Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train woes

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Finished my shift at 10, made it to Southwick at 22:30 hoping to catch the 22:35. The train rocks up casually at 23:27.

f***ing trains. Why don't they run shuttle services using platform 1 at Worthing and platform 3 at Hove as termini? Calling at all stations, the line would be relatively clear (no trains apart from my one was going towards Brighton and only 2 fast went towards Worthing from Southwick. If Brighton is packed, use Hove and maybe even Preston Park given that it has both sidings (i think?) AND three platforms. Both Hove and Preston Park are close enough to Brighton to be used as replacement termini. Heck even terminate longer distance such as the xx:29 from Portsmouth Harbour to Brighton at Hove, run it in to the sidings, wait for the Hove-Worthing shuttle to get to either Aldrington or Portslade then run it from the Sidings to platform 1 at hove, and let it leave for Portsmouth?

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I've been on a bumpy ride of emotions tonight.

1. Damn, it's going to take some time to get home.
2. Meh, might as well take a bit of time out in London, have something to eat, see if the trains sort themselves out.
3. Oh, Victoria station's still quite busy, don't know if I'll get on a train home any time soon.
4. Phew! A train leaving nearly on time.
5. No! Now they've redirected the train I was on and I have to catch another one.
6. Now I'm home after nearly four hours (although a lot of that was just having my tea).

Terribly dramatic, I'm sure you'll agree, but none of it brought me close to taking my own life. If I choose to work so far from my home I can't expect an easy journey every day.

Assuming the incident was intentional, that person was in a very dark place standing on the platform waiting for the approaching train. My thoughts are with the jumper as much as anyone.

This - i'd have waited that extra hour if it meant the person who jumped was still alive.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Extremely selfish if it is suicide, Not only does it cause these delays(nothing really compared to someone losing their life) but the train driver will have to live with running someone over and killing them.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Finished my shift at 10, made it to Southwick at 22:30 hoping to catch the 22:35. The train rocks up casually at 23:27.

f***ing trains. Why don't they run shuttle services using platform 1 at Worthing and platform 3 at Hove as termini? Calling at all stations, the line would be relatively clear (no trains apart from my one was going towards Brighton and only 2 fast went towards Worthing from Southwick. If Brighton is packed, use Hove and maybe even Preston Park given that it has both sidings (i think?) AND three platforms. Both Hove and Preston Park are close enough to Brighton to be used as replacement termini. Heck even terminate longer distance such as the xx:29 from Portsmouth Harbour to Brighton at Hove, run it in to the sidings, wait for the Hove-Worthing shuttle to get to either Aldrington or Portslade then run it from the Sidings to platform 1 at hove, and let it leave for Portsmouth?

You don't understand how a railway runs, not as simple as that

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Agreed i think they did a good job at victoria apart from when they advertised platform 13 for a brighton train. So you wait and wait abd then they announce on the tannoy its actually platform 19 cue mad dash and pandemonium from people rushing thru the gates accessing 15-19 and of course piling over from 13.

Dont say/advertise anything until ABSOLUTELY sure. And fill up trains already standing there even if it means waiting.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Also in all my years of doing the commute (getting on for nearly ten) its always always around the purley area. What is it about that part of the world. As soon as they said due to hit by train i thought "purley area' and sure enough it was.

Sandra who i used to work with (and lived in New Addington) said it was NOTORIOUS around there for suicides.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
On another level though 'Jumper' equates to 'Points Failure' or 'Leaves On The Line' or 'Lorry Hits Bridge' or 'Wrong Kind Of Snow'. Just one more hurdle to be overcome to get home.

You are indeed correct and I think most commuters have come to expect that delays are inevitable and don't kick up too much of a fuss. That said in last week alone I've been able to make 4 delay repay claims, 3 of them for being over 2 hours late. This is before we've had any real bad winter weather!! To be fair to Southern the delays were pretty much out of their control (2 jumpers, 2 fallen trees). What does get peoples goat is that is clearly the people that man the stations really haven't got a clue how to deal with these issues which is bloody frustrating as they seem to be happening more and more now. Last night was a prime example, we were locked out of London Bridge due to over crowding yet the only messages that were being relayed were directing people arriving that they could only exit via the downstairs exits.

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
There are some real FUCKTARDS that work on the railways. Take friday. It took me FIVE hours to ger to Leeds from LKX. Someone somewhere in their wisdom decided to move us onto the "slow" rail between Peterboro and Grantham. And the train after and the train after that.

HOWEVER there was a broken down frieght train on this slow line, so as a result of massive incompetence we were litetally stuck. Cant go forwards cant go back. Somebody, somewhere knew there was a broken down frieght train on that line yet STILL they were diverting trains to it.

FURTHERMOREthe poor guard was being given NO information so for literally TWO HOURS all he could say was "i have no idea when the broken down freight train will be moved they are sending a locomotive to move it away".

And as Melchett would say the "crowning turd in the water pipe" was that after about an hr trains were going up on the fast line!! So if you left an hr later you would have got there on time.

Utter UTTER *****.

Left KX at 2.30 arr Leeds 8pm (should have been 4.50)

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Vehicle hits bridge at Tonbridge. All trains out of Charing Cross delayed. Home late last night.

Trains cancelled this am from Hastings. Stood all the way from T Wells to London Bridge then had to change.

It's pretty typical and you learn to live with it if you commute - but doesn't make it any more tolerable.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
On my journey to Portslade, I managed to get the first Eastbourne train to Haywards Heath, where onward connections were non-existant. Mrs Fef drove from home to meet me at HH station, where we decided to make the most of the situation, and dine out in HH, as we couldn't get to the footie.

My thoughts are with the family and friends of the victim, with the driver of the train, and anyone who may have witnessed the event.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
On my journey to Portslade, I managed to get the first Eastbourne train to Haywards Heath, where onward connections were non-existant. Mrs Fef drove from home to meet me at HH station, where we decided to make the most of the situation, and dine out in HH, as we couldn't get to the footie.

My thoughts are with the family and friends of the victim, with the driver of the train, and anyone who may have witnessed the event.

Good move on your part. Services were moving on the Brighton and East Coast lines, but the West Coast was a complete fail. Plenty of extenuating circumstances, but still plenty of scope for improvement.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
There are some real FUCKTARDS that work on the railways.

100% this, not all of them I must add but you only need to look at the ones that man the stations and you can see that these characters wouldnt get a job any where else , almost like the railway employs certain types . One up from dribbling state.

The ones I have had dealings with that seem alright generally progress to the heady world of - on the train conducters.

Also to add the ticket sales staff seem alright as well

Its just the cretins manning the barriers and pushing brooms about that have the customer service skills of a mute

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here