Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train Alert - All over the place

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Train waited for an hour at Redhill, clock said 1.45 AM when we finally got back to Brighton :facepalm:.
EDIT: it was in reality 2.45 as the clocks had already gone back.

Last edited:

i see. so no debate then, no probing for deeper understanding, just dismal of any other point of view.

for what its worth i think privatisation is rather pointless in natural monopolies such as rail. however the investment (such as there is) is taken off the national balance sheet. the profits that are so deplored are replacment for bond costs if you kept it nationalised and made the same investment. you're concerned that you miss the train because it isnt held for a late running service, but im sure they'd be complaining on the 19:13 because it was now running late. cant please everyone (it does happen, at least on Southern)

I don't think the investment is taken off the national balance sheet. The private train companies are subsidised by the state!

Factcheck: Does the taxpayer subsidise the rail network more now than it did when it was nationalised? | Full Fact

1. The private companies ran into financial difficulties;
2. The government realised how important the rail network was to the well-being and economy of the nation;
3. The government forced the private companies to reorganise themselves;
4. The re-organised private companies still had financial difficulties;
5. The government realised again how important the rail network was to the well-being and economy of the nation;
6. The government nationalised the private companies;
7. The nationalised railway still had financial difficulties;
8. The government realised how important private wealth creation opportunities were to the well-being of entrepreneurs;
9. The government privatised the railways, and paid much more subsidy than ever before, even though fares went up;
10. The entrepreneurs laughed all the way to the bank;
11. The government forgot that the point of the railways was the well-being and economy of the nation.

12. What happens next?

The history of the ownership of UK railways in a nutshell - brilliant M'Lord!

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Maybe blame the organisers of the run since engineering work is (generally) planned over a year in advance (read it on here around the same time fixtures came out, may or may not be right).

The Great South Run has been run on the last weekend in October for 22 years..... not the organisers fault.

In fact entry was already open yesterday for the same weekend next year.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Train waited for an hour at Redhill, clock said 1.45 AM when we finally got back to Brighton :facepalm:.
EDIT: it was in reality 2.45 as the clocks had already gone back.

Was overnight work at Gatwick I think, probably why it took ages.

The Great South Run has been run on the last weekend in October for 22 years..... not the organisers fault.

In fact entry was already open yesterday for the same weekend next year.

Perhaps it urgently needed doing then ?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
No it was a power failure at Gatwick presumably because our money doesn't go to upgrade their shitty infrastructure but to line the pockets of the shareholders instead.

I'd like to know how that one works seeing as how Network Rail are responsible for all the track and signalling etc and they dont have any shareholders to line the pockets of.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here