Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trains to the AMEX

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
i can't imagine many people are on the 25 going away from town at half 2 or whatever on a saturday..........most of the students aren't up yet for a start, and the burden of lewes road is shared with other buses

Seriously, fans arent gonna go on a regular bus that stops every where. So coz you think students are in bed, you think there enough buses.
Same argument can be made about routes where we already have shuttles. But really 1 more shuttle route going straight from town will work.

For example for a Saturday game I come from Saltdean but I meet a mate in town, have a pint or two then get on the train to Falmer. If there were a Shuttle bus from the Town, I wouldn't get the train. Simples.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Ok thanks, thought there was only 1.

However these are normal bus services. On a Saturday they are packed with people not going to football and are not direct. They don't help take the pressure off the trains. Direct shuttle service, like the P R and S that we already have going straight from the AMEX to The town Centre.

I can't how much more of a direct route they could take and when they are full up they won't be stopping much on the way anyway. The problem with trying to lay on extra shuttle buses is that the additional buses are not that easy to come by.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Sigh. If only us non-Sussex folk could do that :down:

last train to london from brighton on weekdays is 23.37. gets you into london bridge at 00.52

on saturdays the last train to london leaves brighton at the same time

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I can't how much more of a direct route they could take and when they are full up they won't be stopping much on the way anyway. The problem with trying to lay on extra shuttle buses is that the additional buses are not that easy to come by.

They are, we aren't talking a fleet, just enought to have exactly the same shuttle bus service as P.R.S. buses. I dunno about 8 buses? I am no bus expert but when the Tunnel at Balcombe was out of action, they get loads of rail replacement buses from somewhere. Heck you can even rent a couple of buses for a granny day out to Rye easy enough.
Its not Impossible to do. We are only talking the same as the other 3 shuttle routes. Its definately easier than trying to convince the rail service to shuttle or to increase service and trains. I really cant believe that there isn't already a shuttle service from the town.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
The decision by Southern to run the ancient repainted always breaking down old overground trains on the east coast doesn't help.

There are only 12 of these coaches in their fleet and I'm guessing they can't be attached to the usual southern coaches as they are a different model, hence the collective sigh when a 3 carriage train rolls into falmer after the game.

The first couple of evening games it took me over 1.5 hours to get home to Seaford. The last few I've had to reluctantly leave 5 mins from ft to get the first train. Missed Barnes' penalty which was a shame but also missed Leeds equaliser which wasn't.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Ok thanks, thought there was only 1.

However these are normal bus services. On a Saturday they are packed with people not going to football and are not direct. They don't help take the pressure off the trains.

Two minutes earlier you were completely unaware of their existance. Now you've decided they are all full!

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Clearly the club could be doing more the alert people to the multitude of existing bus services before they need to lay on extra ones. To me part of the train problem is caused by a lack of communication.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The decision by Southern to run the ancient repainted always breaking down old overground trains on the east coast doesn't help.

There are only 12 of these coaches in their fleet and I'm guessing they can't be attached to the usual southern coaches as they are a different model, hence the collective sigh when a 3 carriage train rolls into falmer after the game.

The first couple of evening games it took me over 1.5 hours to get home to Seaford. The last few I've had to reluctantly leave 5 mins from ft to get the first train. Missed Barnes' penalty which was a shame but also missed Leeds equaliser which wasn't.

You forget that Southern do not have any say in what stock they use, that is a DFT decision and as for Southerns regular fare paying customers being inconvenienced for 20k of people wanting to travel a couple of times a month then you must be joking.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
This. How hard can it be to have a load of buses sitting at the bus stop by Falmer station waiting to take people back to Brighton?
Where are these buses and their drivers going to come from? Already they're bringing them in from Crawley/London way for the P&R services. As said before, we're in a different place now and when we've got 20K attendances you don't just turn up 5 minutes before kick-off or expect to be home straightaway - that's just the way it is.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I think a shuttle service to/from Hove station would be just as beneficial as one to Brighton station, and not just because that's where I live. It would take about the same time to get there and people wanting to catch onward Northbound and Westbound services could still do so. Overcrowding at Brighton seems to be a real problem so it would relieve that.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Two minutes earlier you were completely unaware of their existance. Now you've decided they are all full!

Ok I see that, lets say they aren't full then. So you're in town, having a pint in the area and off you go to football. So how you gonna get there?
Train? 3 stops
or
The Number 25 or whatever that has every blue rinse coming home from Marks's going up and around the sticks and houses before arriving at the game.

or (if they did it)

Take one of those direct buses at the bottom of the hill?

Feck me its not difficult is it? It seems some of you are just against the idea, for the sake of being against it.
If these buses that already service Falmer were working then we wouldn't have problems at the train station.
Shuttle bus, simple easy.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
They are, we aren't talking a fleet, just enought to have exactly the same shuttle bus service as P.R.S. buses. I dunno about 8 buses? I am no bus expert but when the Tunnel at Balcombe was out of action, they get loads of rail replacement buses from somewhere. Heck you can even rent a couple of buses for a granny day out to Rye easy enough.
Its not Impossible to do. We are only talking the same as the other 3 shuttle routes. Its definately easier than trying to convince the rail service to shuttle or to increase service and trains. I really cant believe that there isn't already a shuttle service from the town.

I'm only going on what has been said previously, by more informed sources than me, on here about additional buses being scarce.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Ok I see that, lets say they aren't full then. So you're in town, having a pint in the area and off you go to football. So how you gonna get there?
Train? 3 stops
or
The Number 25 or whatever that has every blue rinse coming home from Marks's going up and around the sticks and houses before arriving at the game.

or (if they did it)

Take one of those direct buses at the bottom of the hill?

Feck me its not difficult is it? It seems some of you are just against the idea, for the sake of being against it.
If these buses that already service Falmer were working then we wouldn't have problems at the train station.
Shuttle bus, simple easy.

I'm not against the idea at all. I think it's potentially a good solution, if the buses can be found. You just made me laugh that's all. Perhaps I should have put in a smiley? I just think that it makes sense to fully utilize what we already have already before forking out for extra services. No offence meant.

Last edited:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I'm not against the idea at all. I think it's a good one. You just made me laugh that's all. Perhaps I should have put in a smiley? I just think that it makes sense to fully utilize what we already have already before forking out for extra services. No offence meant.

None taken mate, thats why I said "I see that".

It just amazes me that it doesn't already happen.

Anyway, hopefully more people will realise thats the answer, i'm off this thread now.

We have what we have...the powers that be need to learn how to maximize throughput.
and fans must learn too. Move right down inside trains/along platforms and most of all be more patient (or get there early/leave late), too many with unrealistic expectations of how quick transport will be available.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Where are these buses and their drivers going to come from? Already they're bringing them in from Crawley/London way for the P&R services. As said before, we're in a different place now and when we've got 20K attendances you don't just turn up 5 minutes before kick-off or expect to be home straightaway - that's just the way it is.

Don't buy this argument in the slightest. The train companies were able to put on 70+ buses at very short notice on Friday when the trains went up the spout.

Also are you trying to tell me the club didn't know how many people would be using the P&R and how many buses they'd need?

There is no reason why the club couldn't lay on shuttle buses from the Old Stein or the some where around the Level and likewise from Lewes (Snowdrop maybe?? Prison??) other than a financial one.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
You forget that Southern do not have any say in what stock they use, that is a DFT decision and as for Southerns regular fare paying customers being inconvenienced for 20k of people wanting to travel a couple of times a month then you must be joking.

Really? Are you saying that the DFT can make a private company buy ancient rolling stock off the London Overground rather than buy brand new stock which would be compatible with 99% of their existing stock?!

Surely it can't be the train company being tight, its not as if they have a track record of buying shit.

*Cough - gatwick express*

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Really? Are you saying that the DFT can make a private company buy ancient rolling stock off the London Overground rather than buy brand new stock which would be compatible with 99% of their existing stock?!

Surely it can't be the train company being tight, its not as if they have a track record of buying shit.

*Cough - gatwick express*

You don't really know much so better not to comment than show ignorance

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here