Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

travelling from south coast to canary wharf every day

terrymendez

Nov 22, 2006
Dials
I Commuted to London Bridge for 3 years, then moved to Clapham for another 3. I Left the city 12 months ago and now work for a small firm in the centre of Brighton.

The commute itself was fine, comfortable and quite relaxing, it certainly wont kill you, however the waste of time travelling, and the fact I now have a life midweek is sooooooooooooo worth the salary drop!!!

If you earn over say 100k it may be worth thinking about doing, otherwise dont bother...... you only have one go at life and to be stuck on a train for three hours a day ain't half a waste of it!!!

if you love where you live - then work close by....... :smokin:

Another downside to commuting is the drab people getting on at HH. Cheer up HH people!! it's your choice to get on the train everymorning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!............

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I went on a three day training course to Stratford. The Jubilee line was great after Canary Wharf because it meant I could get a seat and some air.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I think you get used to it really - I hated it when I first started but now 3 and a bit years on it's a pain but nothing more - as long as I can get a seat, get the iPod on and get a book out I'm OK
Mind you the cost is astronomical and I only do from Gatwick to London Bridge so God knows how much your season ticket costs.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Used to commute on the Brighton to Bognor train to Barnham, it was hell, not like the London line with a couple of stops. This stopped at every station on way, like catching a bus.
Kept falling asleep and missing stop, lasted 2 months, got the sack for arriving late too many times:shrug:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
terrymendez said:
I

The commute itself was fine, comfortable and quite relaxing, it certainly wont kill you, however the waste of time travelling, and the fact I now have a life midweek is sooooooooooooo worth the salary drop!!!

If you earn over say 100k it may be worth thinking about doing, otherwise dont bother...... you only have one go at life and to be stuck on a train for three hours a day ain't half a waste of it!!!

That's a fine theory but unfortunately the reality is that most commuters do it because they have to, not because of choice.

I would dearly love to work locally and would take a drop in salary. I have been looking for a job but the salaries on offer wouldn't even cover my mortgage, let alone other living costs.

Nor can I move to London as the cost of a family home is well out of my reach. I could afford to move to Croydon but, frankly, if that was the option I might as well be dead.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Sounds like a bloody nightmare.

I do Fulham broadway to c.wharf everyday and that's bad enough.

....especially this morning as I can see snow out the window:angry:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I did it for a while, and hated it - although I did have good company with Tricky Dicky - he's done the trip for over 10 years I think!!

Worst thing is we used to go out for a drink on Weds evening, and I'd have to get up at the crack of sparrows fart with a hangover to catch a train....

Left at 7am and got home at 7pm, glad the money was brilliant as I wasn't doing it for any other reason....

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
My brother does Burgess Hill to Canaray Wharf everday, and loves it.
Hes done it for 5 years now and he just looks at it as another hour and a halfs kip on the train.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Marshy said:
..he just looks at it as another hour and a halfs kip on the train.

No chance. You just get settled down and a ticket inspector comes along...and if you get your head down again, there's a good chance that a second inspector comes along to wake you up again.

:angry: :angry:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
i'll have to open up salary renegotiations then!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
tedebear said:
I did it for a while, and hated it - although I did have good company with Tricky Dicky - he's done the trip for over 10 years I think!!

Worst thing is we used to go out for a drink on Weds evening, and I'd have to get up at the crack of sparrows fart with a hangover to catch a train....

Left at 7am and got home at 7pm, glad the money was brilliant as I wasn't doing it for any other reason....

Yup, 18 years commuting Shoreham to London for me, with this last one to The Wharf. I find it no problem at all - it's just a state of mind.

You can either use the time to read or whatever, and you get to run into people like DtG every day.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Tricky Dicky said:
You can either use the time to read or whatever, and you get to run into people like DtG every day.

Read the back of your eyelids? ;) :lol:

Ah yes DtG and his crew are also a mighty fine accompanyment to the the trip!

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I worked near Edgware Road for a while. That was an absolute SLAG of a commute.

I survived.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
7 years Portslade to London Bridge

7:16 am - 08:30 at LB

17:32 - 18:38 at Portslade

I dont mind commuting, although tyhe 17:32 crew is shrinking rapidly. At its heyday there were about 10 odd of us, now their are four or five, with people being made redundant, moving etc.

I have one of those portable DVD's and that certainly helps the time go by.

When I get to London, the bus to my office at City Road N1 takes 35-40 minutes....that is a pain. No point trying to get the tube at that time of day either.

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
Do any of the commuters on here work in the area of finance?

I'm looking for a part time accounting/bookkeeping job in the capital, 2/3 days a week. I'm self employed but am about to lose a 2 day a week contract shortly, so my thinking is to maybe replace it with a couple of days of employment in the big smoke to earn some proper money to cover my rent.

If so, can anyone recommend the best place to look for jobs in the capital in accounting? Newspapers/Agencies etc

Cheers for help

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Adam Virgo's Shirt said:
Do any of the commuters on here work in the area of finance?

I'm looking for a part time accounting/bookkeeping job in the capital, 2/3 days a week. I'm self employed but am about to lose a 2 day a week contract shortly, so my thinking is to maybe replace it with a couple of days of employment in the big smoke to earn some proper money to cover my rent.

If so, can anyone recommend the best place to look for jobs in the capital in accounting? Newspapers/Agencies etc

Cheers for help

gaapweb.com is the starting place i'd say

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
afters said:
the first 20 years are the toughest, it gets easier after that:)

Thanks for that Afters. I've never really minded it - maybe the first year, but that's too long ago to remember. As long as the trains and tubes are working reasonably, it's not a problem. The Southern service is much better now than it used to be and the Jubilee is usually v.good.

The couple of years travelling with Tedebear were v.enjoyable, but I know people on most trains I catch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here