Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Trossard - How long

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It's tough isn't it?

We spend out time marvelling at the Albion's greatest ever squad then Trossard comes along and shows us just how much further the team has to go.

He'll get the customary new contract in the summer, which will only be the club's way of protecting themselves.

I'd hate to see him handcuffed to the Albion as that can only end in bitter acrimony, but I guess nowadays clubs really aren't so stupid as to put all their eggs in one basket - are they?

Agree a new 4 year contract in the summer is likely. From our point of view it’s to protect our asset for another year, from his point of view it will make him our highest wage earner.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
And I think you’re right to call out the NSC populace on this.

What evidence is there that we sell our best players?

Even if Real Madrid come in for him, we can still tell them to bugger off and I believe that we would. The logic being, that whatever they offer next summer will probably double the summer after. Even then, I don’t think making money from selling players is Tony’s plan. He won’t have failed to notice Southampton.

I get the point that rejecting offers from massive clubs would probably require a bit of player management, but ultimately Leandro knows he signed a 4 year deal and short of going on strike doesn’t have a great bargaining position. We can probably stay up without him and he’s knows this.

I really don't think this is an issue - look at how long Haha was "happy" to stay at Palace.
Being seen as a top Premier league player is still very worthwhile for most players. The idea that you have to be playing at a top 4 club to be recognised and valued is really no longer the case.

All the time we are seen as a club on an upward trajectory, our players will be happy to stay with us. IMO.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I think a few of our fans are tinged with blue and white vision, realistically if after one season of current performances a top 4 team or big European team came in with a £50M offer let’s say, it would be very, very difficult for us to keep him, unfortunately you must be honest with yourself, do you think Trossard sees us as his trip to the top or as a stepping stone on his trip to the top? Come next summer he’ll be 25 and just coming into his prime.

All hypothetical, and not worth worrying about at this point but it’s silly to kid ourselves into thinking we hold the cards because generally if a player wants to leave he will leave, and I wouldn’t begrudge a player of his quality to want to go as far as possible.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
If he keeps his form I could see him going to a club like Everton / west Ham for 30 mil next summer. If he has 2 wonderful seasons with us then Arsenal / Spurs for whatever the silly price is at the time.

Everton ?
West Ham ?

Wtf

I hope someone tells you soon :
WE ARE NOT SHIT ANYMORE!!!!!!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I really don't think this is an issue - look at how long Haha was "happy" to stay at Palace.
Being seen as a top Premier league player is still very worthwhile for most players. The idea that you have to be playing at a top 4 club to be recognised and valued is really no longer the case.

All the time we are seen as a club on an upward trajectory, our players will be happy to stay with us. IMO.

The issue is wages though. The need for some player management will come in, not so much because he has the chance to sign for Liverpool, or Juve or some other big name, the issue is they will be offering £150k per week which is over twice what we’ll be offering. Palace have tried to placate Zaha by giving him this sort of money. But we won’t do that.

I think the most likely outcome is that he’ll sign an improved contract in the summer with an informal understanding, which we will stick to, along the lines of “stay here and do well for the 2020/21 season and we won’t stand in your way when someone comes knocking the following summer”

Also remember, he’ll have his eyes on that world cup in 2022

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
We should be looking to sniff out more Trossards, not flog the ones we've already got. How else do you even start to put pressure on The Top Six? And lest we forget, fookin' LEICESTER won the PL just a year or two back. And the likes of Burnley and Wolves get to play in Europe. Are we really that different from any of those clubs? Of course we're not. We spent enough years playing against them relatively recently in the lower leagues. Sake! :rolleyes:

Spot on. Yet there are many on here that think it is impossible, ever, that we can qualify for Europe or finish top 6 and that we should be grateful for staying in the league.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The issue is wages though. The need for some player management will come in, not so much because he has the chance to sign for Liverpool, or Juve or some other big name, the issue is they will be offering £150k per week which is over twice what we’ll be offering. Palace have tried to placate Zaha by giving him this sort of money. But we won’t do that.

I think the most likely outcome is that he’ll sign an improved contract in the summer with an informal understanding, which we will stick to, along the lines of “stay here and do well for the 2020/21 season and we won’t stand in your way when someone comes knocking the following summer”

Agree with that. The boy's 24 years old. Timescales fit nicely with the 2022 world cup and the generally accepted peak age of about 28 for players. He's probably got more to gain until then by creating a buzz playing for the Albion than being just another bit-part player at a higher profile club.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I love it when a new signing has a great start which results in our fans claiming he's pretty much already left. Then the wise advice to appreciate him while we can as we won't have long. Then the guess work of who he's joining followed by the transfer fee we should be asking for.

He's only started one game (I think), cost us around £18m, we're 8th in the Prem after 11 games and yet it's already time to get prepared for Trossard's departure. You can't beat the positive, optimistic attitude of some of our fans when we start experiencing the dream come true.

When Bloom inevitably gets bored of running Brighton, falls out of love with football and decides to quit, who's going to be the best man to takeover?

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
I love it when a new signing has a great start which results in our fans claiming he's pretty much already left. Then the wise advice to appreciate him while we can as we won't have long. Then the guess work of who he's joining followed by the transfer fee we should be asking for.

He's only started one game (I think), cost us around £18m, we're 8th in the Prem after 11 games and yet it's already time to get prepared for Trossard's departure. You can't beat the positive, optimistic attitude of some of our fans when we start experiencing the dream come true.

When Bloom inevitably gets bored of running Brighton, falls out of love with football and decides to quit, who's going to be the best man to takeover?

He won't get bored.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
Don't ask the question HOW LONG after only a few appearances.

As has been stated, we are not a selling club, you've only got to look down the road at Staines to see where that could end up.

Enjoy the moment, and don't believe that every player we have that shines for however long is on the way out at any moment.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

When you're talking about multi-million pound deals, I don't think "informal understandings" will come into it. I would expect there to be a specific release clause built into his contract of x amount. If a club knocks on our door and is prepared to meet that valuation, then Trossard would be free to speak to them.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
NSC at it’s absolute stupid finest (worst).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Quite clearly Trossard is worth £120m. ManUre will sign him for that sum next summer, Ed Woodward awarding Trossard a 6 year contract worth £225k a week. Whereupon their second manager post-Solskjaer, will play him unhappily as a fullback.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here