Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Twitter? Revolutionary new communication fast lane or garden wall for gossips?

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
In the world of instant information it allows people to communicate quickly. I think it has a number of uses. The more famous people use it to let their fans know where there are and what they are doing while others use it to let friends and family know what they are up to.

Think of it as the facebook status without the other stuff that comes with facebook.

In the world of instant information it allows people to communicate quickly. I think it has a number of uses. The more famous people use it to let their fans know where there are and what they are doing while others use it to let friends and family know what they are up to.

Think of it as the facebook status without the other stuff that comes with facebook.

SO THE MOBILE PHONE WAS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR QUICK COMMUNICATION? I JUST FIND IT A BIT SPOOKY THAT PEOPLE WANT TO KNOW SO MUCH,ITS SEEMS TO HAVE STIFLED REAL INTERACTION. YOU SEE YOUNG KIDS IGNORED BY PARENTS BECAUSE OF TEXTING,TWEETING ETC. As for famous people why would you want to know where they are? I really don't get it:(

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its online, public texting. whether its usfull or not depends on the content, on the message and messenger. chaps in Tunisia or Egypt saying they are starting a revolution is useful. chapettes in essex saying they are getting their make up on for a night out isnt.

personally i've stayed away as the noise to signal ratio is far too high. anything worthwhile soon filters out into mainstream media.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
If you run, for example, a latest footy result service for non league football, this is a very useful tool which was not available this low down the pyramid echelon a few years ago. It also involves using a mobile phone which kind of negates your argument that mobile phones have somehow been usurped. You need that phone in order to make the tweets direct from a match. You can also filter out the 'Essex girl putting make up on' and generally I only follow, am followed by, people interested in non league football, so it works for that reason.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Most businesses get this: if they don't it's their loss
The $1.3 Trillion Price Of Not Tweeting At Work | Fast Company

talk about mis-leading title. the "price" isnt from not using twitter, but from avoiding all "social media", which includes things like wiki's, IM etc. companies have used these widely for a decade. there are plenty of reports that show how social media, in particular twitter, have reduced productivity as people dick about. i know in my company IM is mainly used to chat with people in other departments, very little actual work gets done that way.

If you run, for example, a latest footy result service for non league football, this is a very useful tool which was not available this low down the pyramid echelon a few years ago. It also involves using a mobile phone which kind of negates your argument that mobile phones have somehow been usurped. You need that phone in order to make the tweets direct from a match. You can also filter out the 'Essex girl putting make up on' and generally I only follow, am followed by, people interested in non league football, so it works for that reason.

I look at the results in the non league paper:)

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
SO THE MOBILE PHONE WAS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR QUICK COMMUNICATION? I JUST FIND IT A BIT SPOOKY THAT PEOPLE WANT TO KNOW SO MUCH,ITS SEEMS TO HAVE STIFLED REAL INTERACTION. YOU SEE YOUNG KIDS IGNORED BY PARENTS BECAUSE OF TEXTING,TWEETING ETC. As for famous people why would you want to know where they are? I really don't get it:(

Yes the phone is great if you are just calling your mum / wife / girl friend to say you are going to be late. By what if you are planning with a group of 15 friends to go out for the night. You agree to meet at some pub. However you get their first to find it is closed for a refit. You can tweet to say pub a closed going to head to pub b instead.

its online, public texting. whether its usfull or not depends on the content, on the message and messenger. chaps in Tunisia or Egypt saying they are starting a revolution is useful. chapettes in essex saying they are getting their make up on for a night out isnt.

personally i've stayed away as the noise to signal ratio is far too high. anything worthwhile soon filters out into mainstream media.

What about going town the high street to do some looting? Still can't see we have gained from the whole mobile,facebook twitter thing. Must be a dinosaur i suppose, so it looks like i'm off to the moon:facepalm:

Yes the phone is great if you are just calling your mum / wife / girl friend to say you are going to be late. By what if you are planning with a group of 15 friends to go out for the night. You agree to meet at some pub. However you get their first to find it is closed for a refit. You can tweet to say pub a closed going to head to pub b instead.

In the old days you would just wait in the nearest pub:blush:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

or you could just text, and not broadcast to the entire world.

Oddsocks

May 1, 2012

They're not ignoring their kids, it's them they are tweeting and texting, cos speaking isn't cool!!!:lolol:

Actually, Twitter is the only way you can find out what teenagers have done with their day. (one's own teenagers I hasten to add!!)

They're not ignoring their kids, it's them they are tweeting and texting, cos speaking isn't cool!!!:lolol:

Actually, Twitter is the only way you can find out what teenagers have done with their day. (one's own teenagers I hasten to add!!)
As i said i must be a dinosaur as i ask the boys how their day was WHILE WE SIT ROUND THE DINNER TABLE:)

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
In the old days you would just wait in the nearest pub:blush:

This isn't the old days.

The majority of people growing up in a technologically advanced nation as we are have a thirst for news and information and they don't want it in tomorrows paper, they want to know what's going on right now. Some people are still behind the curve in that they're happy how things are, they'll buy the Times on a Sunday and read about the previous week. Their lives are not impacted by not being able to converse with hundreds of like-minded people they've probably never met. And this is completely fine, there's nothing wrong with that. They'll happily call people sad for spending too much time on the twitter-verse and enjoy the fresh air and long walks. Some people just don't get twitter.

For those that do, it's fantastic. We knew that Osama had been found before it was on the news. We can talk to TV stars as their new shows are airing on the TV (if that's your thing). We can get information directly from football players, rather than listening to hearsay paper talk. We usually know what's going on in the world before anyone else as news spreads like wildfire. Sure you get a number of idiots on there, but you can filter these out pretty easily, e.g., I never see anything on my timeline with the #bigbrother hashtag because you can mute this crap.

At the end of the day it's a tool that is there if you want to use it, and you can use it for pretty much anything you want. Following your hero, catching up on news, etc.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here