Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travellers

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Just come back from walking the dog at Devils Dyke and noticed that the road by the golf club has been invaded by travellers.

Surely the old bill should be moving them on ?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Surely the fact that they are called travellers gives a clue to their intentions, they will be moving on of their own accord eventually, no need to divert the upholders of the law from their normal duties of chasing and banging up criminals.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Surely the fact that they are called travellers gives a clue to their intentions, they will be moving on of their own accord eventually, no need to divert the upholders of the law from their normal duties of chasing and banging up criminals.

But they should not be there anyway, thats why there are barriers in place to stop them parking up.

Also them being there ruins the enjoyment for others who wish to use the area.

And what about all the shit they leave behind ?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It's down to the council, nothing the police can do.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by

You've obviously never lived or worked very nearby a site that travellers have taken over

You've obviously never lived or worked very nearby a site that travellers have taken over
He ain't, and if they do he should go round and ask them not to shit in bin liners and leave them behind for others to clean up and could they not let there dogs run wild if he did they would twat him.
Had to put up with the smelly pikeys more than once on the old mans land, they are not gypsies cos they do not do that, my old man has always aloud real gypsies on his land.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
hahaha what a surprise, the charmingly rogueish and outrageously put upon itinerent folk, whose wonderfully colourful way of life is harassed by nimbys and Daily Mail readers, being defended on here.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Quite fancy a Travellers life style myself but I would clean up when the time came to move on.

Quite. The street where I live is semi-permanent home to the world's supply of ex-ambulances, ex-Welsh-single-decker-buses, scabby lorries over-painted with flowers and doves and whatnot. Bless. Our street is obviously on some kind of word-of-mouth travellers Guide To Hassle-Free Parking-Up. They arrive in the middle of the night, they leave in the middle of the night. Never see them come or go. On one memorable occasion last Summer, a thirty ton army truck pulled up bang outside our house and stayed for a couple of months. The owner was considerate enough to stick a note through our door pointing out his truck was taxed, insured and MOT'ed, and that'd he'd be moving on shortly. Hard to fault the guy really. as indeed any of the travellers in our street. They never leave a bit of rubbish, indeed it's in their best interests to leave no trace at all, lest it ruin their chances of a repeat stay. Never given me, nor I suspect anybody in the entire street, a single moment's grief. Hasn't stopped the wanker residents getting up a petition tho. Doubtless on account of some precieved threat to their precious property prices. So now we're faced with Residents Parking, and all the bureaucracit crap that comes with it. If there's any such thing as karma, the petition getter-uppers will end up with a Pay'n'Display machine right outside their front door, evil snobby shits that they are.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Zef had some parked up in their carpark when he got to work one morning, they'd pulled the mail back out of the mail box and scattered it around the car park, some of it had been used as toilet paper, they'd set fire to some of the plants around the borders, and had generally made what can only be discribed as a god almighty unhygenic mess. They were moved on but Zef's company had to get a cleaning company in to remove the detritis, frankly it was appalling.

I wouldn't tar them all with the same brush, but they do bring a lot of it on themselves.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west

You are quite right there, but my last next door neighbours were absolutely vile, their garden stank of dog-shit and they used to throw food into my garden, in addition to numerous noise related issues...I don't imagine living in close proximity to some travellers could be much worse...and as tede points out, they shouldn't all get tarred with the same brush, but at times some could do more to make themselves more acceptable to the community they pitch up in.

Apr 17, 2009
Rural East Sussex
Quite. The street where I live is semi-permanent home to the world's supply of ex-ambulances, ex-Welsh-single-decker-buses, scabby lorries over-painted with flowers and doves and whatnot. Bless.

Always quite fancied an old ambulance of old army truck myself. I would prefer to be out in the country, park up in some lay by,camp site or farmers field, with permission of course, sharpen gardening equiptment, do a spot of gardening, house painting all in exchange for a bath/shower and good will from the farmers wife or daughter

About 400 yards from Bracknell Towers, there's a guy living in a large campervan, parked up in a layby, who has been there for about 2 months. Keeps himself to himself. No trouble. Everytime I walk past him (usually with the dog) he scurries into the van to avoid the human (or canine) contact that might be on offer.

He has a trailer on the back of the campervan that seems to contain everything that a decent shed in the garden might be fitted out with.

He's clean, leaves no litter and causes no nuisance. As far as I'm concerned, he can live there as long as he wants. My only concern is that he might be collecting some of his water from the ditch/stream into which I pump sewage. But I guess he'd have gone down with typhoid weeks ago if that was the case.

Alonso Moseley

Jun 16, 2008
I currently sleep in my campervan, mostly out of choice even though I have a place in central Brighton where I work. I have two park ups on farms nearby, use a couple of camp sites, and occasionally use the road THPP mentions. It's great waking in the country, watching the wildlife and generally getting away from it all, within the south downs area. As long as you clean as you go and respect your surroundings it is a cheap and enjoyable existence.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Surely the fact that they are called travellers gives a clue to their intentions, they will be moving on of their own accord eventually

Yes, once they've made the bit of land they're on a complete shithole, done a few dodgy tarmac jobs and burgled the local population they will decide they had enough and go and ruin another bit of the country. Brilliant.

When I worked for ESCC, in the old offices of the Highways & Transportation Department (where Tesco's garage now is, in Lewes), there was an incursion of travellers into our car park, while the offices were closed over the weekend.

On Monday morning, the fierce woman who was office manager went straight into action - "Get out of our car par immediately, or I'll call the police". "No madam, it doesn't work like that", she was told. "What you have to do is go to court and obtain a court order to get rid of us. When you've done that, we have 28 days to comply. Only then can you get us physically evicted".

At the time, this was perfectly accurate information, and it was confirmed by the council's solicitor.

Due process was initiated ... and about five weeks later, they left peacefully. The irony was that the travellers were earning their money as subcontractors, doing tarmacing work that was being paid for by the very organisation whose land they were occupying. At the end of each working day, they did a bit of pothole filling in the car park - work that the council had always said was such low priority that it would never be done, since there wasn't the budget to spend on luxuries like that.

Again ... for the time that they were there, they were good neighbours. Although the kids and dogs were a bit scary.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It must be a coincidence but since a bunch of travellers moved onto some land locally the crime rate is up 400%. Of course I've sure it's just one of those things. Mind you, for some reason, their neighbours can't sell their houses, must be the current financial climate I'm sure.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
exactly what taxes were they paying? council tax? income tax? leaving human shit and mess tax? doubt it very much

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
I currently sleep in my campervan, mostly out of choice even though I have a place in central Brighton where I work. I have two park ups on farms nearby, use a couple of camp sites, and occasionally use the road THPP mentions. It's great waking in the country, watching the wildlife and generally getting away from it all, within the south downs area. As long as you clean as you go and respect your surroundings it is a cheap and enjoyable existence.

Pikey

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here