Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train disruption tomorrow as well

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Quite correct but the system is rotten from the top downwards

More importantly Rail Guru, what is happening train wise tomorrow as have to get to London for a few hours

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
The rail system in this country is a total and utter shambles. It's an embarrassment. Yesterday was a sorry series of delayed and cancelled trains, untrained staff with no helpful information and a general feeling that I was an inconvenience to them for daring to use their service. Few staff seemed to be on my side and one idiot at Gatwick airport was totally obstructive and totally unwilling/unable to use common sense and make some simple common sense decisions given the circumstances.

They have you over a barrel and they know it.
There did seem to be a nature of employing jobsoworths in the rail network. The guy that works in Hove station at the ticket barrier is case in point.

But on the flip side there are some lovely people (like the short dumpy woman at Hove station, or the woman with the dog at Seaford or Virgo's Haircut).

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
The rail system in this country is a total and utter shambles. It's an embarrassment. Yesterday was a sorry series of delayed and cancelled trains, untrained staff with no helpful information and a general feeling that I was an inconvenience to them for daring to use their service. Few staff seemed to be on my side and one idiot at Gatwick airport was totally obstructive and totally unwilling/unable to use common sense and make some simple common sense decisions given the circumstances.

If I delivered the level of customer service in my job that I've observed and experienced from some Southern staff over the last couple of days, I'd be sacked.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
f***ed dear boy, same emergency timetable by the look of it

Double bollox then, need to get in so maybe a long day although coming back from Victoria was pretty straight forward last night

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Double bollox then, need to get in so maybe a long day although coming back from Victoria was pretty straight forward last night

How did you get back? We caught a train at around 11pm which was going to Brighton but via Littlehampton. We jumped off at Gatwick and got a taxi in the end. I'd lost all confidence in their ability to deliver on their promise by this point.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
How did you get back? We caught a train at around 11pm which was going to Brighton but via Littlehampton. We jumped off at Gatwick and got a taxi in the end. I'd lost all confidence in their ability to deliver on their promise by this point.

Gatwick Express then there was a Brighton train waiting to go stopping all stations

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Cheers, would appreciate any good news !

Is there a chance that this won't be sorted by Boxing Day? If the trains aren't running from East Croydon to Brighton on Wednesday evening I'm screwed. Even at Christmas, I can't imagine hitch-hiking is any easier than it was when I gave it up 25 years ago ...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Is there a chance that this won't be sorted by Boxing Day? If the trains aren't running from East Croydon to Brighton on Wednesday evening I'm screwed. Even at Christmas, I can't imagine hitch-hiking is any easier than it was when I gave it up 25 years ago ...

No idea mate, Ernest is the man with the inside knowledge however I would have thought so as in effect the service shuts down around 21:00 hrs Xmas Eve so there is 36 hours to Boxing Day to get it fixed and some serious overtime to be earned as well !

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Looks like we're gonna swerve the King George on Boxing Day with all this disruption and the tube strike :(

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Boxing Day will be fine even if things aren't sorted, there is only an hourly service scheduled so the signalling problems won't affect that at all. Way the rain is going might not get any racing anyway

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Big cheers to the huge gang of trackside workers doing their best to sort things out at both ends of Preston Park station this morning :clap2:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

same scenario .

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Big cheers to the huge gang of trackside workers doing their best to sort things out at both ends of Preston Park station this morning :clap2:

It is worth noting this was a very out of the ordinary incident that was clearly extremely serious given the level of disruption and the amount of people now working on the site to repair all the damage.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

That's what I hate most about the rail system.

"We apologise for the delays and any inconvenience this may have caused you, but thank you for travelling with Southern today" Don't bloody thank me, I don't actually have any choice but to travel with Southern. If I did, I probably wouldn't

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It is worth noting this was a very out of the ordinary incident that was clearly extremely serious given the level of disruption and the amount of people now working on the site to repair all the damage.

For sure. Its obviously a very major incident, and though its always going to be the easy cheap shot to have a pop, there's patently a helluva lot of people working flat out round the clock to get things up and running again. All credit to them.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That's what I hate most about the rail system.

"We apologise for the delays and any inconvenience this may have caused you, but thank you for travelling with Southern today" Don't bloody thank me, I don't actually have any choice but to travel with Southern. If I did, I probably wouldn't

If only because they have proper trains, much prefer Southern to the other lot. Not 100% sure what Thameslink are called these days, according to the station announcement its seems to be FirstCapitalConnectAreSorryToAnnounce

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here