Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transfer deadlines - wow, they no longer APPLY

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Whether FIFA know about it or not, do you not think that ALL clubs should just play by the rules Kinky ?

It would appear that Pompey couldn't get the Defoe deal through in time to be in line with the transfer deadline that everyone else had to abide by. So to get round this, they announced on Friday that Defoe had signed "on loan", and duley played him against Chelsea on Saturday.

NOW, after the mess surrounding Benjani leaves them with a transfer fee of £3.5m, its suddenly not a loan at all. Its turned into a four year deal. 5 days after the window closed.

Does that not even SLIGHTLY arouse your suspicions ? Shouldn't somebody be saying "hang on a minute....." ? Or do you (like the FAPL and the FA) just shrug and let them get on with it ?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Spurs Swindon before my time so I dont know much about that.

However, If West Ham had still been in the cup I assume they would have been removed as Bury had been.

As for Man Utd being warned about picking teams isnt it normal for a player on loan/just moved to a club to have a clause saying they cant play against us this year?

I dont think Pennant couldnt play against Arsenal a few years back?

Also didnt Watford and Sheff Utd get warned for doing the same thing?

They are permitted in loan deals but PL rules state this cannot apply to permanant deals. As Howards was permanant then it was in breach of premier league rules.

This occurance was not helped by Everton losing a 2 goal lead in that game largely due to mistakes by the stand in keeper which caused them to move 3 points ahead of nearest rivals Chelsea

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Whether FIFA know about it or not, do you not think that ALL clubs should just play by the rules Kinky ?

It would appear that Pompey couldn't get the Defoe deal through in time to be in line with the transfer deadline that everyone else had to abide by. So to get round this, they announced on Friday that Defoe had signed "on loan", and duley played him against Chelsea on Saturday.

NOW, after the mess surrounding Benjani leaves them with a transfer fee of £3.5m, its suddenly not a loan at all. Its turned into a four year deal. 5 days after the window closed.

Does that not even SLIGHTLY arouse your suspicions ? Shouldn't somebody be saying "hang on a minute....." ? Or do you (like the FAPL and the FA) just shrug and let them get on with it ?

Yes All clubs should play by the rules, however in this case we dont know what has gone on so untill we get more evidence on what has actually gone on rather than what we would like to think has gone on its all guess work.

And going back to Defoe, what difference does it make if Defoe is on loan or not?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
They are permitted in loan deals but PL rules state this cannot apply to permanant deals. As Howards was permanant then it was in breach of premier league rules.

This occurance was not helped by Everton losing a 2 goal lead in that game largely due to mistakes by the stand in keeper which caused them to move 3 points ahead of nearest rivals Chelsea

He was only on loan last season?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Howard signs Everton deal
Wednesday, February 14, 2007
Tim Howard
Tim Howard

Everton have clinched the signing of goalkeeper Tim Howard on a five-year contract from Manchester United for a fee believed to be in the region of £3million.

Howard joined the Merseysiders on loan from the beginning of the season, with his long-term future at Old Trafford very much in doubt.

Howard's new deal will start from the beginning of next season and run until 2012, with the current loan continuing for the rest of the campaign.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes All clubs should play by the rules, however in this case we dont know what has gone on so untill we get more evidence on what has actually gone on rather than what we would like to think has gone on its all guess work.
We don't know whats gone on because the whole thing was a mess and Pompey have come out with two different stories. Evidence would be fine, but so far it doesn't even sound like theres going to be an investigation !

And going back to Defoe, what difference does it make if Defoe is on loan or not?
Because they only wrapped up the permanent deal today - the paperwork to sign him HAD NOT BEEN DONE by midnight on Thursday, so clearly the only way they could play him last Saturday was by saying they'd got him on loan. Otherwise, TODAYS statement would have been made last FRIDAY.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Howard signs Everton deal
Wednesday, February 14, 2007
Tim Howard
Tim Howard

Everton have clinched the signing of goalkeeper Tim Howard on a five-year contract from Manchester United for a fee believed to be in the region of £3million.

Howard joined the Merseysiders on loan from the beginning of the season, with his long-term future at Old Trafford very much in doubt.

Howard's new deal will start from the beginning of next season and run until 2012, with the current loan continuing for the rest of the campaign.

Yep signed on contract on 14th Feb 2007 the game in question was on 28th April 2007 so after he became permanant so was in breach of PL rules

Haha, I have to respect Portsmouth on this one.
Someone pulled a fast one during their transfers of Defoe and Benjani, and I reckon when they saw that they were getting screwed, they did a little armtwisting by turning around on the Defoe deal (i.e. some 'body' were suddenly not going to get a lump of dosh as a percentage of that transfer). So, the 'body' decided it was SUDDENLY prudent to give Portsmouth their own way again.

There was no way Defoe was a "loan", he was a purchase.... until pompey realised they'd been messed with, THEN it was "oh, he is just a LOAN, not a BUY".

Chicanery, and why else would everything suddenly get smoothed out, and Defoe become a 'permanent purchase' again?

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
There's Only One Answer To This Problem. Kick Ken Bates Out Of Leeds And Install Him As Head Of The FA. A Real Poacher Turned Gamekeeper. He Knows All The Tricks Chairmen And Clubs Pull, Knows All The Baddies In The Game And Is Universally Disliked. Perfect For Head Of The FA.

It Takes A Baddie Out Of A Club And Puts Him Right Into The Public Eye.

In Fact Install Risdale As Bates's Deputy. Job Done.

There's Only One Answer To This Problem. Kick Ken Bates Out Of Leeds And Install Him As Head Of The FA. A Real Poacher Turned Gamekeeper. He Knows All The Tricks Chairmen And Clubs Pull, Knows All The Baddies In The Game And Is Universally Disliked. Perfect For Head Of The FA.

It Takes A Baddie Out Of A Club And Puts Him Right Into The Public Eye.

In Fact Install Risdale As Bates's Deputy. Job Done.

Ya know, that IS how it should be!

Brilliant Bars Mar, and I bet some twathead will come along to bully you on your correct opinion as well.
That's genius!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The thing is, I thought it was a TRANSFER window, and that the LOAN window opens this week.

So how can it be a LOAN in the TRANSFER window?

I'm just confused by it all. Why can't we just have the old system back where clubs could buy players when they needed them?

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
Bates is a f***ing crook. Fact. Bars, we don't want him running the show!

I've Met Bates In Shall We Say A Professional Capacity And Although I Don't Trust Him, He's Shrewd And Clever And Knows The Business. There Would Be No Profit In Him Running The FA And So He Wouldn't Be Able To Rob Anyone.

Imagine Him On The FIFA Committee. It Would Be An Inspired Appointment.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
This is exactly the same as what happened with Tim Howard last season, just a case of making a loan signing permanent, not that controverisal really. But people to love a good whinge

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here