Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train Alert - All over the place

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Take yesterday as an example. My southern train pulls into Redhill at 19:10, and the Great Western leaves from Redhill to Reigate at 19:13. Can you guess what happens nowadays that didn't used to happen, if the first train is running FOUR minutes late?

Just to play devils advocate for a second...

Southern do that with their own services. The train coming from Lewes arrives at Brighton 3 minuites before the West Coast service leaves, add to that they shut the doors 30 seconds before the train leaves thats only 2.5 mins to get accross Brighton. Thats ok if the first train is ontime for someone who can run from one side to the other (quite often there is a London train arriving at the same time so you get caught up with all the people geting off that at the barriers) but what about people who aren't able to run?

I don't think that nationalising the trains would change things like this.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This is all waffle.

i see. so no debate then, no probing for deeper understanding, just dismal of any other point of view.

for what its worth i think privatisation is rather pointless in natural monopolies such as rail. however the investment (such as there is) is taken off the national balance sheet. the profits that are so deplored are replacment for bond costs if you kept it nationalised and made the same investment. you're concerned that you miss the train because it isnt held for a late running service, but im sure they'd be complaining on the 19:13 because it was now running late. cant please everyone (it does happen, at least on Southern)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It shouldn't be beyond the wit of man to fit an attachment to the front of every train which cleans any fallen leaves.

Think of the health & safety risk that would pose to jumpers though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Just to play devils advocate for a second...

Southern do that with their own services. The train coming from Lewes arrives at Brighton 3 minuites before the West Coast service leaves, add to that they shut the doors 30 seconds before the train leaves thats only 2.5 mins to get accross Brighton. Thats ok if the first train is ontime for someone who can run from one side to the other (quite often there is a London train arriving at the same time so you get caught up with all the people geting off that at the barriers) but what about people who aren't able to run?

I don't think that nationalising the trains would change things like this.
It absolutely would. Trains were frequently held back by a minute or two if it made sense with the connections back 90s. Nowadays there is nothing in it for the company running the waiting train to hold on, so they don't. They have arrival-time targets to meet, and that's the end of it. No matter that anyone on the late train needing their connection will now have to wait another half an hour for the next one.

It is a shambles.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
i see. so no debate then, no probing for deeper understanding, just dismal of any other point of view.
Correct. There is nothing to debate. The current situation is dire.

for what its worth i think privatisation is rather pointless in natural monopolies such as rail. however the investment (such as there is) is taken off the national balance sheet. the profits that are so deplored are replacment for bond costs if you kept it nationalised and made the same investment.
Ah so you do get it. Which begs the question, why did you start off with asking some nonsense about reducing costs? Hardly the big picture, was it?

you're concerned that you miss the train because it isnt held for a late running service, but im sure they'd be complaining on the 19:13 because it was now running late. cant please everyone (it does happen, at least on Southern)
Yes, there is a natural cut off. I very much doubt you'd get too many people on the 19:13 moaning if they left at 19:16 to be honest. Of course they probably would if it left at 19:23, but that's not the scenario I outlined. Yesterday's first train was literally FOUR minutes late, pulling in at 19:14. The Great Western was on the platform when we pulled in, but had gone by the time the Reigate posse had crossed platforms.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Yes, there is a natural cut off. I very much doubt you'd get too many people on the 19:13 moaning if they left at 19:16 to be honest. Of course they probably would if it left at 19:23, but that's not the scenario I outlined. Yesterday's first train was literally FOUR minutes late, pulling in at 19:14. The Great Western was on the platform when we pulled in, but had gone by the time the Reigate posse had crossed platforms.
Move to redhill, problem solved :lolol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Ah so you do get it. Which begs the question, why did you start off with asking some nonsense about reducing costs? Hardly the big picture, was it?

er... because you drew attention to the cost of travel, and i dont believe a knee-jerk "nationalise it!" is a solution. recall that the rail network was originally build by private companies, what happened to make it so costly?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Move to redhill, problem solved :lolol:
:lolol: I do actually CYCLE to Redhill station usually, largely to avoid the scenario I was talking about. Yesterday however, I had driven the car to a garage in Leatherhead in the morning, and gone to work from there, so my bike was back at home. Typical!

er... because you drew attention to the cost of travel, and i dont believe a knee-jerk "nationalise it!" is a solution. recall that the rail network was originally build by private companies, what happened to make it so costly?
Well I doubt having shareholder dividends to worry about actually helps in any way.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Yes, there is a natural cut off. I very much doubt you'd get too many people on the 19:13 moaning if they left at 19:16 to be honest

But what if they have a connection at the other end that is just 3 minutes away from the due arrival time of the 19:13? Will the train at that end be held for another few minutes? It would be a chain reaction and leading to more delays across the whole network wouldn't it?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But what if they have a connection at the other end that is just 3 minutes away from the due arrival time of the 19:13? Will the train at that end be held for another few minutes? It would be a chain reaction and leading to more delays across the whole network wouldn't it?
I knew someone would say that. :lolol:

My assumption would be that the train timetable is built with a certain degree of flexibility, such that a minute or two can be recovered over an hour's journey if required.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I knew someone would say that. :lolol:

My assumption would be that the train timetable is built with a certain degree of flexibility, such that a minute or two can be recovered over an hour's journey if required.

Yeah I see what you mean, but as said earlier in the thread, you're not going to be able to please everyone, no matter what system is in place - some people will always end up getting pissed off!

1. The private companies ran into financial difficulties;
2. The government realised how important the rail network was to the well-being and economy of the nation;
3. The government forced the private companies to reorganise themselves;
4. The re-organised private companies still had financial difficulties;
5. The government realised again how important the rail network was to the well-being and economy of the nation;
6. The government nationalised the private companies;
7. The nationalised railway still had financial difficulties;
8. The government realised how important private wealth creation opportunities were to the well-being of entrepreneurs;
9. The government privatised the railways, and paid much more subsidy than ever before, even though fares went up;
10. The entrepreneurs laughed all the way to the bank;
11. The government forgot that the point of the railways was the well-being and economy of the nation.

12. What happens next?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
1. The private companies ran into financial difficulties;
2. The government realised how important the rail network was to the well-being and economy of the nation;
3. The government forced the private companies to reorganise themselves;
4. The re-organised private companies still had financial difficulties;
5. The government realised again how important the rail network was to the well-being and economy of the nation;
6. The government nationalised the private companies;
7. The nationalised railway still had financial difficulties;
8. The government realised how important private wealth creation opportunities were to the well-being of entrepreneurs;
9. The government privatised the railways, and paid much more subsidy than ever before, even though fares went up;
10. The entrepreneurs laughed all the way to the bank;
11. The government forgot that the point of the railways was the well-being and economy of the nation.

12. What happens next?
Weren't you once a transport bigwig LB ?

Surely if trains are dalayed by 60 minutes you will still catch the train on time and get to your destination on time
Why not turn the clocks back an hour and let everything catch up?

Blimey! I've just heard that they're going to do this on Sunday. Everything will be fine and dandy on Monday morning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here