Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train Guards

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Funiest experience I had was coming back from Carlisle v Brighton on the train.

I moved from a normal carriage to a quite one, and whilst I had turned my radio off I still had the headphones on.

Old bloke opposite me waited about half an hour and then asked me to turn my radio down because it was annoying people in the carriage.

Edward Scissorhands

Feb 20, 2005
Train guards are always pleasant enough, as are the people who occassionally appear to check tickets on stations. But the people working the automatic barriers, and the excess fares at Brighton and Hove are *****.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Virgo's Haircut said:
Ah right, well then I do have sympathy for you.

Not all guards are the same though. Yes I know some of my colleagues do take pleasure in making "chav" type peoples life hell if they step foot on a train. I must admit if I catch one of the little shits without a ticket, and I'm having a bad day, I do enjoy throwing them off at Southease.

Normally though I can't be bothered and just sit and read the paper.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they are all like that but some do seem to take it upon themselves to act like little hitlers.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Virgo's Haircut, do guards get a commission from the penalty fares they hand out? The way some of them act, they do. I've been stung a hundred quid for missing my train from Newcastle to London and getting the subsequent one, and twenty quid for buying a ticket from London to Brighton and then travelling on to London Road!

The trick, I've discovered, is to go to the ticket office first, explain you've missed your connection, and could they stamp your ticket please? Works a treat.

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Virgo's Haircut, do guards get a commission from the penalty fares they hand out? The way some of them act, they do. I've been stung a hundred quid for missing my train from Newcastle to London and getting the subsequent one, and twenty quid for buying a ticket from London to Brighton and then travelling on to London Road!

The trick, I've discovered, is to go to the ticket office first, explain you've missed your connection, and could they stamp your ticket please? Works a treat.

Guard/Conductors DO NOT issue penalty fares. We only issue normal tickets, and we get a very small commision on that.

Revenue guys do the PF's

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Virgo's Haircut said:
Guard/Conductors DO NOT issue penalty fares. We only issue normal tickets, and we get a very small commision on that.

Revenue guys do the PF's

Do they get commision.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
The price of a ticket from London to Brighton is exactly the same as from London to London Road so if you had asked to pay the excess there wouldn't have been any.

Therefore they shouldn't have fined you.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Les Biehn said:
Do they get commision.

They must do else they'd just stand around all day chatting.

That said, if everyone did buy tickets there would be no commission to earn.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
If you have bought a ticket for a specific train in or out of London and you miss it due to a connecting train being delayed through no fault of your own are you not allowed to travel without buying another ticket (on the day at inflated prices)??

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Come on Ernest defend your honour.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I saw a confused OAP who had got the wrong train fined £50 or something (having to bump his fair up) on a trip away once.

Of course the revenue collectors are only doing what they are told, but I felt like punching the bloke.

What really annoys me is that on a busy sunny saturday, I have to make sure I'm at Victoria a good twenty minutes to buy my ticket to Brighton having experienced the chaos when the ticket machines break down.

Now that is a disgrace.

But I'm lost count of the times I havent paid for a ticket up from Sussex to London because either the ticket office is closed, there is no-one available on the train to buy a ticket from or the guard has apologised but his machine has broken down.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
A Southern Guard charged an upgrade to a heavily pregnant lady for sitting if 1st class the other day :eek:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Beach Hut said:
A Southern Guard charged an upgrade to a heavily pregnant lady for sitting if 1st class the other day :eek:

Will she get her money back, how did you hear about it ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
clapham_gull said:
Will she get her money back, how did you hear about it ?

Don't know, saw it happening as I was in 1st class.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Les Biehn said:
What's their f***ing problem. I met a couple of nice ones but in general they are a bunch of petty, bureacratic, sadistic, power mad xxxxx. I was travelling back from Sheffield today but due to a traffic jam I missed my train so jumped on the next one. This Arse piece with a badge took upon himself to talk to me like a piece of shit and charge me an extra 46 quid. That was nice of him wasn't it. :censored: :censored: :censored: :angry: :angry: :angry: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Your an idiot for paying extra.There is no way i would of coughed up anymore

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I love being on a train, sometime I wonder if I am in the wrong job.

Can't understand why anyone would bother getting in car when I can sit there reading a book and taking a p*ss at my leisure (although I understand some car drivers do the same)

There have been some great improvements as well, the Hastings to London line has some very nice comfortable trains now,

.. Too damn expensive that's the problem.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
clapham_gull said:
.. Too damn expensive that's the problem.

Wouldn't know, previously worked for the awful company called British Rail prior to privatisation

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here