Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Trump under fire.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Hate to defend Farage here but I can see his point. A gun and a milkshake are very different but MPs here have been killed before.

He is indeed a c**t. But he's not far wrong. It was a milkshake last time - next time it could very well be something more serious.
I remember when Jo Brand asked “why bother with a milkshake when you could get some battery acid?”. This is probably what he was getting at? ( taken from his X post )

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I understand this. But some people are less responsible for their actions than others and words can be powerful. Politics is as much about words as it is actions.

I’m sorry, but there’s no such thing as “grounds for diminished responsibility because somebody I find charismatic said to do it.”

Does Trump know what he’s doing? Absolutely. Does that excuse those who rioted and committed criminal acts? No. When you throw a punch at a police officer, you know what you’re doing. These weren’t children.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Farage has also got himself on BBC news, so there is no avoiding his skewed take on this.

Why do the media channels give this charlatan so much airtime? He's barely been in the HoC 5 ins and he's already saying how he is shocked at the lack of security and how MPs go from the house across the green to the tube.

He is the sort of character that will draw nutters out of the shadows with his inflammatory statements.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
One of the reasons for the right to bear arms, is for citizens to be able to fight back against an oppressive state, so shooting a presidential candidate that has threatened to end democracy in the US, seems to me to be quite close to being legitimate. If the guy hadn't had his head blown off, it might have made an interesting defence of his actions.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Unfortunately it will become an iconic photo. If I'd taken it the sense of achievement I'd feel would be severely tainted by how it has enabled Trump to portray himself.
There's even something of the iconic Iwa Jima photo about it, the flag, the huddled group, the raised hand...

View attachment 185613
If elected, Trump will probably commission a statue of the moment and have it stuck somewhere in DC. Maybe in place of that Lincoln memorial?

Interestingly, the Iwo Jima photo was actually staged. Marines had raised the flag on Mount Suribachi, but nobody got a photo of it and the flag was rather small. So they were sent back up with a bigger flag and a photographer.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
America is absolutely screwed. Whatever happens in the election the country is going to have a meltdown.

1. Trump wins - rounding up of opponents and then what? I suspect changes to how their democracy works and he will be setting up deportation camps etc

2. Trump loses - i don’t see how this would be allowed to happen by his people. There will be a sodding civil war.

Someone please assure me I am wrong.
Well we can cling to the hope that whilst a lot of people ( including bots ? ) say they are "going to get their gun", when it comes to it very few actually do.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The odious Farage giving an awful interview on Sky about this, managing to move in the same sentence from an assassination attempt on the former president to the throwing of a milkshake and other drinks at him in the recent GE campaign, and highlighting how "our politics" is tainted.

I wonder what characters made our politics so tainted?

No Nigel, the USA is f*cked because they have guns. People only throw things at you in the UK - no one else - and that's because you are a c*nt.

Sounds about right

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There obviously weren't enough guns readily available to innocent bystanders as more guns would have solved the problem.🤡

To prove that guns save lives, everyone who goes to a Trump rally should be allowed to carry a gun of their choosing.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
“God saved me” says Trump

But decided to kill the person behind you.
Trump's latest social media post laden with words like God, good, evil, and put out there just in time to be read by awaking church-going Christian Americans.

It would appear that events have conspired to put Trump on an unstoppable trajectory to victory on Nov 5th although with the prevalence of guns and toxic political rhetoric then an attempt on Biden's life and a full 180 move back to the Democrats is still a possibility.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I’ve not read the whole thread, but the posts on NSC are predictable.

Has everyone who blamed Jan 6th on Trump also blamed Biden for this after saying “it’s time to put Trump in a bullseye”?

Or does consistency not apply to TDS?

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Firstly, I'm all for the right to peaceful protest. And, I agree that there were probably plenty there peacefully but you have to accept that they were there because of the false rhetoric of Trump. He was/is in a very high position of influence and he misused that for his own agenda. It is an unbelievable understatement to say 'It was disappointing at how little Trump did to cool things at Capitol Hill' when you consider that some were seeking out Mike Pence with a view for retribution.

Not just Trump, the Republican Party as a whole and major news networks had supported the message, lending it legitimacy, social media had amplified the message unchecked, the lessons to learn from this should be picked over with as much care as those associated with the French Revolution.

Instead, America is a while away from electing the very same individual back into the role of president. News organisations should not have agendas, they should present the facts, perhaps give time to two or three different takes on the facts from those with opinions, and the voters should make their own minds up. Demagogic news presenters such as Carlson should not exist, and the same poison is creeping into the UK through GB News and serving politicians taking gigs as presenters. The same division is being seeded right here.

This goes beyond what we’ve historically known as politics and into alternative belief networks. Without breaking those self-reinforcing belief systems down, there is no reconciliation and America cannot heal. It should be fine to disagree with each other on politics, beware those who wish to weaponise you on any side, but America’s in for a tough time, and we’re effectively part of their empire, largely without representation.

Trump is part of the problem, but he’s been enabled by a lot of people on all sides of the political spectrum. It’s those who were supposed to be the grownups within America’s press and their two main political parties who need to own this mess. Without them, Trump is just an ex-TV host with a ridiculous wig.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This diagram might help those who weren't sure how he was hit where he was.

The gunman was essentially side-on to the podium.

The rally attendees who were hit were, presumably, in the right-hand seating area and not in sight of the camera that was focused on Trump.

Screenshot 2024-07-14 at 13.03.42.png

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m sorry, but there’s no such thing as “grounds for diminished responsibility because somebody I find charismatic said to do it.”

Does Trump know what he’s doing? Absolutely. Does that excuse those who rioted and committed criminal acts? No. When you throw a punch at a police officer, you know what you’re doing. These weren’t children.
:shrug: I never said any of this. I’m merely saying words can have consequences and words can be powerful. Of course it doesn’t not absolve anyone, but it part explains why things happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here