Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trump

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
You won't see thousands of Republican voters in one area out on the streets burning, looting and rioting across the nation.

I agree with your statement about being consistent. Everything is the Democrats fault in your world. Having reread your take on the Charlottesville incidents earlier it's amazing how far you will go to bend logic to make it so.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I agree with your statement about being consistent. Everything is the Democrats fault in your world. Having reread your take on the Charlottesville incidents earlier it's amazing how far you will go to bend logic to make it so.

That's because the Democrats created the Trump problem.

The Republican Party didn't even want him but the Democrats were so truly corrupt and determined to openly try to bring him down they created this cultural phenomenon that railed so hard against them that Trump someone how won when he had no right to.

If people want to get angry about Trump, take it out on those who played such a huge part in putting him into power.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You won't see thousands of Republican voters in one area out on the streets burning, looting and rioting across the nation.

From various correspondents covering the election in the US for The Guardian....." At Donald Trump’s final rally of the 2020 campaign, thousands of supporters trudged through muddy fields and waited in endless lines to hear the president speak, on the eve of what could be his defeat – or the start of another four years.

Trump delivered his speech at midnight in Grand Rapids, Michigan, a critical swing state where the president is hoping for a repeat of 2016, when he unexpectedly beat Hillary Clinton.

In the darkness, as temperatures dipped to 40F (4C), Trump’s supporters were upbeat and optimistic, but many also said they were expecting unrest in the wake of the election.......“There’s going to be violence either way,” whether Trump or Biden wins, said Angela Young, 43. As a gun owner from a small town in Michigan, she said, she was not worried about her personal safety. But the prospect of election-related violence in the United States was “straight-up unacceptable”.

It was less than a month after prosecutors foiled a rightwing plot to kidnap the Democratic governor of Michigan and put her on trial for treason, but rally attendees were more focused on the risk of renewed protests from the left in response to a Trump victory. “Lock her up!” the Grand Rapids crowd chanted early in the night, at a mention of Governor Gretchen Whitmer’s name."

"Americans are bracing for an election day unlike any in US history, overshadowed by a direct threat from Donald Trump of “violence on the streets” if the vote count is not cut short, stoking fears that democracy itself is at stake when the polls close on Tuesday night.

The president’s incendiary tweet, which was quickly labelled by Twitter as potentially misleading, was fired off amid a febrile atmosphere on the last night of his campaign, with reports of mobs of his supporters driving around the streets in flag-waving motorcades seeking to intimidate opponents, while business districts in major cities boarded up windows.[...]

The dark warnings from the president marked the conclusion of a campaign that was in many ways unprecedented."

"It is the first election in which the incumbent president has said he would try to stop the vote count if early returns on election night show him to be ahead, and has openly encouraged acts of intimidation by his supporters "

“If Trump wins, you know they’re going to be in the streets, rioting,” a 57-year-old man said. He was from an area north of Flint, Michigan, which had not seen a lot of unrest during the protests over the summer. He also declined to give his name.

“I’d hate to think there’d be violence and rioting from anyone on our side, but I can see it happening,” the man added."

"An hour away, in Lansing, one of Michigan’s black state Democratic representatives had been preparing for an election day spent monitoring the polls in black neighborhoods for voter intimidation. There are fears of men with guns showing up at the polls, after a Michigan court overruled the secretary of state from banning open carrying of firearms at polling places.

“There is a little anxiety in our community over whether people are going to be able to vote safely,” state representative Sarah Anthony said in an interview Monday afternoon.

Some people were also concerned that if Trump lost the election, there could be renewed armed rightwing protests at Michigan’s capitol, such as the demonstrations against the coronavirus lockdowns this spring, Anthony said. "

So, there you have it.Trump whipping up an invisible bogeyman that only he can save Trump supporters and America from., so standard snake oil salesman tactics. So, maybe we should all take a step back and think of Mr Trumps words and deeds, encouraging intimidation at the polls, tacit encoouragement at innsurection at state level, a refusal to allow all votes to be counted after polling, clims taht there will be " Massive Voter Fraud " when it has been proved time and again that there never has been before and unlikely to happen this time and then the real biggie, potential refusual to accept the result of the election ! Utterly incredible.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Ok well, I tried to have a civil discussion with you. I am open to what you have to say, as long as you can justify it. I'm not lazy or inept, I just can't prove a negative can I. You said that what you had read was "Very interesting if not a little disturbing", I would have thought you could offer up an example.

Telling me there is an ocean of stuff, while I can't find any, doesn't convince me that what you are saying is true. It convinces me that what you are saying isn't true, and if you didn't know it before this conversation, you probably know it now. It's just a shame you don't have the humility to admit it.

I just googled "voter intimidation US election" and found a few things.

This article explains the legalities and gives real-life examples. https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/10/30/voter-intimidation/?outputType=amp

Some activities considered legal seem fairly intimidatory to me. Imagine going to vote and being met outside a polling station by an armed group chanting campaign slogans. Trump and his associates have called for "an army" of his supporters to descend on polling stations to monitor voters.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
something overlooked is there are congress elections too. The Economist has the prediction Democrats are going to comfortably win. would be odd people go out and vote Democrat for congress and not president.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park

The Republican Party didn't even want him but the Democrats were so truly corrupt and determined to openly try to bring him down they created this cultural phenomenon that railed so hard against them that Trump someone how won when he had no right to.

If people want to get angry about Trump, take it out on those who played such a huge part in putting him into power.

Republicans might not have wanted him but many Red Senators have stayed quiet while Trump’s behaviour and rhetoric required some censure. Biden is up against Trump because he provides a Vanilla, Washington-establishment figure to go back to; a safe-haven if you like. If Trump is re-elected then the Democrats will know that the game will need to change into something probably even more unpalatable and incendiary. If Biden’s majority is indisputable there will be many ‘establishment’ Republicans who will aggressively ditch and condemn Trump and be more dangerous to Trump than any Democrat could ever be. Trump knows this and that’s why he and his family may well do anything to stay in power.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blow me down. My memory badly let me down there. Apologies [MENTION=599]beorhthelm[/MENTION]

I believe Obama had a Democrat House, Mitch McConnell led Republican Senate and obviously a Democrat President.

Basically obstructionist deadlock.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The first vote was cast in Dixieville Notch, New Hampshire just after midnight - as is tradition.

It was a lifelong Republican voting for Biden.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Yeah, it was the Democrats that chose him to run at the RNC...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Isn't it possible for Biden to be in front on tonight and tomorrow's early count and Trump to beg for the last minute mail ballots to be counted even if not likely to be in his favour.
Hoisted with his own orange petard.

Please, please, please.................

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Isn't it possible for Biden to be in front on tonight and tomorrow's early count and Trump to beg for the last minute mail ballots to be counted even if not likely to be in his favour.
Hoisted with his own orange petard.

Please, please, please.................

I’m not sure that’s possible as Dems have bought into mail-in ballots in a big way. In Florida, for example, Dems lead Reps by around 700K on the returned mail ballot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here