[Food] Traditional fish n chips

Cod or Haddock

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I grew up within the "Haddock Triangle"* of West Yorkshire, but it's Cod for me.

* and the "Rhubarb Triangle" too, but I don't much like that either...

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Unashamed plug for my local, Patcham Fish & chips, Ladies Mile Road, Patcham:

Haddock only comes in one size - large. For £8.40, you get TWO good size haddock, freshly cooked.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Haddock only comes in one size - large. For £8.40, you get TWO good size haddock, freshly cooked.

£8.40 for 2 seems very reasonable. How much are chips?

My local had a special offer for just 6 pounds the other day. At least that's what I thought but all they gave me was an unwell cephalopod.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

I remember that chippy when it was called ‘The Captain’s Cabin’ portion of chips 15p

On Friday i shall partake in a ‘Bankers’ Hangleton on the way home, Jumbo Battered Sausage for me though

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Sausage - don't eat fish!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Proper fish and chips is one thing I really miss since I left the UK. The 'attempts' at it here are just not the same 😞 wrong fish, not proper chips, only fries etc

Wrong oil as well. Spanish food is my favourite on earth but please don't allow them to make chips or scrambled eggs.

The second thing is very Spanish (served with veg) but a completely disaster.

They could EASILY do it with hake and some vegetable oil and it would be very popular even with the locals.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
£8.40 for 2 seems very reasonable. How much are chips?

My local had a special offer for just 6 pounds the other day. At least that's what I thought but all they gave me was an unwell cephalopod.
Chips are £3 or £4. The large portion is too large for one person, but is ideal for two sharing the haddock.

What was the cephalopod? Was it dead?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I've had fish and chips twice this summer at The Ark in Newhaven. Both times they've nipped next door to Bickerstaff's and come back with fresh haddock from their counter, which they've then cooked beautifully – and surprisingly quickly – in a very nice batter, with decent chips and a little bit of salad. Pint of Harveys to go with it and there you have a very pleasant Friday lunchtime.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here