IT A BIT SPOOKY THAT PEOPLE WANT TO KNOW SO MUCH,ITS SEEMS TO HAVE STIFLED REAL INTERACTION. YOU SEE YOUNG KIDS IGNORED BY PARENTS BECAUSE OF TEXTING,TWEETING ETC. As for famous people why would you want to know where they are? I really don't get it:(
When was the last time you phoned Adam El-Abd? If you want to know what famous people are up to, it's good for that. If you want to know what friends are up to, it's good for that - assuming your friends use it. If you want to know what the latest developments are in a field you are particularly interested in, it's good for that. It depends how you use it. Personally I use it mainly to keep up to date on things I am interested in, not to let the word know I am eating a banana. It was great on transfer deadline day, and it's perfect if you have a smartphone.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The beauty about twitter is that it's so flexible. I use it as my personal news feed, adding accounts on subjects that interest me. It's also great for breaking news.

It is great for breaking news if you take some time to build up a decent 'Follow' list.

Clearly there's a load of shite on there, a fair bit from me, but no one is forcing you to follow celebs with nothing to say.

Like anything else, it's probably a skill using it well for sales purposes, getting your message across without being too in your face. I actually think Piglets Pantry use Twitter very well.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
So I didn't make it up.

I don't get your point, assuming you have one.

Option A: Have a little laugh at yourself.

Option B: React like a scalded cat, lashing out wildly in humourless, self-important fashion.

Hmm. Let me see, which one was it. Again.

Not Big Sam is the only thing worth looking at on twitter.

But then I'm old, have no facebook, only just mastered the mobile and it took me 3 years to register on here.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I just assumed twitter was for twits and, with me not being a twit, I just left it at that.

when was the last time you phoned adam el-abd? If you want to know what famous people are up to, it's good for that. If you want to know what friends are up to, it's good for that - assuming your friends use it. If you want to know what the latest developments are in a field you are particularly interested in, it's good for that. It depends how you use it. Personally i use it mainly to keep up to date on things i am interested in, not to let the word know i am eating a banana. It was great on transfer deadline day, and it's perfect if you have a smartphone.

i just say hello to him when he walking his dog down the park,why would you want to know what famous people are doing? Baffling??? So what transfer deadline news do you have that i don't:mad:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Option A: Have a little laugh at yourself.

Option B: React like a scalded cat, lashing out wildly in humourless, self-important fashion.

Hmm. Let me see, which one was it. Again.

The original post (about short attention spans) was your 'Option A', but so long as you can get an unnecessary barbed dig in, all is well with the world.

BTW - lashing out wildly? Scalded cat? Impressive use of hyperbole.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
What about going town the high street to do some looting? Still can't see we have gained from the whole mobile,facebook twitter thing. Must be a dinosaur i suppose, so it looks like i'm off to the moon:facepalm:

Useful business marketing tool. Obviously requires that you build a network of followers on Twitter, then you can tweet latest news, product releases, events etc. in short messages with hyperliks to the websites. In my view, a more efficient and effective marketing tool than FB, LinkedIn and the others.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
As i said i must be a dinosaur as i ask the boys how their day was WHILE WE SIT ROUND THE DINNER TABLE:)

But, surely, while you're sat round the dinner table they are communicating constantly with their friends who they have spent the entire day with but haven't seen for at least an hour? Or are you man enough to say "put the phone down and communicate with ME"?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I have tried Twitter and Facebook and cannot see what value the will add to my life so have closed both down. I found both pretty boring, especially Facebook.

That's not a bad answer. I use both sparingly, with my personal accounts, for amusement purposes e.g. The_BigSam on twitter who is a genius and makes me roar with laughter. Depends what you mean by "value" as they are both reasonably effective business marketing tools.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here