Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travellers, what do we do with them ?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
From the Argus -

Travellers trash nature reserve

A nature reserve was left looking like a "rubbish dump" after a group of 100 travellers and their animals were evicted from the site.

Human excrement, nappies, underwear and fly-tipped rubbish were discarded at Wild Park in Moulsecoomb, Brighton.

Maria Krassowska walks her dogs there every day.
continued...

She said: "The park was left absolutely devastated and dirty.

"There was rubbish everywhere in torn supermarket bags left loose on the grass.

"There was broken glass, buggies, household rubbish, newspapers, wrappings, broken toys, tennis rackets, plastic water containers, shoes, clothes, nappies, a motorcycle and washing lines. There was also a large amount of human excrement and horse manure left. It was disgusting."

Michelle Funnel, who runs the Wild Park caf, said she had to clear human excrement from the front of her business while the travellers were at the site.

She said: "Some of the rubbish has been cleared already but it was a filthy mess when they first left.

"There is still a lot of the fly-tipped stuff up on the banks of the park, which looks a real mess and will take some time to clear."

One resident, who claimed he was threatened by the travellers at Wild Park, said he never wanted to see another gipsy set foot in the city again.

He said: "I've had it with them all. The mess in the park was unbelievable and it is us, the taxpayers of this city, who will have to pay for it to be cleared up. The travellers left the park looking like a rubbish dump."

Brighton and Hove City Council has spent £10,000 in the past financial year securing eviction orders.

More than 60 caravans arrived at Wild Park on August 6. The travellers were evicted on Sunday.

While they were at the site the Airenjuku Karate Club, which is based at the park, was broken into and cars parked nearby had their windows smashed.

Children's football matches were cancelled after travellers drove across the pitch in cars and on motorbikes.

Last week The Argus revealed how a children's activity day for more than 120 people had to be cancelled because of the camp.

The 818 Club, run by Brighton charity Adventure Unlimited, was to host celebrations for its tenth anniversary but was forced to postpone the event due to fears for visitors' safety.

Paths running through the park have been completely blocked by fly-tipped rubbish made up of drainpipes, branches and mounds of dirt.

The grass is scorched where fires have been lit.

City councillor Dawn Barnett said the number of travellers visiting the city was unsustainable and called for urgent action to prevent the area becoming overrun.

She said: "The perception among travellers at the moment is that Brighton and Hove is a soft touch and they go away and tell their friends they will be more than welcome down here.

"It is costing hundreds of thousands of pounds each year to deal with these people and enough is enough.

"We've made it so easy for them to stay. We might as well just put up a flag inviting all the travellers down here."

A city council spokesman said: "We are in the process of cleaning it up.

"Much of the debris left is garden waste from gardening jobs, which we will probably recycle by chipping it up as compost.

"We'd also ask residents to help by ensuring they only get gardening and other work carried out by reputable contractors who dispose of the waste properly."

Yesterday about six caravans were spotted on land at the top of Dyke Road Avenue, where there was also a police presence. Another group of travellers were seen off Ditchling Road.

--------------------------------------------------------
I thought that a lot of travellers were supposed to stand for the environment, obviously not. Yes we should have land set aside for them, how about The Outer Hebrides or The Sahara ? Beruit would be another alternative as they'd clear be at home amongst the devastation.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
bhaexpress said:

I thought that a lot of travellers were supposed to stand for the environment

Yeah in a misty eyed Levellers sort of way!

These are absolute scummers who do what they like and the Police are too scared to do anything. It really wouldn't take anything for the Government to sort these people out. No more 'official' traveller sites and powers for the Police for instant evictions. Move the smelly fuckers ten times a day and then see how long they want to live in a caravan.

We have an 'official' site near us in Robertsbridge. The pikies have built houses in there. A couple of years ago the council spent thousands installing toilet blocks. The fuckers don't even pay council tax so why are the council providing them with anything?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The trouble with travellers they don't help themselves.Everywhere they go they leave a place a shit hole and crime in the area goes up.They force entry to alot of places and they are generally a pain in the back side.Find them disused fields and charge them weekly rent and council tax.Don't tell me they can't afford it because just look at the cars they drive

Last edited:

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
f***ing hate Pikies.

Although I did have to laugh when I drove past the broadfield stadium in crawley this morning and they have hung their washing over the fench approaching the stadium and is visible form the roundabout.

D

Deleted member 2719

They are scum like all spongers.
Make them conform or ship them out.

They made camp in a field within a few hundread yards of our place recently and were there for a couple of weeks and if the wind changed direction you could smell them.
They raced their four wheeled Motor bikes all over the farmers fields.
Can the Police be arsed they would rather hide behide bushes and nick people for going a few miles an hour over the speed limit.

:nono:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Mouldy Boots said:
They are scum like all spongers.
Make them conform or ship them out.

They made camp in a field within a few hundread yards of our place recently and were there for a couple of weeks and if the wind changed direction you could smell them.
They raced their four wheeled Motor bikes all over the farmers fields.
Can the Police be arsed they would rather hide behide bushes and nick people for going a few miles an hour over the speed limit.

:nono:

Well said :clap: :clap:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I dislike them as much as everyone else - taxes, mess etc - but I think we have to realise that the number of sites on which to put them seems to diminish year on year. We're now at the point where they complain there is nowhere to go.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Simster said:
I dislike them as much as everyone else - taxes, mess etc - but I think we have to realise that the number of sites on which to put them seems to diminish year on year. We're now at the point where they complain there is nowhere to go.

I was amused earlier this year when Crawley Council point blank refused to create parks for them. As it is members of my family moved a few years ago when some travellers bought up some land near them (not much travelling done then). Now it may be a coincidence but the local crime rate shot up after their arrival. Additionally, the entrance to their land is easy to spot thanks to all the rubbish and scrap that adorn it.

They may not want to conform but why is it that everybody else is expected to pay for them ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
To be honest, whilst I know I harbour these negative views towards travellers, I'm actually a little uncomfortable with it. Afterall, I know f***-all about their lives. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that most of them live their lives in misery, and spend their lives scrabbling around to make ends meet.

The trouble is that if that is all they know, then it is very difficult for them to change to a more conformist lifestyle. Presumably it's like expecting someone who has been inside for 30 years to adapt to the big wide world as soon as they leave prison.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Simster said:
We're now at the point where they complain there is nowhere to go.

How about going to have a wash?

It's strange but there are regular groups near me in Reading, close to the mad stad, and quite honestly they always leave the places they stay very tidy. I know there are other groups who come to Reading who, allegedly don't (I say that because I've not seen where they park) but the groups who stay near me always bag their rubbish and rarely leave rubbish lying around.

It's just people I guess, I have next door neighbours who would, and do, do exactly the same as the ones described by express but they live in houses.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
bhaexpress said:
I thought that a lot of travellers were supposed to stand for the environment, obviously not. ...
I think the problem is people use 'Travellers' as a type of generic label like 'Gays' or 'Muslims'. There are various sub-divisions, 'New Age' travellers by and large DO care about the environment, the ones that tend to come to Brighton nowadays are for want of a better label 'white trash'.

However they exist and they need to be catered for, if they weren't travelling around they'd need council housing so in a lot of ways providing more permanent sites is a cheaper option. What do people want to see? Concentration camps and gas chambers?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Simster said:
To be honest, whilst I know I harbour these negative views towards travellers, I'm actually a little uncomfortable with it. Afterall, I know f***-all about their lives. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that most of them live their lives in misery, and spend their lives scrabbling around to make ends meet.

The trouble is that if that is all they know, then it is very difficult for them to change to a more conformist lifestyle. Presumably it's like expecting someone who has been inside for 30 years to adapt to the big wide world as soon as they leave prison.
That's true. A few years ago I saw a convoy of them up Ditchling Road at about midnight, they were trying to get onto Hollingbury Park. Sure they had big cars, but looking at the people inside I could see they were exhausted. All those of you with wives and kids know what they look like after a long car journey and these people looked ten times worse. I couldn't really begrudge them a night as my near-neighbours.

The problem was they stayed for about a week and trashed the park.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here