Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Trump makes the main board but Johnson doesn't.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bozza you said

" My intention was that NO new threads get started there. All threads get started here and they will be moved to TBP if they become toxic and hostile"

Did you make your thoughts public ?

I have no idea and I don't really have the inclination to try and find my posts on the subject right now.

However, looking at the description I typed for the sub-forum...

"Sub-forum for discussions which are either likely to turn toxic or have turned toxic. Typically these threads are politically-focused and involve a small group of people getting angry with each other, whilst absolutely no-one will attempt to see the other side, nor change their perspective."

...that certainly gives the impression that new threads could be started there, although that wasn't my intention when I set it up.

I've just searched back through the mods WhatsApp group as I thought it had been discussed there, and it had. On 25th June I wrote pretty much what I wrote here:

"My intention was to not allow new threads to be created in the bear pit, but I forgot to change the setting, and I see a few people have started threads there now.

We'd then move any threads there that warranted it."​

You see in principle, I have absolutely no issue with a thread that was "The Boris Johnson's government is terrible thread" that was only for people to criticise the current government. However, that would soon give rise to "The official Boris Johnson government appreciation thread" and the "Labour Party are a woeful opposition" thread. Rinse and repeat for almost any politician, party or polarising topic. Before we know it, we then have a whole series of threads which are dedicated to just one side of any contentious debate.

Maybe there could be a single "UK Politics Discussion" thread on the main board, but I fear that will soon turn horrible. Willing to try though...

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I have no idea and I don't really have the inclination to try and find my posts on the subject right now.

However, looking at the description I typed for the sub-forum...

"Sub-forum for discussions which are either likely to turn toxic or have turned toxic. Typically these threads are politically-focused and involve a small group of people getting angry with each other, whilst absolutely no-one will attempt to see the other side, nor change their perspective."

...that certainly gives the impression that new threads could be started there, although that wasn't my intention when I set it up.

I've just searched back through the mods WhatsApp group as I thought it had been discussed there, and it had. On 25th June I wrote pretty much what I wrote here:

"My intention was to not allow new threads to be created in the bear pit, but I forgot to change the setting, and I see a few people have started threads there now.

We'd then move any threads there that warranted it."​

You see in principle, I have absolutely no issue with a thread that was "The Boris Johnson's government is terrible thread" that was only for people to criticise the current government. However, that would soon give rise to "The official Boris Johnson government appreciation thread" and the "Labour Party are a woeful opposition" thread. Rinse and repeat for almost any politician, party or polarising topic. Before we know it, we then have a whole series of threads which are dedicated to just one side of any contentious debate.

Maybe there could be a single "UK Politics Discussion" thread on the main board, but I fear that will soon turn horrible. Willing to try though...

My prediction is that such a thread will soon become dominated by political activists from both sides (self appointed and not). They will each focus on disseminating fake news, only taking time out to sling insults at their adversaries. There will be much linking with the Daily Mail and the Guardian comment sections. Anybody trying to post their own point of view will be attacked. The internet and the fall out from the Referendum have done this to politics. Good luck !

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
My prediction is that such a thread will soon become dominated by political activists from both sides (self appointed and not). They will each focus on disseminating fake news, only taking time out to sling insults at their adversaries. There will be much linking with the Daily Mail and the Guardian comment sections. Anybody trying to post their own point of view will be attacked. The internet and the fall out from the Referendum have done this to politics. Good luck !
A perfect example of a thread tailor made for The Bear Pit.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
this is the problem with multiple sub-forums, before you know it mods have to police which thread are in which forum. better to let it be, if a thread gets overly tetchy stick it in the bearpit, though "other stuff" should suffice. Covid forum made sense to focus alot of similar topic everyone had concern and view on.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I would like to think it would be possible to have a 'UK Politics Discussion thread' as there are currently a lot of significant things going on which effect people, but fear you are right. The only way I could see it working would be if there were an awful lot of thread bans for posters who simply insult people with views different to their own and don't offer anything to the discussion.

And you have to ask whether the amount of time, patience and hassle that would take the Mods would be worthwhile. Although I like the idea of the thread, I suspect that the answer is probably no. I don't know whether it's a case of rose-tinted spectacles, but I don't ever remember NSC being this bad in the past. Maybe it is the Internet and fall out from the referendum, as you said, that have got us here. Sadly I can't now see a way back :down:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Thank you Bozza for your response and clarification that starting any thread on any subject the main board is perfectly acceptable and that it will only be moved if posters overstep the rules.

Do the moderators warn posters that their post is worded and may cause offence and to prevent the thread becoming toxic they could amend the wording or the Mods can delete offensive posts instead of moving the whole thread to the bear pit?

I would like to think it would be possible to have a 'UK Politics Discussion thread' as there are currently a lot of significant things going on which effect people, but fear you are right. The only way I could see it working would be if there were an awful lot of thread bans for posters who simply insult people with views different to their own and don't offer anything to the discussion.

And you have to ask whether the amount of time, patience and hassle that would take the Mods would be worthwhile. Although I like the idea of the thread, I suspect that the answer is probably no. I don't know whether it's a case of rose-tinted spectacles, but I don't ever remember NSC being this bad in the past. Maybe it is the Internet and fall out from the referendum, as you said, that have got us here. Sadly I can't now see a way back :down:

This is a football forum not a politics forum - why not go elsewhere to discuss politics? Just a thought ...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
This is a football forum not a politics forum - why not go elsewhere to discuss politics? Just a thought ...

I've never known NSC (going back 20 years) to ever only discuss football. I would suggest it's rare for football to make up 50% of threads on the first page. It'd be pretty boring if it did :shrug:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Thank you Bozza for your response and clarification that starting any thread on any subject the main board is perfectly acceptable and that it will only be moved if posters overstep the rules.

Do the moderators warn posters that their post is worded and may cause offence and to prevent the thread becoming toxic they could amend the wording or the Mods can delete offensive posts instead of moving the whole thread to the bear pit?
They have sometimes done this, I believe, by banning a poster from a particular thread if they appear to be trying to turn it toxic. That way, a reasonable harmless thread is saved from the bear pit.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I do find it interesting how a thread on how Donald Trump, president of the USA has been handling the major issues in the USA (China, Russia, the US Economy, Covid, Corruption, etc) has been on the Main Board for over 3 years.

However, if I was to start a thread on how Boris Johnson, prime minister of the UK has been handling the major issues in the UK (Covid, Brexit, the economy, corruption etc) it would immediately be moved to the Bear Pit or the Covid sub forum.

Even though the second thread effects the vast majority of NSC posters far more than the first, yet we shouldn't talk about it on the main board.

Just saying like :shrug:

I've been removed from the Trump thread for over 2 1/2 years of the three it has been up.

Which means that I have also been silenced on all major global issues too because of a extreme left agenda.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I've been removed from the Trump thread for over 2 1/2 years of the three it has been up.

Which means that I have also been silenced on all major global issues too because of a extreme left agenda.

This illustrates the bias at the BBC and other media outlets. All they bang on about is the silencing of protestors in places like Hong Kong. Meanwhile your suffering goes under the radar.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I do find it interesting how a thread on how Donald Trump, president of the USA has been handling the major issues in the USA (China, Russia, the US Economy, Covid, Corruption, etc) has been on the Main Board for over 3 years.

However, if I was to start a thread on how Boris Johnson, prime minister of the UK has been handling the major issues in the UK (Covid, Brexit, the economy, corruption etc) it would immediately be moved to the Bear Pit or the Covid sub forum.

Even though the second thread effects the vast majority of NSC posters far more than the first, yet we shouldn't talk about it on the main board.

Not to mention that a lot of the stuff in there isn't even about Trump. They take hold of loads of bizarre and controversial topics as they are in some 6 degrees of separation tied to the White House and spend their time spreading bizarre nonsense. I've never once in that thread been pro Trump, just pointed out lies and dishonest arguments when I see them and got labeled a Nazi in that thread. The fact it was allowed to stay on this board and coverage of a UK terrorist attack a few weeks ago was immediately moved speaks volumes.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The scams change constantly but the perpetrators tend to stay the same

View attachment 126095

Stay Alert, Don't be naive, Think before you vote :thumbsup:

I bet you feel embarrassed to admit you were conned by that 350m per week scam.

170 days till self imposed trade sanctions, tick tock, tick tock...

Some people definitely aren't getting enough attention!

These posts appearing on a thread about e-mail phishing FFS :facepalm:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
They have sometimes done this, I believe, by banning a poster from a particular thread if they appear to be trying to turn it toxic. That way, a reasonable harmless thread is saved from the bear pit.

So why the need for the bear pit?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Perhaps it doesn't work when both sides are going at it in numbers? I don't know. I just know that I think the Bear Pit is a great idea.

While I am of the opposite view therefore this thread is destined for the bear pit :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here