Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travellers, what do we do with them ?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Simster said:
I dislike them as much as everyone else - taxes, mess etc - but I think we have to realise that the number of sites on which to put them seems to diminish year on year. We're now at the point where they complain there is nowhere to go.

...one issue that tends to be forgotten, is one of the reasons the travelling community do not like to stay on "sites" permanently is that they can be charged community charges if they do..

I think it is an issue that will not go away.

In Leicester we had a camp set up in our company car park overnight one summer and we had a hell of a job moving them on......The main concern was the damage caused and the fact that our place had attempted and actual break ins 7 times when they were there.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
bhaexpress said:
I thought that a lot of travellers were supposed to stand for the environment, obviously not.
I think there's a big difference between the gypsies who choose to live like that, and the Irish pikies who travel round nicking stuff, threatening people and making a mess.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Re: Re: Travellers, what do we do with them ?

Brovian said:
I think the problem is people use 'Travellers' as a type of generic label like 'Gays' or 'Muslims'. There are various sub-divisions, 'New Age' travellers by and large DO care about the environment, the ones that tend to come to Brighton nowadays are for want of a better label 'white trash'.

However they exist and they need to be catered for, if they weren't travelling around they'd need council housing so in a lot of ways providing more permanent sites is a cheaper option. What do people want to see? Concentration camps and gas chambers?

Well said. They've been treated shamefully by councils, many of whom have refused to provide them with land - despite the legal obligation to do so. As you rightly say, councils would have to house them if they didn't travel ... and that would cost a lot more.

It also makes me laugh when the old codgers write in to the Argus complaining about their 'freeloading' and how we're paying for their lifestyle. If it's so great, why don't they (and many other people) join them? The answer is, of course, that it's a pretty crap way of life, made worse by the way that they're demonised by all and sundry.

Still thik that a plot at the back of Hove bed and breakfast makes the most sense though

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
I cannot condone the mess they make or the fact that they do not pay for anything, but there is a thread on here about the nazis persecuting jews in WW2 and here some people are saying shoot the travellers.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Re: Re: Re: Travellers, what do we do with them ?

Gwylan said:
Well said. They've been treated shamefully by councils, many of whom have refused to provide them with land - despite the legal obligation to do so. As you rightly say, councils would have to house them if they didn't travel ... and that would cost a lot more.

It also makes me laugh when the old codgers write in to the Argus complaining about their 'freeloading' and how we're paying for their lifestyle. If it's so great, why don't they (and many other people) join them? The answer is, of course, that it's a pretty crap way of life, made worse by the way that they're demonised by all and sundry.
A couple of points, the ones I've met had irish accents which suggests that they weren't born here. I assumed that they came over in the summer to do some tarmaccing and rob as much stuff as the can before they went home in the winter. I might add that they were driving a brand new BMW.
Also, like you say, they choose to live that lifestyle. If it's crap then don't live like it. They are demonised for a reason, because wherever they set up camp they leave like a rubbish dump and crime tends to rise sharply when they are around. If they left their 'camps' like they found them and didn't try to nick everything then I'm sure people wouldn't give a toss about them

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Easy way to get them to move on.

The moment they arrive get the local farmer to arrive at the camp with his muck spreader and spread cow shit all over them and their caravans. Might make them decide to move on!!

The same thing would work well for illegal raves!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There's a field over in Falmer that's not going to be used for anything for at least two years. Maybe Brighton & Hove Council could make it available to the travellers until then. Problem solved.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks

Brovian said:
I think the problem is people use 'Travellers' as a type of generic label like 'Gays' or 'Muslims'. There are various sub-divisions, 'New Age' travellers by and large DO care about the environment, the ones that tend to come to Brighton nowadays are for want of a better label 'white trash'.

Spot on.

I think there should be someone 'on the gate' of travellers camps (if we have to have them). If they turn up in one of them funny shaped horse drawn carriages they can stay for a couple of days. If they show up in a transit van with a caravan bigger than most peoples houses with gold window frames they should f*** off.

D

Deleted User X18H

Kinky Gerbils said:
Grt them to trash FALMER?
And to whose benefit would that be you thick twat that plays completly into DeVeechi and Bakers hands.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
hove born&bred said:
And to whose benefit would that be you thick twat that plays completly into DeVeechi and Bakers hands.

Of course it would because all travellers are avid Albion fans who walk around in replica tops :smokin:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Brovian said:
What do people want to see? Concentration camps and gas chambers?

That would be a good start, yes.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Re: Re: Re: Travellers, what do we do with them ?

Commander said:
That would be a good start, yes.
Hmm, someone else who would probably benefit from an educational visit to Auschwitz-Birkenau.

The juxtaposition of these two threads is, frankly, almost funny.

Slowhand

Aug 24, 2005
Near Lewes
There were a huge group of them moved out of Stanmer at the end and beginning of July.

Stanmer seems a regular stopping place for them, along with the cricket and football grounds at the bottom of the A23.

They are unpopular because they are seen as freeloaders with no respect for the environment they're in or any one other than themselves.

Some years ago a group took a sick child into the local hospital where I lived and while in there stole all the ready meals that were stored in a freezer for parents staying with their children. All the other parents put money in an honesty box to pay for the food which was provided so that they didn't need to be away from their children. They also stole game boys and video recorders. What do they expect people to feel about them?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Take them on a boat trip to the middle of the English Channel, then dump them in it.....survival of the fittest innit!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Re: Re: Re: Re: Travellers, what do we do with them ?

Man of Harveys said:
Hmm, someone else who would probably benefit from an educational visit to Auschwitz-Birkenau.

The juxtaposition of these two threads is, frankly, almost funny.

You may have noticed I was not in a very good mood when I got to work this morning!

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
They are always moving into waterhall.

A few weeks ago i was on my way home from football when about 100-200 caravans turned up and a little kid (about 7/8) jumped out of the front transit van and cut the padlock on the gate and then they all just drove in to the field and made camp for a couple of weeks!

I did see a police car there a week or two later but it was only 1 police car with loads of travellers!

They should all be arrested for tresspassing!

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle

Timbo said:
Yeah in a misty eyed Levellers sort of way!

These are absolute scummers who do what they like and the Police are too scared to do anything. It really wouldn't take anything for the Government to sort these people out. No more 'official' traveller sites and powers for the Police for instant evictions. Move the smelly fuckers ten times a day and then see how long they want to live in a caravan.

We have an 'official' site near us in Robertsbridge. The pikies have built houses in there. A couple of years ago the council spent thousands installing toilet blocks. The fuckers don't even pay council tax so why are the council providing them with anything?

Most of the ones from Robertsbridge are absolute twats. Always shoplifting and causing trouble in Battle. Also most of them are apparently armed which doesn't help things

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
It wouldnt supprise me if they all carried knives etc...

I remember when i was at school we had a group of travellers on benfield golf course at the back of our school and one day they came into the field with knives and tried to start fights with everyone!

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
THere's some camped at the top of Coldean Lane at the moment. If you come of the main road at the Asda turn off and head towards Coldean you can see them in the field at the top of the hill.

The field seems to have the corn still in it, and it seemed a bit dangerous to make camp there. What if the corn got struck by lightning and started to burn????

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here