Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trains to the AMEX

eastterracemike

Jan 31, 2008
Why does that matter? The train I get home of an evening is 8 coaches whilst some of the stations can only take 5.

You're spot on there although people need to be sensible about it as well. On Friday from Lewes people were getting on the train and standing right by the door so they could be the first off. Consequently the guard/old bill who were letting people on to the platform were thinking the carriage was full. We left and there were spare seats!!

100% agree with you about the first couple of games. It worked fine leaving people to their own devices. You don't have old bill on the tube platforms in the morning and people are sensible enough to know when a train is full.
OK Lewes station doesn't take more than 5 coaches but last wednesday they put on an 8 coach trin and told people getting off at Lewes to get into the first 5 coaches. This seemed to work - well I got off OK anyway. Any chance of a response from the train company??????

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
OK Lewes station doesn't take more than 5 coaches but last wednesday they put on an 8 coach trin and told people getting off at Lewes to get into the first 5 coaches. This seemed to work - well I got off OK anyway. Any chance of a response from the train company??????

I agree and carrying this forward, let's face it, we are going to be at Falmer for the foreseeable future (if not forever) so at least part of the answer is that the platforms at Falmer station need to be extended and that by agreement between Southern Rail and BHAFC. This would enable longer trains and a greater throughput of passengers/fans. Surely the club is already in discussion on this issue and which presumably the club would have to be financially involved.

To me, it is inconceivable that that Southern Rail (or whatever) would not wish to do something which would increase their revenue.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I agree and carrying this forward, let's face it, we are going to be at Falmer for the foreseeable future (if not forever) so at least part of the answer is that the platforms at Falmer station need to be extended and that by agreement between Southern Rail and BHAFC. This would enable longer trains and a greater throughput of passengers/fans. Surely the club is already in discussion on this issue and which presumably the club would have to be financially involved.

To me, it is inconceivable that that Southern Rail (or whatever) would not wish to do something which would increase their revenue.

What revenue ? According to most people on here they haven't bothered with travel vouchers costing a quid a game so why should Southern pay out for something when there is no dollars for them ?

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
What revenue ? According to most people on here they haven't bothered with travel vouchers costing a quid a game so why should Southern pay out for something when there is no dollars for them ?

Fair enough E but it does seem to me that there might be a solution (or at least part) solution to be sought.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Solutions cost money

Of course, but that should be a subject for negotiation between Southern Rail and BHAFC (if the club ever wish to develop the corners and upper East). If agreement can be reached, that could only be beneficial for the club in the long term.

Not at all disagreeing with you.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Of course, but that should be a subject for negotiation between Southern Rail and BHAFC (if the club ever wish to develop the corners and upper East). If agreement can be reached, that could only be beneficial for the club in the long term.

Not at all disagreeing with you.

Trouble is infrastructure is the domain of Network Rail not Southern, at present the line between Falmer and Brighton is running at capacity on match days. It isn't possible to run anymore trains or longer trains without it impacting on other services.

I think more use should be made of the buses especially the bendy buses and have them lined up to run a shuttle to and from the Old Steine stopping at St Peters only for people who want the station.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
There isn't.

and if this comes up again I may scream.

There really is. Leaves Brighton, stops at Falmer, picks up at Lewes, back to Falmer and so on. Unless theres always a half hourly train from Brighton terminating at Lewes?

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Trouble is infrastructure is the domain of Network Rail not Southern, at present the line between Falmer and Brighton is running at capacity on match days. It isn't possible to run anymore trains or longer trains without it impacting on other services.

I think more use should be made of the buses especially the bendy buses and have them lined up to run a shuttle to and from the Old Steine stopping at St Peters only for people who want the station.

I don't disagree but, for sure, something needs to be done to improve future match days !

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
The feedback on here from those in the know indicates there is little likelyhood of increasing train and bus capacity within the limitations of the local infrastructure and current resourcing. Without major investment - the costs of which would be astronomical and with limited financial return (30ish home games and other big events at the Amex p.a.) for the relevant commercial partners, assuming there is the will to do this (which is questionable) then it seems the only reasonable options would be:

1. Another one or two P&Rs - including maybe from the new training ground, once built? Assuming someone can find the necessary sites, buses and drivers as Lord B suggests they are scarcer than a very scarce thing.

2. More efficient use of existing trains and buses - so many reports on here of wasted space on trains.

3. A change in mindset by some (but not all) fans - there are delays getting away from most major events. Falmer has ok transport links but with a finite capacity. It will not get any easier if the capacity at the Amex increases to 30k ie another third more punters to shift at the end of the game.

4. Finally it still occurs to me that Tony Bloom and Martin Perry must have already given thought to the implications of increasing the capacity at The Amex and may have a master plan up their sleeves. I cannot see them having already spent extra dosh to build in the structures ready for this at the Amex if there isn't going to be a transport system capable of moving the extra punters. It would seem naive to submit a planning application with the current issues unresolved - or at least until these have been improved?

It is not rocket science to forsee the nimbys will have a field day and their main evidence 'against' an application for increased capacity will be copies of every negative post on NSC. Like most I wish for more immediate solutions but in the meantime we need to chill out a bit. I may get flamed for suggesting it is a minor miracle that we are able to get the majority of a 20k crowd safely away from the ground within an hour or so and to give the Club a bit of credit for acheiving this from scratch along with all of the other new challenges at the Amex, which has barely been fully operational for 2 months yet. In return I would like to see some positive indications from the Club and its partners that the transport situation is under review following the first capacity games.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
SHUTTLE BUSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats the answer.

P&R sites don't solve it because most that use the train, use it so they don't have to drive and faff around parking, its the volume of supporters from the town area that is clogging up the train.

We've got the R S P Football specials but thats it! Seems to me that if you had a shuttle bus going straight from say St.Peters Church or the Steine out to the Stadium it would take the heat off the train. Most buses go around the Steine, so connections would be good from other buses. It can't be that difficult to hire or get hold of about 7-10 Buses to do that shuttle. It could be called the C bus for City Centre or T for Town Bus. If you had them Parked at St.Peters, people could walk from the station, straight down Trafalgar street to the buses parked there (plenty of room on the East side of the church for a Bus or two extra in that area). It just gives another option to get back to the smae area as Brighton station and just might take some of the volume away. Thats what we need, more options to get away from the ground, especially in the evening.
Also it cant cost that much, and I'm sure no-one would mind the Travel voucher going up to £2 per game instead of £1.50 from next season to cover the cost.

Its a no brainer!!!

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Having said that, I think its just really the evening matches that are a problem, if you stay behind to have a beer then theres less problems, so I think its evening games (which we've had alot of) that are the cause. Loads of people travelling in half the time they would on a Saturday.

As I said, town shuttle buses is the answer.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Get there early. Leave late. Drink beer while you wait. That's my advice.

Me too. I've been perfectly happy with my travel experience for every game bar Friday where the train breakdown meant a rapid rethink. Still arrived in plenty of time though as I don't assume that it's realistic I drink in town until 45 minutes before kickoff when there are 20000+ people to shift.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I think a fair amount of the supposed problems with using the trains are caused by people having stupidly unrealistic expectations as to how quickly they will be able to get away, particularly after evening games.

There are a lot of people trying to use the service in both directions, it's going to take time (as is the case with any such event at any stadium/arena in the world) and your need to get home is no greater than anyone else's. Get used to it or make alternative arrangements and stop expecting the club/Southern Trains/whoever else to wipe your arse for you the whole time.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Also it cant cost that much, and I'm sure no-one would mind the Travel voucher going up to £2 per game instead of £1.50 from next season to cover the cost.

Its a no brainer!!!

Pah! I paid £30 x 3 for ours I will not pay £60 x 3 for this scam, next season, unless something is done I will join the 100's who travel from Lewes to Falmer and back for free

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here