Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transfer deadlines - wow, they no longer APPLY

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Looky looky, on the Beeb:

Jermain Defoe has made his loan move to Portsmouth permanent and signed a four-and-a-half-year deal at Fratton Park, reports BBC Radio Solent.
The 25-year-old England striker joined Pompey on loan from Tottenham on transfer deadline day.

Defoe scored on his Portsmouth debut in their 1-1 draw against Chelsea. Pompey boss Harry Redknapp bought Defoe to replace Zimbabwe striker Benjani, who finally joined Manchester City for an initial £3.87m on Tuesday. (uhhh, 5 days after everyone else had to get their transfers sorted)

It was thought that Defoe, who scored on his debut, had signed a permanent deal from Tottenham on transfer deadline day but that was not the case. "Defoe's transfer was done as an initial loan because of time restraints," said a Pompey spokesman.

Benjani was initially left in limbo after his move to Manchester City ran out of time on Thursday night. Redknapp added: "I honestly could not tell you the exact details but, at five minutes to midnight on Thursday, the two deals were dependent on each other with us getting £9m for Benjani and spending it on Defoe. I didn't want to lose him but, of course, I had to because it is good business to sell a 29-year-old and get in a lad of 25 who is always going to get you goals."

The Benjani transfer went through when the Premier League completed their investigation into why forms from City to register Benjani did not arrive in time to beat the January transfer deadline.

Oh I see now, so there are actual TIME RESTRAINTS on transfer deadline day. I get it. Well if THATS the criteria now, then I don't know why we should worry about an actual transfer deadline as such. Just bring the fella in on loan at some point during the transfer window, and straighten out all the details concerning the transfer fee / contract negotiations etc etc whenever you like really. During the folloowing week ? Some time in February ? By the end of the season ? Who cares ? The rules have been broken, precedent has been set, now go and do what you like. And if anyone tries to put the kybosh on it, just point m'lud towards the case of Defoe / Benjani to Pompey / Man City.

Yet ANOTHER fudge by Barwick and his chums. :clap:

Hmmm....you know, if this happened to be a transfer between, say, Barnet and Bury, I wonder whether the FA would be quite so "flexible" in their approach ? Or perhaps this only applies to Premiership clubs ?

*strokes chin thoughtfully*

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Looky looky, on the Beeb:

Jermain Defoe has made his loan move to Portsmouth permanent and signed a four-and-a-half-year deal at Fratton Park, reports BBC Radio Solent.
The 25-year-old England striker joined Pompey on loan from Tottenham on transfer deadline day.

Defoe scored on his Portsmouth debut in their 1-1 draw against Chelsea. Pompey boss Harry Redknapp bought Defoe to replace Zimbabwe striker Benjani, who finally joined Manchester City for an initial £3.87m on Tuesday. (uhhh, 5 days after everyone else had to get their transfers sorted)

It was thought that Defoe, who scored on his debut, had signed a permanent deal from Tottenham on transfer deadline day but that was not the case. "Defoe's transfer was done as an initial loan because of time restraints," said a Pompey spokesman.

Benjani was initially left in limbo after his move to Manchester City ran out of time on Thursday night. Redknapp added: "I honestly could not tell you the exact details but, at five minutes to midnight on Thursday, the two deals were dependent on each other with us getting £9m for Benjani and spending it on Defoe. I didn't want to lose him but, of course, I had to because it is good business to sell a 29-year-old and get in a lad of 25 who is always going to get you goals."

The Benjani transfer went through when the Premier League completed their investigation into why forms from City to register Benjani did not arrive in time to beat the January transfer deadline.

Oh I see now, so there are actual TIME RESTRAINTS on transfer deadline day. I get it. Well if THATS the criteria now, then I don't know why we should worry about an actual transfer deadline as such. Just bring the fella in on loan at some point during the transfer window, and straighten out all the details concerning the transfer fee / contract negotiations etc etc whenever you like really. During the folloowing week ? Some time in February ? By the end of the season ? Who cares ? The rules have been broken, precedent has been set, now go and do what you like. And if anyone tries to put the kybosh on it, just point m'lud towards the case of Defoe / Benjani to Pompey / Man City.

Yet ANOTHER fudge by Barwick and his chums. :clap:

Hmmm....you know, if this happened to be a transfer between, say, Barnet and Bury, I wonder whether the FA would be quite so "flexible" in their approach ? Or perhaps this only applies to Premiership clubs ?

*strokes chin thoughtfully*

Barnet and Bury could loan the player to each other from next week, so this situation could not happen.

Also when was Barwick in charge of the Premiership?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
FA = f*** All.

That is what they do.
That is what they stand for.
That is what they will do about this.

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
Barwick needs a kicking anyway even if it's nothing to do with him.
Bloomin' Gordon Kaye looky-likey useless git...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Barnet and Bury could loan the player to each other from next week, so this situation could not happen.
Thats not exactly what I'm getting at Kinky. The point is, Thursdays official, universally accepted and understood transfer deadline, has clearly been "circumnavigated".

Also when was Barwick in charge of the Premiership?
He's not. But as Chief Executive of the Football Assocation, who are supposd to be the governing body of football in England, you would think he'd be looking out for the rules ?

Mind you, the way the FAPL handled the West Sham affair last year, I suppose I shouldn't expect any better. And Barwick will be far too busy gurning for England this week and basking in Capello's refected glory to take any interest.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
The FA don't run the Premier League - I'm amazed so few people understand that.

I think the very common "FA Premier League"/"FAPL" initialisation used in newspapers/on TV causes much of this confusion. Will usually see that used in the sports sections of most papers every day.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Quite, Thats what I was getting at.

Thats not exactly what I'm getting at Kinky. The point is, Thursdays official, universally accepted and understood transfer deadline, has clearly been "circumnavigated"

with out knowing all the facts its hard to know what went on.

Fax failing?
Man City trying to scam Portsmouth?

who knows

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They are the GOVERNING BODY of football in England though, and therefore have a responsibilty to see that their member clubs are conducting business in a proper manner in accordance with the rules. If Scudamore and the FAPL can't keep their house in order, then who else is supposed to step in ? The Queen ?

Its no joke. The FA really DOES stand for f*** All, because thats precisely what they do whenever theres something dodgy. Just look the other way. They've made it into an artform. Just look at all the "help" they give to clubs when they're being asset stripped. And when they DO get put under a bit of media pressure because of their sheer ineptitude, then they'll order a "root and branch investigation" (conducted by, err, themselves), till the heat dies down and the story is dead, and what will have been achieved ? What will have changed ? You got it.

f***. All.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
So this COULD end up as a West Ham stylee ineligable player type thing whereas if Portsmouth finish 5th by a point and qualify for europe & thus denying say, Everton european football. A great big hho ha could erupt again as defoe scored for Pomey to earn a 1-1 draw whilst ineligable

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
So this COULD end up as a West Ham stylee ineligable player type thing whereas if Portsmouth finish 5th by a point and qualify for europe & thus denying say, Everton european football. A great big hho ha could erupt again as defoe scored for Pomey to earn a 1-1 draw whilst ineligable

I dont think Defoe would be an Issue, he signed on loan before Midnight

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
They are the GOVERNING BODY of football in England though, and therefore have a responsibilty to see that their member clubs are conducting business in a proper manner in accordance with the rules. If Scudamore and the FAPL can't keep their house in order, then who else is supposed to step in ? The Queen ?

Its no joke. The FA really DOES stand for f*** All, because thats precisely what they do whenever theres something dodgy. Just look the other way. They've made it into an artform. Just look at all the "help" they give to clubs when they're being asset stripped. And when they DO get put under a bit of pressure because of their sheer ineptitude, they'll order a "root and branch investigation" (conducted by, err, themselves), till the heat dies down and the story is dead, and what will have been achieved ? What will have changed ? You got it.

f***. All.

As you say Easy, they are ready to flex thier muscles if the Barnet's, Bury's or Brighton's fall foul of any rules but if the infringement is of a Premiership Team then they revert to the 'Fast Show' Suits You' grovelling pose.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I dont think Defoe would be an Issue, he signed on loan before Midnight

And then signed a permanent four-and-a-half year deal five days AFTER the transfer window had closed to go and play for Harry Redknapp (and this also after having played and scored for Pompey 2 days after the transfer window had closed as well).

No, I'm sure theres NOTHING dodgy about all that at all. Nothing to see here guv, move along.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
And then signed a permanent four-and-a-half year deal five days AFTER the transfer window had closed to go and play for Harry Redknapp (and this also after having played and scored for Pompey 2 days after the transfer window had closed as well).

No, I'm sure theres NOTHING dodgy about all that at all. Nothing to see here guv, move along.

But what does it matter if he signed a deal after the window has shut? he was going to be there on loan till the end of the season?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But what does it matter if he signed a deal after the window has shut? he was going to be there on loan till the end of the season?
Well he's there for 4 years now - and that was decided today.
Not QUITE how the transfer window is supposed to work, is it ? Still one rule for some....

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Well he's there for 4 years now - and that was decided today.
Not QUITE how the transfer window is supposed to work, is it ? Still one rule for some....

I bit like Watford and King when they were in the Championship?

This happens all the time, its just that Spurs and Portsmouth cant keep there mouths shut.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
They are the GOVERNING BODY of football in England though, and therefore have a responsibilty to see that their member clubs are conducting business in a proper manner in accordance with the rules.

But the Premier League works to Premier League rules.

The FA does f*** all because it's now powerless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here