Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tsunami Donations

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
To be fair, there's a bit of "how long's a piece of string" with this sort of thing - e.g the British government could say "right, people matter more than museums" and reintroduce museum admission fees and give all the money to the tsunami appeal.

It must be virtually impossible for a national government to agree on an acceptable amount - how do they decide? (There might well be an answer to this which I'd be interested to hear.)

In any case, never mind what the government is up to, I'd guess that every bit from individuals helps at the moment.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The Great Cornholio said:
I'm sorry if my views offend anyone but they are my views. I shall keep them to myself from now on.

Don't be daft, it's a good point. But see my post above - how much is the right amount for a government to give?

What about how much could, say, Microsoft or maybe BP - who have recently been making about USD30,000 PER MINUTE, that's $40 MILLION a day - afford to give?

Man of Harveys said:
Don't be daft, it's a good point. But see my post above - how much is the right amount for a government to give?

What about how much could, say, Microsoft or maybe BP - who have recently been making about USD30,000 PER MINUTE, that's $40 MILLION a day - afford to give?

Maybe - but on reflection it wasn't the right time to post views like that. I responded within 30 seconds of reading the updated amount and just posted my gut reaction. Having attacked Perseus for something similiar, it was a bit daft. I don't apologise for my views but for any offence people may have taken.

As for a right amount - I have no idea. But my first reaction on hearing £15 million was that it was way too low. Children in Need raises £15 million. Setting a figure may not be the wisest course. Anyone remember Thatchers Government wanting tax from Live Aid and Band Aid? Maybe announce the figure after the event and just concentrate on finding out what is needed.

I was thinking earlier how someone like Archer could spend £1 million of his new found wealth on his own companies products to send out to help rebuild houses. Would he miss it? I doubt it. I wonder how many people of that kind of wealth do donate. I am sure I would in thier position but would I? Or with an attitude like that, would I be in their position?

Anyway, enough from me on this subject. I've had my say, sent my money and don't want to turn this thread into a slanging match when we should all be pulling together.

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
JCB have donated equipment worth £500K and Vodaphone a million.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
There is more than enough money in the world that could be used to help re-build these countries. Sadly, it is in the bank accounts of mega corporations who think that a million is sufficient when they make obscene amounts of profits every day-as per examples mentioned....

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Donation sent. I don't often give to charity but this time I think it has to be done. I hope my small contribution in some way helps the terrible suffering.

Aug 12, 2003
Perth WA
Kent Seagull said:
Donation sent. I don't often give to charity but this time I think it has to be done. I hope my small contribution in some way helps the terrible suffering.

:clap2:

I have a freind who had to make decision between her five year old and her infant...she physically let her older child go and she spent 20 hours living this spontaneous decsion before very luckily being reunited with her daughter...many are living with the same sort of trauma without a happy ending...

Donate sensibly with whatever you can afford. this is not about Corporations or polittics this is about human inadequacy and natural disater.... 100000+ lost their lives and MILLIONS are affected...Not In Your Back Yard but non the less...it happened :nono:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
A friend of mine from Uni is over there. Lived with her last year. Got an email saying she's safe though. Tried to donate but it won't go though. Will try again later.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Just think how much money will be pissed up against the wall tomorrow night. If everyone donated just half of what they intend to spend on beer there would be millions of pounds more in donations and a lot less sore heads on NYD. Can't be bad!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Good call. I will go without for the day.:drink:

Kent Seagull said:
Just think how much money will be pissed up against the wall tomorrow night. If everyone donated just half of what they intend to spend on beer there would be millions of pounds more in donations and a lot less sore heads on NYD. Can't be bad!

To be fair, over £25 million already donated shows this country does care and are doing their bit. Personally speaking, I would be more than happy if people donated the money they would otherwise spend on fireworks that they will let off at 1am tomorrow. But I am an old grouch.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Just got an email from a mate who's over in Thailand atm. Thankfully she was on Koh Samet, so unaffected by waves. Bloody scary, though.

Donated tonight, but am a bit skint now :dunce:

Lord Bracknell said:
The magnitude of this catastrophe just hasn't registered. Its effects will only be relieved with financial commitments on a such a massive scale that will impact on the world economy. Individual generosity, though laudable, won't be anywhere near enough.
There are one or two people who have misinterpreted what I was trying to say in my earlier post.

I am not suggesting that donations to the Relief Agencies are not going to be effective, or that the Agencies won't make a difference. They will.

But we'll have to do far more that expect the Relief Agencies to resolve the problems.

This catastrophe WILL have a long-term impact on the world economy. For a start, I would hope that the European and US leisure wear industry will realise that the workforce of South East Asia now has something far more important to do than manufacture cheap trainers and replica football shirts for western consumers who are seeking the cheapest possible products. Local reconstruction work must take priority. If we end up paying substantially more for luxury electrical goods, because they are no longer assembled by low-income workers in South East Asia, then so be it.

The reconstruction of Europe after the catastrophe of the Second World War was the dominant feature of the world economy for at least fifteen years. This event could rival that in significance.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Government donations to date

World Bank $250m
UK $96m
EU $44m
US: $35m
Canada: $33m
Japan: $30m
Australia: $27m
France: $20.4m
Denmark: $15.6m
Saudi Arabia: $10m

Cost of US cruise missile program $11,210m

Last edited:

El Presidente said:
Government donations to date

World Bank $250m
UK $96m
EU $44m
US: $35m
Canada: $33m
Japan: $30m
Australia: $27m
France: $20.4m
Denmark: $15.6m
Saudi Arabia: $10m

Cost of US cruise missile program $11,210m
Total value of government donations = $561 million

Spread around 10 million displaced people = $56 per head (approximately £29).

Hopelessly inadequate, I fear.

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
I would like to mention that there will be a bucket collection at Loftus Road on Saturday if you want to make donations to the relief fund.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
SussexHoop said:
I would like to mention that there will be a bucket collection at Loftus Road on Saturday if you want to make donations to the relief fund.

Good. I'll make my donation that way. :)

Exmouth Seagull

Sep 11, 2003
I tend to be a bit wary of bucket collections. I accept that the vast majority are completely legit. But you can never be certain that somewhere between the point of collection and the bank that an unscrupulous person may get their opportunity to pocket some of the cash.

If you donate by phone or online at least you can be entirely sure the money has reached the DEC. (Yes, I have donated already - online!)

At this time of of year I ask everybody can you splash out on extravagant gifts/new year piss ups/fancy dress etc with a clear concience if you have not made a donation to the relief effort?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here