Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tsunami Donations

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Anybody able to verify this number is OK? ???

(apologies for any maybe unfounded suspicion, but there's a load of scamming wise-guys around nowadays)

Last edited:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Cereal Killer said:
Aussie Cricket team donated their test winnings to the fund. Big well done clap for them I think they deserve!:clap2: :clap2: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Be good to see our boys do the same

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
:bounce:

0870 606 0900

I know this will sound terrible, but it's been preying on my mind for some days.

With 10 million people (say) left homeless and effectively destitute, what real difference will our donations make? The very best efforts of charity collections in Britain raise about £30 million. Add the £15 million that the UK government has already pledged and what do you get? £4.50 per victim.

Multiply that by ten (to take account of the fact that this in an international fundraising effort) and you get to £45 per victim.

Enough to rebuild a house? Enough to provide safe drinking water? Enough to combat an epidemic? Enough to restore employment to fishermen? I fear not.

The magnitude of this catastrophe just hasn't registered. Its effects will only be relieved with financial commitments on a such a massive scale that will impact on the world economy. Individual generosity, though laudable, won't be anywhere near enough.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Lord Bracknell said:
Add the £15 million that the UK government has already pledged and what do you get? £4.50 per victim.

Multiply that by ten (to take account of the fact that this in an international fundraising effort) and you get to £45 per victim.

It's not the victims that need the money though, Lord B. It's the survivors.

According to the appeal £50 will rebuild a house. If only one family can start all over again then it is worth it.

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Lord B - Well as you say its been praying on your mind. Here is how it was explained to me. The relief agencies have money (say CARE or OXFAM) the issue is that this disaster will take away all the money they have built up and then some. Oxfam reps were on TV here in Canada saying that the money raising efforts are also to help rebuild the reserves which will be fully depleted by this disaster.

If 4.50 gets someone the water they need to survive then it is a lot of money.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I hear our government has donated $20M and Australia,Japan and the U.S has done likewise.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Lord B, you didn't take into account funds donated by companies. I've just had a press release from one company that's donated 2.5 million dollars; multiply that by 100 (at least) and add that to the pile and there's much more

And don't forget that the costs of rebuilding these lives would be far less than it would be in a western country.

dougdeep said:
I hear our government has donated $20M and Australia,Japan and the U.S has done likewise.

Which is shockingly low. Do we still have EEC Food mountains? Probably not but if we do - get it sent to Asia and Africa. You can understand the reluctance of sending money to famine ridden countries as it could well end up funding the civil wars. But the money would all help survivors rebuild their lives in this case.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
In the nicest possible way, let's not dilute the issue too much here: lots of the most desperate people alive need just a tiny little of our money at the moment - and if you're not sure if you've got it to spare, just think how much money most of us have spent/pissed away in the shops in the last 2-3 weeks.

If only one person can only spare a quid, it's still well worth it. Give as much as you can. The website worked OK just now.

http://www.dec.org.uk

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
The Great Cornholio said:
Do we still have EEC Food mountains? Probably not but if we do - get it sent to Asia and Africa.

The food mountains aren't actually enormous piles of food in warehouses in Belgium. They are a figure of speech for all the produce that the EU gives farmers a subsidy for growing.

But perhaps the EU, and other major economies, could donate the cost of a dozen fighter jets each towards the disaster relief fund.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
The food mountains aren't actually enormous piles of food in warehouses in Belgium. They are a figure of speech for all the produce that the EU gives farmers a subsidy for growing.

But perhaps the EU, and other major economies, could donate the cost of a dozen fighter jets each towards the disaster relief fund.

I did wonder why it didn't go off! :jester: I steer clear of anything political but just remembered a similar line being trotted out years ago and it just stuck. The donations are still woefully inadequate though.

Loathed as I am to make this point after having a go at Perseus for something similar (That was on a condolensce thread though), how much money did we spend on "avenging" 2500 deaths in 9/11? A damn sight more than £15 million. I suppose we don't have much more "aid" to spare after dropping it all on Iraq and Afghanistan. :nono:

And if you really want to know my political views - we could raise £15 million by selling 2 or 3 paintings from Buckingham Palace. Which would probably be bought by museums meaning that the general public would be able to see them rather than just the priviledged few. But I digress.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here