Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travel Advice: Driving to Lewes and taking train to Amex

Zamoracomehome

Apr 12, 2010
Hove
If you wouldn't mind giving me some feedback on this please...

I travel from Chichester, and am happy with getting the train for 3pm Sat games (if there are ever any more!) as happy to have a few drinks at the stadium after...

Evening games are an issue though...I finish work just before 6 at the earliest and was caught up in several train delays last week, missing kick offs for both games. Also...came back with family who have ST and had done park and ride: that took us over an hour in the queue.

Is it feasible to drive to Lewes and get the train to the Amex from there? Especially as trains that direction always look a lot quieter after the game.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
If you wouldn't mind giving me some feedback on this please...

I travel from Chichester, and am happy with getting the train for 3pm Sat games (if there are ever any more!) as happy to have a few drinks at the stadium after...

Evening games are an issue though...I finish work just before 6 at the earliest and was caught up in several train delays last week, missing kick offs for both games. Also...came back with family who have ST and had done park and ride: that took us over an hour in the queue.

Is it feasible to drive to Lewes and get the train to the Amex from there? Especially as trains that direction always look a lot quieter after the game.

Absolutely. Lewes is only an extra 10 mins or so up the A27, and there is plenty of parking there as well.

There are also buses to Falmer from Lewes prison crossroads, with plenty of on street parking around that area.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Getting there from Lewes is great, very convenient indeed. Getting back you're subject to the same queues as going to Brighton, I certainly wouldn't say the trains are quieter, hour and a quarter queueing after Gillingham, but I guess you lose nothing compared with going via Brighton

After the Leeds game, it was possible to walk to Falmer Station at about 10.25pm and board the first Lewes-bound train that turned up at about 10.30pm. Brighton-bound passengers were still having to wait in a queue.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I took this option for the Liverpool game and it was awfull. Whereas in previous games the Lewis platform queue was better than the Brighton side the Brighton queue was gone and we were still queuing.

If you get straight out of the stadium at the whistle it's fine but wouldn't risk waiting.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I took this option for the Liverpool game and it was awfull. Whereas in previous games the Lewis platform queue was better than the Brighton side the Brighton queue was gone and we were still queuing.

If you get straight out of the stadium at the whistle it's fine but wouldn't risk waiting.

The problem last Wednesday was the Eastbourne train, for whatever reason, at 10:05ish didn't run whereas it did on Friday - hence there was a 25 minute gap from 21:50 to 22:15 without a train.

Lewes Seagull

Jan 23, 2010
:fishing::fishing::fishing:Oi. Keep out of our town. This is our VIP train for us only. Just waiting for the prawn sandwiches to be served.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Not trying to say told you so here or be a smart arse, but have you thought about sticking your bike in the back of your car, driving to Lewes and then cycling to Falmer. You don't have the hassle of the train at the end of the evening.

I take a slow easy ride there, and it takes me about 30 mins going.
On the way back its about 20 mins as it slightly down hill all the way back.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Lewes has been fine up until Friday when it was a joke (likewise the times I've come from Brighton have been fine up until Tuesday).

Why they have introduced this queuing policy now is beyond me. It's worked perfectly well up until now.

The police haven't been involved up until now at Lewes and it's ran fine. Guess for lower priority games it will be ok. For the higher priority games I'd suggest sticking to the bus or getting a cab.

Can't really comment about coming back as we've always hung about for a beer post game up to now.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
After the Leeds game, it was possible to walk to Falmer Station at about 10.25pm and board the first Lewes-bound train that turned up at about 10.30pm. Brighton-bound passengers were still having to wait in a queue.

The OP might consider Mithras House as another option. I was back in the car by 10.30 on Friday and on the A27 in a few minutes so the OP would be well on his way to Chi by the time the Lewes train arrived at its destination.

Oct 6, 2010
How often are the buses from Kingston roundabout? We passed the queue and then one double decker absolutely packed.

The standard 28 & 29 buses. Every 15 mins I think. It is true that the buses are nearly full at this point, but if you are early enough its not a problem and its def the quickest way back. .... swings and roundabouts. ;)

Not trying to say told you so here or be a smart arse, but have you thought about sticking your bike in the back of your car, driving to Lewes and then cycling to Falmer. You don't have the hassle of the train at the end of the evening.
I take a slow easy ride there, and it takes me about 30 mins going.
On the way back its about 20 mins as it slightly down hill all the way back.
To elaborate, you could use a folding bike which you can carry on the train going from Lewes, a useful option especially if it is raining (or if you only like cycling if it's downhill!)

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
For evening games we now drive to Lewes and park in one of the many car parks (which are free after 6pm), and walk 2 mins to the station. Saves having to either wait for the 22:40 train back to Victoria or missing the train completely.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Just a word of warning to factor in on your journey, but the A27 from the A23 junction round to Falmer was a snail's pace on Friday. First problem was many cars trying to come off at Hollingbury and clogging up all the lanes by Q jumping, then after that the same problem round to the Falmer junction. Falmer was probably worse than Hollingbury, I couldn't believe how many cars were trying to get off there. Could be this is normal Friday night rush hour traffic, it was about 6pm - 6.15pm but it added about 15 mins to my journey to Lewes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here