Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train farce

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
The voucher excuse is nothing but a smokescreen for a massive cockup tonight. When a voucher is sold, how can the club or Southern know if it is going to be used for train, bus or park & ride? Not everyone who uses the train buys a voucher anyway - I don't mean those who bunk their fare either. Most who travel by train from the East don't bother with vouchers as its cheaper to buy a ticket straight to Falmer as the travel zone only starts from Lewes.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They go by the numbers told them by the club so cater for that, so the club would base the numbers on the numbers of vouchers sold

Rubbish. The club cannot base it on vouchers sold as a) not all vouchers will be used on the railway and b) it is known only a fraction of rail users have vouchers. Either you're talking out of your arse or the people running the trains are even more f***ing stupid than we already think they are.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
How could they base it on vouchers anyway, are people still buying these? Are the club still selling them even?
There's two home games left, they know how many people get the f***ing train, and to blame it on people not buying vouchers... well, if you want to have a pop at people for doing that, go for it, but to suggest Southern haven't been paid, that's not true, is it?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
It was a total shambles tonight. I'd say verging on disgraceful.

1st train leaving half empty
2nd train didn't stop and was empty
3rd train only 3 carriages
4th train finally gets us to Brighton
When we got to Brighton, they let the fast service to London go as I pulled in to Brighton

When I spoke to the station staff, they told me it was driver error that the train didn't stop at Falmer. Unbelievable. Ended up getting the 10.33 LB train from Brighton.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing

When we got to Brighton, they let the fast service to London go as I pulled in to Brighton

When I spoke to the station staff, they told me it was driver error that the train didn't stop at Falmer. Unbelievable. Ended up getting the 10.33 LB train from Brighton.

That driver should be strung up by the balls & made to watch Palace.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Thanks to Southern, it's now 1225 and I'm still and hour and 15 minutes from home. Should be home by now.

Hope the driver of the 2145 loses his or her job.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
The driver should be forced to stand on a platoform while trains whizz past.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Thanks to Southern, it's now 1225 and I'm still and hour and 15 minutes from home. Should be home by now.

Hope the driver of the 2145 loses his or her job.

Wouldnt lose their job over it, but if they have "forgot" to stop they will get a monumental bollocking. Wouldnt surprise me if there is a reason behind it not stopping, which obviously wasnt said.

Tomnorthi

Jan 2, 2010
BN15
When I left at about half 10, they were holding people back when the the last two carriages (of eight) were empty. Absolute joke.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I don't normally get there in time, so I don't know what it's usually like, but when I have got there in time on a couple of occasions I have noticed that the first train has left half empty.

If that's what it's usually like it's absolutely retarded.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
When I left at about half 10, they were holding people back when the the last two carriages (of eight) were empty. Absolute joke.
That always happens, obviously it was even more annoying than usual tonight. Can't be that hard for the popo or the driver or something to tell people to move down through the carriage.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I think the reason the first train left half empty was because Southern Rail insisted it leave so that it left on time, but then you consider that the next train didn't stop and the one after that was only 3 carriages, then is it any wonder people were furious. It seems to me that Southern cannot seem to react effectively when they hit problems. It looks very much like the arse doesn't know what the elbow is doing.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
was very shite tonite heading west, worse than i can remember.
did make me laugh catching the 7.15ish train from bton to falmer, same old story of loads of room further down the carriages, but not letting anyone else on. i asked one of the platform guys if he could ask people to move further down the carraige so we could get on, to which i recieved a bit of a rude reply, meaning "f*** off, no chance, do it yourself". luckily, a lovely young WPC came along and did the job, saving me the bother, and probably got another 100 or so fans to the game in decent time....

They go by the numbers told them by the club so cater for that, so the club would base the numbers on the numbers of vouchers sold
This makes no sense whatsoever. How the hell do the Club have any idea how many of the vouchers sold have been bought by people who intend to travel by train (as opposed to bus or p&r)?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Got the bus and raced back into Brighton. Got off, walked up to the station and was comfortably on the 10.19 that rocketed to Scumdon, before changing platform to the London Bridge service. Bought myself a pizza in M&S where, annoyingly, i left my book, having to run back for it when i noticed some 7 minutes later. Still, another dose of fortune was in some drunken tardorino having trouble counting out the change to use on the bus from there, so whilst it looked like it was ready to go before i made it to the doors, it in fact wasn't until this thicko got his coinage correct. Home by 11.55 in gloomy Dalston. Not bad.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Westbound train went straight through Falmer station at 9.45.
WTF happened? I assume it was supposed to stop, but driver didn't realise. Whatever happened, idiots.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

I had exactly the same experience.

Eventually got on that 2207 train from Falmer, which got in to Brighton at 2218. The fast train to London is scheduled to leave at 2219 - and just started pulling out as I was running round that ridiculous barrier to get to the right platform.

Why they couldn't have held that train for two minutes when another train, absolutely rammed with hundreds of passengers, had just pulled in, is anyone's guess. They must have known about the problems at Falmer and realised there would be people desperate to catch it. All it needed was a bit of common sense. What a bunch of morons.

I imagine there must have been a lot of Reading fans left in the lurch. The 2233 gets in (to London Bridge rather than Victoria) 35 minutes later. In fact, tonight it was over 20 minutes late arriving, almost missing connections with the last tube.

So all in all, a miserable journey after a miserable result. Even the Chinese had closed by the time I got back to my 'hood, meaning I missed my traditional post-match special fried rice with sweet and sour sauce. Southern, you have a lot to answer for.

cheesy77

Feb 18, 2009
Yeah I echo all these comments. That was an absolute joke tonight. Total shambles.
After that 3 coach train had left we were all informed that the next one would be 3 coach too, so they didn't let anybody else on the platform. Then an 8 coach rolls in and they spend 5 minutes letting more people on, meaning the train was delayed and several people including me missed the fast service to Victoria by 30 seconds. When I suggested that the station worker could have stalled the train by a couple of minutes to allow others to get on I was met with a sarcastic comment and smirk. Wish I'd given him a slap, the p*ick. Why do most people who work in customer service seem to be complete morons and inconsiderate a*seholes. I've seen that tosser before patrolling around Brighton station in his high vis thinking he's god's gift. Well you're not, you're a total bell end!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Yeah I echo all these comments. That was an absolute joke tonight. Total shambles.
After that 3 coach train had left we were all informed that the next one would be 3 coach too, so they didn't let anybody else on the platform. Then an 8 coach rolls in and they spend 5 minutes letting more people on, meaning the train was delayed and several people including me missed the fast service to Victoria by 30 seconds. When I suggested that the station worker could have stalled the train by a couple of minutes to allow others to get on I was met with a sarcastic comment and smirk. Wish I'd given him a slap, the p*ick. Why do most people who work in customer service seem to be complete morons and inconsiderate a*seholes. I've seen that tosser before patrolling around Brighton station in his high vis thinking he's god's gift. Well you're not, you're a total bell end!

Think I might send them a polite email asking them why they couldn't hold that train - especially given the fact that we were delayed because of THEIR cock up in the first place. Twats.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here