Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train fares...WTF?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The system is a joke. Had to go to Liverpool a lot last year. Splitting the journey a Brighton-Euston and Euston-Liverpool halved the price. And we're not talking about a small amount - an £80+ saving. This was for using exactly the same trains.. It's nonsensical.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
It's because rail travel in this country is an absolute JOKE.

I recently went on a trip around the Balkans, travelling by train, and the difference in price between what we pay and what the rest of Europe considers normal is shocking.

For example, you can get the Balkan Express between Belgrade and Istanbul, a journey that takes over 24 hours, covers over 500 miles and includes your bed for the night in a shared compartment for €60 standard (considerably less with concessions).

That much money wouldn't even get you to Bristol on our rip off British trains (anytime single £84.50). A journey that takes under two hours from London, covering approximately 100 miles.

Now I appreciate this is an extreme example, using an outdated rail network run by state controlled operators who subsidise the services through some very poor countries (Serbia and Bulgaria) but even still, the difference is astonishing.

If I want to travel long distance in the UK, I'm better off getting a flight. Getting from Brighton to Edinburgh would cost me £205 on an overnight train (journey time 9 hours 27 minutes).

Easyjet will get you from Gatwick to Edinburgh for £18.99 (journey time 1 hour 25 minutes).

Even if you hate Easyjet, it's a no brainer. Who in their right mind would pay more than ten times more for a journey that takes over eight times as long?

Pound for pound, mile for mile, we pay MORE for train travel than anyone else in the world. Granted we have a fairly extensive network, when compared to a lot of countries, but even those with better networks than us (France, Germany, Spain etc.) don't charge anywhere near as much as the private companies running Britain's railways do.

And don't get me started on the entirely nonsensical, baffling ticketing system that seems to fluctuate considerably by the minute.

We're being taken for mugs, as usual

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
No afternoon peak from Victoria either at least not on Oyster. Don't know why they structure it differently coming out than going in but it's not a peak/non-peak issue.

Oyster is just for greater london travel so im afraid for further afield journeys the peak applies.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
It's because they are money grabbing BASTARDS, and presumably they think Londoners either won't notice, or are all too rich to care.

Must be annoying for London based Albion fans, knowing you'll pay several quid more every time you come down for a game than the rest of us do every time we come up to the smoke for a match.

It's supply and demand, a day return from B Hill to Victoria at 8am costs twice as much as a day return from Victoria to B Hill at the same time.

I hope you investigate your cases more thoroughly than you have this, no wonder there are so many miscarriages of justice

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I hope you investigate your cases more thoroughly than you have this, no wonder there are so many miscarriages of justice

This is a bit rich coming from someone who works for an industry which has put profits before safety and lives.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's supply and demand, a day return from B Hill to Victoria at 8am costs twice as much as a day return from Victoria to B Hill at the same time.

And what about the cases where it cheaper to buy two seperate tickets for exactly the same trains instead of a single one?

Supply and demand? Or morons without joined up thinking running our rail system?

The system is a joke. Had to go to Liverpool a lot last year. Splitting the journey a Brighton-Euston and Euston-Liverpool halved the price. And we're not talking about a small amount - an £80+ saving. This was for using exactly the same trains.. It's nonsensical.

Masses of tips here (splitting is just one of them). e.g. did you know Tesco Clubcard vouchers can be worth 3x their value when used to buy tickets?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
And what about the cases where it cheaper to buy two seperate tickets for exactly the same trains instead of a single one?

Supply and demand? Or morons without joined up thinking running our rail system?

You mistake the fragrant Ednas original post, she wanted to know why such a difference in fares, as for cheap tickets anyone with an ounce of intelligence can work out savings such as how to save 40% on a standard day return from the coast to London in peak times.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You mistake the fragrant Ednas original post, she wanted to know why such a difference in fares, as for cheap tickets anyone with an ounce of intelligence can work out savings such as how to save 40% on a standard day return from the coast to London in peak times.

I gave you a scenario and asked a question (one already raised by another baffled poster.) The clue was the question mark after "supply and demand."

What is the reason for the scanario I gave? Is it supply and demand? Or..........

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Masses of tips here (splitting is just one of them). e.g. did you know Tesco Clubcard vouchers can be worth 3x their value when used to buy tickets?

FFS. What is all this crap? Why can't I just buy a friggin rail ticket? Why do I need a to have a Phd in mathematics, know a heap of tips AND a f***ing Tesco Clubcard to get the lowest price?

I got the shitting Spanish inquisition last night and all I asked for was a day return to South Bermonsey.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I gave you a scenario and asked a question (one already raised by another baffled poster.) The clue was the question mark after "supply and demand."

What is the reason for the scanario I gave? Is it supply and demand? Or..........

A train from B Hill to London at 8am is a lot fuller than a train from London to B Hill at the same time and the opposite applies at 5pm, Dame Edna quoted the £13.40 fare which is super off peak and is a train filler for when it's quiet so it's not applicable to her case as the standard singles are pretty much the same fare whichever direction you travel.

So of course it is supply and demand, why do bars have happy hours ? Why do planes have myriads of different fares for the same journeys ? Not just trains operate in this way. It is a case of a high basic fare to discourage travel when it's busy (according to the DFT) and promos when it is quiet to fill trains, no different from air travel or any other business.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Blame the government and the DFT they set the fare structure

Do they decide that Gatwick is not far enough away to return from?

Tomnorthi

Jan 2, 2010
BN15
To be honest, the only time decent prices can be had is when Southern or other train companies run promotions. Buying a complelty normal ticket, (outside of advances) you are bound to be ripped off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here