Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trains in this country are a joke!

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
It won't be the trains that are the problem as they are diesel so it must be due to frozen points which is the responsibility of Network Rail, not the train operating company.
Due to inversion the temperature at or very near ground level can be a lot lower than you can feel at head level.

Was told that the power lines are frozen and a train is stuck at Upper Warlingham so nothing can get down.

Couldn't give a flying f*** if it's Southern, Network Rail or Mark Maghee's fault. It was recently reported that we have the most expensive trains in Europe. If we can't deal with temperatures slightly below freezing when the rest of the world can how can the train companies justify charging so much for a ticket? We're mugged in this country.

Regarding inversion, if it was that cold at ground level why isn't the ground frozen?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
We've stopped again. Just outside east croydon. No-one had better jump in front of the train or I'm going to pay for them to be resurrected just so I can kill them again.

I reckon I'll be at work at 10.30 at this rate. I've been up since 6.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
We've stopped again. Just outside east croydon. No-one had better jump in front of the train or I'm going to pay for them to be resurrected just so I can kill them again.

I reckon I'll be at work at 10.30 at this rate. I've been up since 6.
i was on the 547 from HH, didnt get to the office till 07.25, its a joke mate, its got so bad i am moving back to london in the next few months, are you still stuck on the train ?

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
i was on the 547 from HH, didnt get to the office till 07.25, its a joke mate, its got so bad i am moving back to london in the next few months, are you still stuck on the train ?

you want to be carfeul of the nappy throwers in London mate...

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Totally pathetic this morning. 0632 Gatwick Express cancelled, so got the 0640 which didn't get to Victoria until 0830. Aboslutely no sign of any nasty weather conditions, and the delays were apprently compounded by "congestion". How the hell did the line get congested if trains were being cancelled left right and centre?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Pathetic. I have been commuting from Brighton to London since 1987 and today has to go down as one of the most pathetic journeys of them all.

..when I think how much I've spent.......

Time for a change, methinks

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Exactly why I just bought a car!

There was a suspected fatality last Weds or Thurs, can't remember as its all the same, which is ok, actually I have every sympathy.

What I don't have sympathy for is the fact that they then cancelled 4 trains in a row, and each and every one of them went through Goring without stopping (obviously as they were cancelled) but they had people on them.

Why didn't they simply slow the whole service down, and stop at each stop just to keep people moving along the coast it wasn't as it they weren't going through Goring anyhow? It just seems sooooo illogical sometimes...

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Just got in to work after getting a cab from victoria to monument. The circle and district was apparently closed between earls court and whitechapel and people were being told to use the victoria line. Just crap.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
It gets worse and worse, years of underinvestment, and NOW, lots of damage after the bad weather of a few weeks back (according to the conductor the other day).

Instead of spending money on SHITE, like painting everything in f***ing sight green, why can southern and network rail sort this out together?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Exactly why I just bought a car!

There was a suspected fatality last Weds or Thurs, can't remember as its all the same, which is ok, actually I have every sympathy.

What I don't have sympathy for is the fact that they then cancelled 4 trains in a row, and each and every one of them went through Goring without stopping (obviously as they were cancelled) but they had people on them.

Why didn't they simply slow the whole service down, and stop at each stop just to keep people moving along the coast it wasn't as it they weren't going through Goring anyhow? It just seems sooooo illogical sometimes...

It's all about performance figure's tedebear, If a stopping service is running late they run it fast so it arrives at it's destination nearer to time. I'm affraid this is the age of a privatised railway and passenger needs are a long way down the list of priorities.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
50 years of under investment in the railways sums it all up.

this mormimg at haywards heath we were told that trains were cancelled owing to "adverse weather resulting in poor rail conditions"

We were shading our eyes from the sun at the time:lolol:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
3 hour journey this morning from Shoreham to Victoria, bad eggs all round.

Still at least I could work till my laptop conked out

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
It's all about performance figure's tedebear, If a stopping service is running late they run it fast so it arrives at it's destination nearer to time. I'm affraid this is the age of a privatised railway and passenger needs are a long way down the list of priorities.

Another thing to add to my list I'm building... how NOT to run a country...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Just got in to work after getting a cab from victoria to monument. The circle and district was apparently closed between earls court and whitechapel and people were being told to use the victoria line. Just crap.

Taxi ride was good tho. And you never did pinch my bum :(

Oh and Brett I have no probs with Oatway "helping" to be honest if we had some more people taking a left out of his book we may not be in the state we are now.

Tho this time round Thicky would have played him at left back or in goal.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I'm not quite sure I can believe this....

I just had a look at the southern website to see of things are okay now, and the following statement has been posted.

"We are sorry for the severe disruption to train services this morning....etc etc blah blah blah...

...We have plans in place for responding to weather forecasts that predict ice overnight and these were deployed.....

...Unfortunatley, on this occasion, they were not successful because overnight freezing rain disrupted the plans...

Uuuuum, so your plans were disrupted by the very thing that you were planning for?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here