£7-9k paydrop? Naaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Springal said:
£7-9k paydrop? Naaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

But if you have to pick up your train ticket and it's c£3k a year in cash, doesn't that equal about £6k in gross income?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Bozza said:
But if you have to pick up your train ticket and it's c£3k a year in cash, doesn't that equal about £6k in gross income?

yer it's not worth it for an extra 6k (net) a year.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Tricky Dicky said:
That does infer that the time spent travelling is "wasted time" and not useful. If it wasn't for the train I'd probably never read a newspaper, a book, listen to a lot of the music I listen to, or talk to many of the people that I talk to. Sure, if I was at home I'd be doing other stuff but I don't see it necessarily as wasted time, but that's just my view.

Fair point, I read a lot of books and got through a lot of music in my 5 year spell, but in the end I got bored of always being tired and not seeing the kids as much as I wanted.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Bozza said:

I do wonder how much time those who commute get to spend with their children, particularly young kids who may well be in bed before they get home.

That bit's hard: I leave home about 5.30 in the morning so I can leave work at 4.30 to get home in time to play with the kids and put them to bed. It's worth the early start to do that.

And to those who say things like "I can't afford to take a job locally" and the like, what you're really saying is you're still prepared to make the significant time sacrifice involved in commuting in order to maintain other aspects of your life - the house, the car, the holidays etc etc. You could change those too if you really wanted to. You choose not to, for the time being at least.

Sorry Bozza but that's just bollocks. I commute because I have to: we certainly don't have a luxury house, we had no holiday last year and run no car, we don't smoke and we eat out about twice a year: my salary just about covers the basics.

Like I said earlier, I would like to work nearer home but it's just feasible. I saw a job advertised locally that would suit my experience and it was 30k squid less than my current job; my salary wouldn't have covered my mortgage. Some people do have the choice between commuting and working locally, but lots of us don't.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Gwylan said:

Sorry Bozza but that's just bollocks. I commute because I have to: we certainly don't have a luxury house, we had no holiday last year and run no car, we don't smoke and we eat out about twice a year: my salary just about covers the basics.

Like I said earlier, I would like to work nearer home but it's just feasible. I saw a job advertised locally that would suit my experience and it was 30k squid less than my current job; my salary wouldn't have covered my mortgage. Some people do have the choice between commuting and working locally, but lots of us don't.

Obviously I don't know your profressional field or specifics but £30k sounds like one hell of a lot of 'London weighting', does it not?

Maybe you're just unlucky in your chosen field - I can't believe such a difference is typical although a lot of it comes down to what the £30k difference represents - £50k to £20k - big difference, obviously. £70k to £40k - not so significant etc etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here