Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transfer deadlines - wow, they no longer APPLY

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But the Premier League works to Premier League rules.

The FA does f*** all because it's now powerless.
Well, it CHOOSES to be "powerless" when it comers to this type of thing. As I say, its much easier to look the other way rather than to write to Mr Scudamore asking what the f*** is going on allowing deals to go through after transfer deadline day.

It just suits all parties to flout the rules and then brush it under the carpet. What if FIFA started asking questions about this particular deal ? After all, its their deadline, they imposed it. The FA would damn well HAVE to be seen to be getting involved then wouldn't they ? Till that happens though, everyone just carries on their merry way. Its how you now have a team playing in the top flight courtesy of the fact that they actually got away with playing a ringer all season.

It all just stinks a bit, dontcha fink ?

bobbyzam

Jul 5, 2006
London
Whilst I admit the Benjani deal sounds dodgy, can't see the issue with the Defoe deal.

Defoe signed on loan for Portsmouth and now they have agreed to sign him. I imagine at the end of his loan period. In much the same way Nathan Tyson joined Nottingham Forest, he signed from Wycombe outside of the transfer window on loan and signed for Forest once the window reopened at Christmas. Although the deal was agreed as soon as he signed on loan

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The latest:

Jermain Defoe has signed a permanent four-and-a-half-year contract with Portsmouth and was never on loan at Fratton Park, reports BBC Radio Solent.

The 25-year-old England striker moved to Pompey from Tottenham on transfer deadline day. There was confusion over the terms of the transfer, with Portsmouth initially announcing Defoe had joined on loan.

But Pompey's chief executive Peter Storrie says that the deal was always a permanent one. Storrie's claims are contrary to those of a Portsmouth spokesman, who said on Sunday: "Defoe's transfer was done as an initial loan because of time restraints".

Storrie said "The full documents will be signed and registered this week and this is a standard method when you have little time."

Changing storys now....the whole thing smells.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Whilst I admit the Benjani deal sounds dodgy, can't see the issue with the Defoe deal.

Defoe signed on loan for Portsmouth and now they have agreed to sign him. I imagine at the end of his loan period. In much the same way Nathan Tyson joined Nottingham Forest, he signed from Wycombe outside of the transfer window on loan and signed for Forest once the window reopened at Christmas. Although the deal was agreed as soon as he signed on loan
You've answered it yourself - Tyson was there on loan, then signed permanently when the window reopened.

Defoe was there "on loan" and then made the deal permanent today (5 DAYS after the window closed). Only now, they're backtracking.

So when exactly DID Defoe sign a permanent deal at Pompey ? It really shouldn't be a difficult question to answer....unless they know the answer breaches the rules.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The whole deal has sounded nothing but dodgy from the moment it started to fall apart before the end of the window. Nothing suprises me with the premier league these days. Like the Tevez affair it seems if you have enough fives up your sleeve you can buy your way out of trouble.

The premier league are not interested in getting involved and has been running out of control for years. The FA are happy to take a back seat and watch it all crumble in front of them as not one of them has a f*cking clue about what is going on in the modern game.

The warnings were there that the premier league would ruin football in this country and this latest farce is just another in a long line of problems.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Totally agree Seagulls78.
Whats the POINT of having these rules if clubs are just allowed to ride roughshod over them when it suits them ? It seems you can just create a confusing smokescreen, put out a bit of spin, then bobs yer knob no questions asked and everyones forgotten about it in a week anyway.

Perhaps if the Albion had an extra 5 days, we could have secured Cheaterfields captain. Or Currie from Luton. But we ran out of time, and thats that. Except if you're a big enough club for the rules not to really matter.

The authorities just arn't INTERESTED in applying their own rules, unless they are clobbering some poor fucker from Havant & Waterlooville to make sure his ban extends to Anfield, or if they're chucking Bury out of the Cup for bringing on a 2nd half sub who played 20 minutes for another club in a preliminary round.

The double standards in football f***ing STINK in this country.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
The FA is essentially irrelevant now.

Having sanctioned the formation of the Premiership they effectively handed power to the big clubs. As the Tevez affair showed, as the Tim Howard "gentleman's agreement showed and as the Benjani nonsense this week showed again, any "rules" are bent to allow what the big clubs want.

The only thing that surprises me is that anyone is still surprised by this.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The authorities just arn't INTERESTED in applying their own rules, unless they are clobbering some poor fucker from Havant & Waterlooville to make sure his ban extends to Anfield,

Beause he totted up 5 yellow cards.

They would not have known that they were arranging a game to get him back if someone at Havant had not told everyone.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Beause he totted up 5 yellow cards.

They would not have known that they were arranging a game to get him back if someone at Havant had not told everyone.
Or "been honest about it", as it could perhaps have been construed.

Precisely my point. The shysters get away with it. Play with a straight bat, be up front and honest, and you get hammered.

And Crasher - I'm not surprised by it at all. Just wearily f***ed off with it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Or "been honest about it", as it could perhaps have been construed.

Precisely my point. The shysters get away with it. Play with a straight bat, be up front and honest, and you get hammered.

And Crasher - I'm not surprised by it at all. Just wearily f***ed off with it.

So you are suggesting that because its a big game he should be let off?

Say if Chestfield played Luke Becket after doing the same sort of thing and he scored and stopped Brighton winning the league - how would you feel knowing the had arranged a match to allow one of the clubs better players to play?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
You've answered it yourself - Tyson was there on loan, then signed permanently when the window reopened.

Defoe was there "on loan" and then made the deal permanent today (5 DAYS after the window closed). Only now, they're backtracking.

So when exactly DID Defoe sign a permanent deal at Pompey ? It really shouldn't be a difficult question to answer....unless they know the answer breaches the rules.

Also it was the Sun that first run the story on Defoe being on loan was it not?

If you believe most things in that paper Spurs would have 15 new players.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The FA is essentially irrelevant now.

Having sanctioned the formation of the Premiership they effectively handed power to the big clubs. As the Tevez affair showed, as the Tim Howard "gentleman's agreement showed and as the Benjani nonsense this week showed again, any "rules" are bent to allow what the big clubs want.

The only thing that surprises me is that anyone is still surprised by this.

Oh these things go on alright but the Premier league as custodians of the league have a right to enforce the rules of the game

The problem is like you say they bend them and rules are not enforced. In these circumstances they have to be accountable for their lack of control.

In this case there is a suspicion a club has broken a FIFA imposed transfer deadline. If the premier league fail to investigate and act on this they should be brought to justice by footballs governing bodies.

If these rules are not enforced then what is the point of having them in the first place???!!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Oh these things go on alright but the Premier league as custodians of the league have a right to enforce the rules of the game

The problem is like you say they bend them and rules are not enforced. In these circumstances they have to be accountable for their lack of control.

In this case there is a suspicion a club has broken a FIFA imposed transfer deadline. If the premier league fail to investigate and act on this they should be brought to justice by footballs governing bodies.

If these rules are not enforced then what is the point of having them in the first place???!!

Without knowing what went on, I am guessing - but I would have thought Fifa would have been told about the goings on and would have been included in the approval.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So you are suggesting that because its a big game he should be let off?

Say if Chestfield played Luke Becket after doing the same sort of thing and he scored and stopped Brighton winning the league - how would you feel knowing the had arranged a match to allow one of the clubs better players to play?

Not necessarily, no.
I'm suggesting that if there are rules, then the authorities should apply them against EVERYONE - not just the "minnows". But they don't. If its a Premiership club, they either turn a blind eye, or apply a slap on the wrist. The examples on this are numerous.

Swindon - relegated two divisions (from having gained promotion to the top flight) for financial irregularties - changed to 1 division on appeal

Tottenham - kicked out of the FA Cup and docked 10 points for financial irregularities - later reinstated into the Cup on appeal, and bought all the points back, turning it into a "fine"

Bury - kicked out of the Cup for fielding an ineligable player

West Ham - fined for fielding an ineligable player all season (and in the Cup as well)

man U "warned" over picking Evertons team for them by insisting they don't play Tim Howard

See a pattern here ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Also it was the Sun that first run the story on Defoe being on loan was it not?

If you believe most things in that paper Spurs would have 15 new players.

No. I saw it on the BBC website (as it was an official spokesman at Pompey who said it)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Without knowing what went on, I am guessing - but I would have thought Fifa would have been told about the goings on and would have been included in the approval.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, and I would have thought I have some fairies at the bottom of my garden.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Not sure how the system works but with the volume of transfers I would be suprised if all had to be sanctioned by FIFA but may be the case.

In regard to the this transfer a PFC club spokesman detailed that the deal was on a loan basis on 1st Feb. This was not contested and despite this being widely reported across the press since nobody at PFC has jumped out and contested this claim.

Then today it is revealed that oops sorry we got it wrong it was actually a permanant deal.

It may be the case that everything is above board and this is simply an error on behalf of the club but what is suprising is nobody has come out and said 'well actually we might check over that transfer to see of everything was done in line with PL regulations'

This is obviously just the Defoe side with the Benjani part of the deal still unresolved and may have to go to court.

This is a mess and this sort of activity only causes speculation that not all is being revealed when PL teams and transfers are concerned. Not a good image for the game

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, and I would have thought I have some fairies at the bottom of my garden.

I Have fairies in mine, you can take some.

FIFA were the ones who forced this window and being the nob jockeys they are anyone not following the rules they set out tend to be fined - Like I sain Im guessing about Fifa knowing about the transfers as you are with them not knowing about them.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Not necessarily, no.
I'm suggesting that if there are rules, then the authorities should apply them against EVERYONE - not just the "minnows". But they don't. If its a Premiership club, they either turn a blind eye, or apply a slap on the wrist. The examples on this are numerous.

Swindon - relegated two divisions (from having gained promotion to the top flight) for financial irregularties - changed to 1 division on appeal

Tottenham - kicked out of the FA Cup and docked 10 points for financial irregularities - later reinstated into the Cup on appeal, and bought all the points back, turning it into a "fine"

Bury - kicked out of the Cup for fielding an ineligable player

West Ham - fined for fielding an ineligable player all season (and in the Cup as well)

man U "warned" over picking Evertons team for them by insisting they don't play Tim Howard

See a pattern here ?

Spurs Swindon before my time so I dont know much about that.

However, If West Ham had still been in the cup I assume they would have been removed as Bury had been.

As for Man Utd being warned about picking teams isnt it normal for a player on loan/just moved to a club to have a clause saying they cant play against us this year?

I dont think Pennant couldnt play against Arsenal a few years back?

Also didnt Watford and Sheff Utd get warned for doing the same thing?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here