Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trump

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
About once every year or so I am minded to post this video, I really wish some of you guys would take this message on board and come to understand, with humility and good grace, that there are problems with the ways you are approaching views which are different from your own and the people who hold them.

You might think that listening to people you disagree with, and giving them a fair hearing without trying to confirm your own prejudices, would somehow weaken your own "position". Actually, it would make you a better person, clearer on where you stand and why. If you are right, then no problem that will bare itself out. But if you are at all wrong, or making any errors in the way you are thinking about things, or the way you are looking at other people, then it might help you to correct them. That would be good for those other people, but it would be good for you too. Infact I would argue that it's the first necessary step towards making the world a better place.

"The greatest challenge I faced was peeling back the layers of my own bias. It turns out I did meet my enemy while filming, it was my ego, saying that I was right, and they were subhuman."
Cassie Jaye

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
About once every year or so I am minded to post this video, I really wish some of you guys would take this message on board and come to understand, with humility and good grace, that there are problems with the ways you are approaching views which are different from your own and the people who hold them.

You might think that listening to people you disagree with, and giving them a fair hearing without trying to confirm your own prejudices, would somehow weaken your own "position". Actually, it would make you a better person, clearer on where you stand and why. If you are right, then no problem that will bare itself out. But if you are at all wrong, or making any errors in the way you are thinking about things, or the way you are looking at other people, then it might help you to correct them. That would be good for those other people, but it would be good for you too. Infact I would argue that it's the first necessary step towards making the world a better place.

"The greatest challenge I faced was peeling back the layers of my own bias. It turns out I did meet my enemy while filming, it was my ego, saying that I was right, and they were subhuman."
Cassie Jaye

Fukk off.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I see 25 million have already voted by post, it all points to Trump thinking he’s won on the night before these votes come into the equation.

It’s going to be carnage

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
If Trump loses he still has a few weeks to flee the country before his term ends.

Last edited:

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

Do you want to try and be a just a bit more patronising maybe?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Cassie Jaye

I don't disagree with what you are saying.

However the right wing are great at taking this approach to (rightly) rubbish the left wing liberals who just want to shut down any debate.
but not so good at turning that on themselves and clearly evaluating their opponents arguments and "peeling back the layers" of their own bias.

It is just a very useful stick used to undermine arguments the "social justice warriors" have had the moral high ground on for decades.

The left need to have a better argument than "You're thick and racist, because it doesn't work.
The thick and racist voters prefer to be told that they are being misrepresented by "fake news" and the "liberal elite".

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Do you want to try and be a just a bit more patronising maybe?

My intention wasn't to be patronising. I have these conversations with people because I used to have the same kind of attitude that I see people showing on here. I know how difficult it is to move away from that. I think, once you think in that way it's genuinely one of the hardest things in the world to let go of that mentality.

Whatever you political viewpoint is, people who hold the opposing view are not evil because of it. If you approach things like that then the likelyhood is that you will never robustly test what you believe, there will never seem like there is any need to. You're good, they're bad. If you can resist that temptation and assume the best about people, and if you can listening openly to other points of view, then you will sharpen your own point of view. In some ways you will know better how to make your case. Nothing makes you a more effective communicator than the ability to demonstrate that you fully understand the opposing view, can make a positive case for the opposing view, but still disagree despite that. On some other things, where it is warrented, you might even change your mind. We all need to at least be willing, in the face of a better argument than our own, to change our minds. We all have the capacity to be wrong at times, and if we have an unwillingness to change our minds to compensate for that when it's neccessary, then we are doomed to be wrong more than we need to be.

Most importantly you will be able to have civilized discussions with people you don't agree with. That can only be an improvement on butting heads and insults. I look back on how I used to be with some shame and embarassment. I felt reightous, but that betrayed an arrogance and it fuelled an ignorance, neither of which are healthy qualities.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Red wave is coming

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Red wave is coming

Not surprised with the incumbent President being a genius. Looks like he’s sorted how to appeal to the women unsure whether to vote for the pussy grabbing Orange bungle****.

"Go buy a dishwasher. I said what's wrong with this thing? It doesn't clean the dishes right. The women come up to me, the women who they say don't like me -- they actually do like me a lot. Suburban women, please vote for me. I'm saving your house. I'm saving your community. I'm keeping your crime way down."

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I actually only posted a videos of someone giving their opinion, and another video of a debate between both sides.

Too many people on here seem to live on a diet of biased reporting and spin.

I am not for a second suggesting that if you were more thoughtful about what you read and watched you would all be Trump supporting conservatives. But you might have a better understanding of why, despite what the world looks like from where you are standing, the outcomes of elections etc don't seem to reflect that. It's because you are living in a bit of a bubble. People you don't agree with all being racist, sexist, everythingaphobic etc, is certainly an easy way to see things, but it is far from the truth, and approaching things with that mentality should really be beneath you.

I know I'm wasting my time, but I am reminded of a quote from Richard Feynman, "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool."

There is a big difference between bias. Guardian v Daily Telegraph. New York Times v New York Post and out and out bullshit.

Trump just makes up lies on the hoof, that's not subjective opinion it's fallacy

As Mike Pence said in the VP debate. Anyone is entitled to their own opinion, they're not entitled to their own facts.

The cult of trump is an alternative reality or lies, half truth and distortion put forward as fact.

That's not simple political bias.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There is a big difference between bias. Guardian v Daily Telegraph. New York Times v New York Post and out and out bullshit.

Trump just makes up lies on the hoof, that's not subjective opinion it's fallacy

As Mike Pence said in the VP debate. Anyone is entitled to their own opinion, they're not entitled to their own facts.

The cult of trump is an alternative reality or lies, half truth and distortion put forward as fact.

That's not simple political bias.

His own words are enough. I don't read any political move of him.

His comments about Fauci today (who they recently used in campaign literature) show he is unhinged.

I don't know much about Biden, but the sooner things go back to a degree of normal the better.

KeithDublin

Aug 23, 2019
His own words are enough. I don't read any political move of him.

His comments about Fauci today (who they recently used in campaign literature) show he is unhinged.

I don't know much about Biden, but the sooner things go back to a degree of normal the better.

Exactly right. People on this thread are making out it's like choosing between Blair and Major, or Bush and Gore, it isn't....it's choosing between an unhinged, racist baffoon who wants to **** democracy, and an uninspiring, centrist politician. This is not a normal situation. It's funny, even though Biden leaves a lot to be desired, his 'kindly uncle' routine, and unthreatening nature is exactly what a lot people here want, after 4 years of Trump.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Exactly right. People on this thread are making out it's like choosing between Blair and Major, or Bush and Gore, it isn't....it's choosing between an unhinged, racist baffoon who wants to **** democracy, and an uninspiring, centrist politician. This is not a normal situation. It's funny, even though Biden leaves a lot to be desired, his 'kindly uncle' routine, and unthreatening nature is exactly what a lot people here want, after 4 years of Trump.

MAGA

Trump 2020

One of many rallies

CNS-0615 trump rally fla crowd c.jpg

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The combined knowledge of US politics on NSC is about the same as what James Carville has in his little toe.

Just a little.reminder, this is far from a lock.
[tweet]1318426258594816000[/tweet]

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
The combined knowledge of US politics on NSC is about the same as what James Carville has in his little toe.

Just a little.reminder, this is far from a lock.
[tweet]1318426258594816000[/tweet]

Under no illusions.

Biden's lead at national level seems pretty solid now, and in any sane world Biden would be home and safe. But given the (stupid) US system, it only takes a very small shift in sentiment and Trump is within a polling error of victory in enough swing states to sneak over the line. No wonder the Democrats are desperately signalling their concern, I suspect it was complacency that lost them the election 2016 as much as anything.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Little Miss Stat is off due to Covid and I'm listening to her zoomed 1933 Germany history lesson.

Her teacher is approaching it as "Make Germany Great Again" while only discussing "The Nazi's" and "the Nazi party".

Am I right to be a little off at this approach?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Little Miss Stat is off due to Covid and I'm listening to her zoomed 1933 Germany history lesson.

Her teacher is approaching it as "Make Germany Great Again" while only discussing "The Nazi's" and "the Nazi party".

Am I right to be a little off at this approach?

Rather depends on what rhetoric the Nazi Party were actually using at the time I suppose.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here