Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 2.8%

Votes: 12 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Having been in the Lake District for the last week no doubt you have all missed my wit and raconteur but fear not I am back. I did take the opportunity to see at the local fleapit in Windermere, Transformers. The 5 of us went to this small and pretty average cinema and the crowd of 40-50 settled down in the crappy chairs. The film is as expected and does exactly what it says on the tin. It is best watched as a light hearted action film even with some comedic value, it does not take itself too seriously and is a breezy affair. The action starts in awesome fashion with a Decepticon disguised as a helicopter taling out an entire Army base on its on , during this the Scorpion detaces and burrowed into the sand to be seen later. It is the best opening of a film in many a year. The plot is wonderfully ridiculous but I did not go expecting Hamlet and I did not go expecting to see an Oscar winning acting performance. Shia Lebouef however was spot on and is the rising star ( soon to be seen in Indiana Jones 4 as Indiana's Son ) and Megan Fox is gorgeous. The friendly Autobot Bumblebee transforms after chosing Sam as its master and it kicks off from then when Optimus Prime makes his way into the scene.

The transformations are stunning and it is the best special effects ever produced, it has raised the bar.

The Decepticons group when the Cube is detected and all hell breaks loose. Megatron is the biggest and best and the show down between Megatron and Optimus Prime is superb.

All manner of decepticons appears including a coke machine and a mobile phone. It is a tale of Good V Evil and is a triumphant adaptation of the comic book cartoons to the big screen.

The cinema I saw it is did not have a state of the art sound system or screen so I will be watching it again at the Brighton Multiplex for full effect.

Most reviewers have given it a 4 star review and if you go and disengaged your brain and just enjoy $ 175 000 000 of Eye Candy on the screen with magnificent 50 foot robots transforming and beating the shit out of each other you will not be dissapointed. Its taken $ 263 000 000 at the US box office and people who thought Bay would produce a Turkey have been foreced to eat their words. Bring on T2 when I would like to see Spielberg take over the directing helm as that could be something really special.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Easy , have you seen it yet ?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
any chance of a reasoned discussion, if you thought it was shit I could give a toss frankly, I liked it very much so if you thought it was shit does not concern me but any chance of a slightly more detailed explanation if you are capable of it

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
any people out there seen it and can give a sensible review, I thought it was better than Pirates 3, thought I did also quite enjoy that, need to see Die Hard 4.0 and Harry Potter yet

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I went to see it last night. It had the potential to be awesome as the effects are stunning and some of the fight scenes excellent. However the americans have managed to well and truly f*** it up with some of the cheesiest, corniest lines ever, trying to make the film a comedy, predictable love story, pathetic self indulgence and the usual 'yesss mr president, I will die for my country' bollocks.

A real shame as this potentially could have been awesome. It reminded me very much of independence day in that it was a good film but too glorified by the yanks.

Having said all that, if you are after a bit of escapism for two hours, lots of explosions and quality effects then this is a winner :)

Was there some weepy withering debauchker in it somewhere for the ultimate hero bound in butch bracelets and shredding leather, with rippling mussscles and unshaven chin to save from narrowly missing scything razors and needle-sharp barbs?

Do I need to see this latest American 'Armegeddon' type tripe?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
5(.0)

Lukewarm dishwater.

The effects were nowhere near as good as I'd have expected, and the treatment of the franchise was slapdash and cynical. I'm sure we'll have another clone of this in a couple of years to crow over. Instantly forgettable, bar a couple of diverting moments.

I preferred the old cartoon movie with Orson Welles and co. Loads more charm and wit, a better human element, and crucially, far better action.

Don't bother.

P.S. Trailer for 'Cloverfields'/untitled JJ Abrams project is more than a bit special. Roll on 2008.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
very average was quite funny in parts but had no real plot and was just all about CGI. Not as good as the cartoon ( the classic 80's not the strange new version i caught the other day). I agree it was too long but the girl was fit

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
I took my kids this afternoon and they loved it.

For those that criticise I wonder what they expect from a family film about alien transforming robots? Its 2 hours of pure action and escapism and my 2 boys came out awestruck and jabbering away about how awesome it was so I'd say they've got their target audience spot on.

(their dad thoroughly enjoyed it too!:lol:)

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I took my kids this afternoon and they loved it.

For those that criticise I wonder what they expect from a family film about alien transforming robots? Its 2 hours of pure action and escapism and my 2 boys came out awestruck and jabbering away about how awesome it was so I'd say they've got their target audience spot on.

(their dad thoroughly enjoyed it too!:lol:)

That is a very good point. As a 30 year old I was probably over-analysing it. If I was a teenager again (I wish) I would have bloody loved it.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
I liked it a lot. I've seen it quite a few times now as well, which says something as I'm not a massive film buff.

But as I've said before, the American self importance aspect grates quite a lot still.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I enjoyed it, some of the action scenes were quality. It is obviously aimed at kids but there is plenty there for the adults to appreciate. I was brought up on the original Transformers cartoon, I think they should have brought in the old "Robots in disguise" theme tune.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Saw it last night, and I thought it was rather a jolly romp!! Excellent effects, a fairly simple plot (which was all that was needed), and just the right amount of silliness. Could have been awful, but I rather enjoyed it!

Go see!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I preferred From Russia With Love - last night

" I havent seen it yet btw"

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have not borthered to read the above comments as I know it will just be a childish thread slagging it off for the sake of it but my colleague here said to me this morning it was the greatest film he has seen in his life and he watches a lot of films and all 6 of them said it was superb as did the whole cinema. He is a 28 year old man so it appears the NSC club is out of sinque again with popular opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here