Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transfers in & Out in 2006

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
So why bring him in and 'gamble' wit El Abd and Lynch.

I really don't understand.

We could have played hmi in the middle and got that waste of sapce Mayo out the side wither by moving El Abd to right back and Reid to let or asking Lynch to play in the middle. It just doesn't make sense to me.

We gambled with El-Abd and Lynch because they were are own players and deserved their chance. They took it. If they hadn't, we'd have had decent cover.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
ATFC Seagull said:
Would that be 20-year old Florent Chaigneu who had made appearances for Rennes in the top flight of French football, been number 2 to Peter Czech, and made appearances for France at various age levels?
Yes that would be the same man. The same one who played 3 times in 3 defeats for us. The same one who the Albion asked to cancel his loan, but were refused. The same one who Mark McGhee stated wasn't good enough. Yes that is him.

Last edited:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
ATFC Seagull said:
Would that be 20-year old Florent Chaigneu who had made appearances for Rennes in the top flight of French football, been number 2 to Peter Czech, and made appearances for France at various age levels?

I guess so ( i was only trying to help by the way)

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Mr Burns said:
Richard Martin was a youth keeper and covered the bench for a number of months last season when Kuipers was injured or refused to play for us, or when Big Flo refused to play for us.
Big Flo while not our player was loan cover and quite youthful, and deemed not good enough for the first team but good enough for the bench (when he was not refusing to play for us). He was only on the bench instead of our Youth Richard Martin because his club refused to cancel his loan and take him back. (thats how f***ing good he was!)
So if we had a keeper deemed not ready/good enough for the first team, my point was why can we not have a young/unproven defender on the bench for one or two games, instead of wasting a loan signing.

But anyway, this is way of topic, if you want to start a thread about it, I'm sure they'd be many people ready to discuss it.

I think theres a difference between having to use youth players on the bench at times during the season when unpredictable situations have given rise to it, and going into a season doing so. Especially when there is loan cover easily available.

Also, whilst I know keepers make and break games, you are a LOT less likely to make a substitution of your keeper, as they are statistically less likely to get injured/red carded etc. There was even a phase when lots of teams didn't even have one (I think we might not have done under Adams at times). So its not really a fair comparison to a centre-half.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
hitony said:
I guess so ( i was only trying to help by the way)

Yeah, its just not what I'd call a "youth goalkeeper", and I don't really like people suggesting I don't know what I'm talking about!

Wasn't aimed at you mate!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Mr Burns said:
Yes that would be the same man. The same one who played 3 times in 3 defeats for us. The same one who the Albion asked to cancel his loan, but were refused. The same one who Mark McGhee stated wasn't good enough. Yes that is him.

Well my point was that he wasn't really a youth goalkeeper, and you'd confused me!

I think we had reason to expect a bit more pedigree from him than a youth keeper when we signed him anyway.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
ATFC Seagull said:
Well my point was that he wasn't really a youth goalkeeper, and you'd confused me!

I think we had reason to expect a bit more pedigree from him than a youth keeper when we signed him anyway.
We did. But it soon became very clear he didn't the pedigree we expected, yet he was seen as someone to sit on the bench, and that is my point.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here