Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transfers in & Out in 2006

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
But most on here are moaning about using youngsters, seems to me most are saying they want experianced, tried and tested !!! (now where have i heard that before ??? :p )

No win senario sometimes

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Mr Burns said:
???
Obviously not. But you use another youngster like Tommy Elphick or you moved things around a bit if you have no other choice.
But one thing I know for sure, if you take players on loan from another club, you are expected to play them, or at least give them a chance. Why would Wolves let us have one of their players to sit on the bench and play in the reserves, when he can do that there. You make loan signings in improve your team, not enlarge your squad.

I agree with the point that players/their contract-holding clubs are unlikely to want to go on loan unless its to play...which is exactly why Lowe returned to Wolves I believe.

But where exactly do you draw the line between the team and the squad? Theres more than 11 players in a team. And I don't think any manager aims to "enlarge" their squad, they aim to "improve" it. You make signings to improve your squad, of whatever type is available. An experienced defender was improving the shape of our squad, and we got one by the means that we could, a loan.

Loft23

Dec 11, 2004
Burgess Hill
Mr Burns said:
We have seen

Alex Revell (Braintree)
Geroges Santos (Post Office Pension Queue)
& Tony Stokes (West Ham Youth) like we aint got enough of our own youth to use

What about Doug Loft?

I agree with what your saying though, the amount of good players we have lost completely outnumber the ones we have brought in. I think we needed to sign 3 players at least today (left back, midfielder and a 'target man') but it looks like we'll be lucky to sign one. :(

Last edited:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
hitony said:
But most on here are moaning about using youngsters, seems to me most are saying they want experianced, tried and tested !!! (now where have i heard that before ??? :p )

No win senario sometimes

:clap: :clap:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
Re: Re: Transfers in & Out in 2006

bew4194 said:
What about Doug Loft?

I agree with what your saying though, the amount of good players we have lost completely outnumber the ones we have brought in. I think we needed to sign 3 players at least today (left back, midfielder and a 'target man') but it looks like we'll be lucky to sign one. :(

Yeah.......but look at the romance when we win the league without having signed any new players ...........it will be marvelous scenes :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

DOCTOR ..................I THINK THESE NEW DRUGS YOU PUT ME ON ARE WORKING FINE NOW !!!!!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
We could have given some of the other youngsters a chance, had Lynch or Mayo got injured/out of from.

If we're going to 'gamble' (to an extent) with the first choice, I think it would be sensible, to have some one reliable, next in line.

McGhee would have been criticised if he didn't have cover in with both Hinsh and Butters injured. He showed faith in our own players and was rewarded.

If El-Abd and Lynch had not worked, why would Breach, Elphick, Rents work?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
ATFC Seagull said:
I agree with the point that players/their contract-holding clubs are unlikely to want to go on loan unless its to play...which is exactly why Lowe returned to Wolves I believe.

But where exactly do you draw the line between the team and the squad? Theres more than 11 players in a team. And I don't think any manager aims to "enlarge" their squad, they aim to "improve" it. You make signings to improve your squad, of whatever type is available. An experienced defender was improving the shape of our squad, and we got one by the means that we could, a loan.
My point is you make Loan signings to improve your team. Its a wasted loan. If one of the players got injured we could have signed him in time for the next game. If we can have a youth goalkeeper on the bench as cover for a whole season, then surely a youth centre half for one game will do, instead of using a loan up.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Turkey said:
If we're going to 'gamble' (to an extent) with the first choice, I think it would be sensible, to have some one reliable, next in line.

McGhee would have been criticised if he didn't have cover in with both Hinsh and Butters injured. He showed faith in our own players and was rewarded.

If El-Abd and Lynch had not worked, why would Breach, Elphick, Rents work?

Lowe has played 29 league games in his career for 5 different clubs.

Reliable?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Mr Burns said:
. If we can have a youth goalkeeper on the bench as cover for a whole season.

When have we done that? In recent years, I mean.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Mr Burns said:
My point is you make Loan signings to improve your team. Its a wasted loan. If one of the players got injured we could have signed him in time for the next game. If we can have a youth goalkeeper on the bench as cover for a whole season, then surely a youth centre half for one game will do, instead of using a loan up.

Ok, good argument.

Maybe we had to act quick. Others clubs were probably after him.

Also, we had 3 games in 8 days? So we didn't have that much time to play about with.

Finally, the whingers would have been out in force if we'd signed no cover with Hinsh/Lynch injured!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Lowe has played 29 league games in his career for 5 different clubs.

Reliable?

Fucks sake word picking - my point was - He's got experience and good reviews at this level and higher.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Mr Burns said:
Sorry, are you on the right message board?
You do know this is a Brighton & Hove Albion board don't you.:shootself

Yes. Thankyou for pointing that out to me.

Maybe I'm missing something embarassingly obvious here, in which case I'll apologise, but could you please answer my question, as obviously I'm some sort of tag-along non-real fan part-time poster.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
ATFC Seagull said:

Maybe I'm missing something embarassingly obvious here, in which case I'll apologise, but could you please answer my question, as obviously I'm some sort of tag-along non-real fan part-time poster.

see post above mate.......and your more than welcome :clap:

(well 3 posts above)

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Turkey said:
Fucks sake word picking - my point was - He's got experience and good reviews at this level and higher.

So why bring him in and 'gamble' wit El Abd and Lynch.

I really don't understand.

We could have played hmi in the middle and got that waste of sapce Mayo out the side wither by moving El Abd to right back and Reid to let or asking Lynch to play in the middle. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
ATFC Seagull said:

Richard Martin was a youth keeper and covered the bench for a number of months last season when Kuipers was injured or refused to play for us, or when Big Flo refused to play for us.
Big Flo while not our player was loan cover and quite youthful, and deemed not good enough for the first team but good enough for the bench (when he was not refusing to play for us). He was only on the bench instead of our Youth Richard Martin because his club refused to cancel his loan and take him back. (thats how f***ing good he was!)
So if we had a keeper deemed not ready/good enough for the first team, my point was why can we not have a young/unproven defender on the bench for one or two games, instead of wasting a loan signing.

But anyway, this is way of topic, if you want to start a thread about it, I'm sure they'd be many people ready to discuss it.

Last edited:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
hitony said:
that french thingy...flo chaingueu or whatever it was :lolol:

Would that be 20-year old Florent Chaigneu who had made appearances for Rennes in the top flight of French football, been number 2 to Peter Czech, and made appearances for France at various age levels?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here