[Food] Traditional fish n chips

Cod or Haddock

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Those who prefer cod to haddock, may wish to look away now.

I think it's correct. I used to lodge with a woman from Hull, and she said the same thing.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
As my go-to local chippy, the Model Fish Fryer in Preston Drove, seems to be permanently closed I've got to give a big shout-out to J & E Fish Bar, aka 'The chippy in The Dip'. Absolutely excellent. Quite slow service though if you just turn up, so I've taken to ordering in advance.

And on a sad note, as a treat when the kids were young we always used to enjoy a visit to the Fish and Chip restaurant on the Palace Pier. It was obviously always a bit pricey, but the quality was excellent and the quantities were fine. And it was all served on china plates.

Haven't been for about five years, but when we went a few months ago it was absolutely appalling. Poorly-cooked, tiny portions served on paper plates. Even my grandson's chicken nuggets were vile. Avoid.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Those who prefer cod to haddock, may wish to look away now.

I think it's correct. I used to lodge with a woman from Hull, and she said the same thing.

Mullet are the bottom feeders, cod and haddock feed anywhere. I suspect the people who say this are northerners trying to justify their strange tastes in fish. I've even been served whiting as a fish supper north of the border.

Although I may be partial to the occasional Arbroath Smokie :wink:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That's also known as dogfish you know, despite what a chippy owner (Dennis the Greek) told me late one night some 45 years ago.
Formerly sold as Rock Salmon. For some reason it was decreed that it should no longer be known as rock salmon, I think because it's technically (well. actually) not salmon at all, and fell foul of the trades description/sale of goods act(s) or whatever.
Widely attributed to the EEC/EU/'Brussels' - but that may be urban myth.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I once went into a cafe up the hill in Hastings and asked for fish and chips.

When it came, it was a small portion of frozen fish in batter. In Hastings. The site of the biggest beach fishing fleet in Europe.

Beyond ridiculous.
I went to Hastings in June & bought 3x (reg) Huss & chips & 3 cans of lemonade to have on the beach. It cost £44! It's been a long time since I've bought fish & chips but I was stunned at the price. 😮 It tasted amazing but I couldn't spend shed loads of money at Rock a Nore after that. I'm still carping on about it 2 months later!

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I went to Hastings in June & bought 3x (reg) Huss & chips & 3 cans of lemonade to have on the beach. It cost £44! It's been a long time since I've bought fish & chips but I was stunned at the price. 😮 It tasted amazing but I couldn't spend shed loads of money at Rock a Nore after that. I'm still carping on about it 2 months later!
I know what you mean. I paid £36 for two haddock and chips, and a calamari and chips in Bexhill (next to Hastings) a few weeks ago. The calamari consisted of 5 rings.
We all agreed that it wasn't as good as our local in Patcham, it cost more, and the portions were smaller.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

It does seem a lot but how many meals can you get for under £15 a head these days?

I had a bagel, tater tots and an espresso on an industrial estate in Redditch yesterday and it was about £17.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Cod and chips please , and not too heavy on the batter.
when I was a lad we used to have “ Huss” and chips… which I later learned to be dogfish , related to sharks. That was good but you never see them know, overfished I guess…
Cod for me too, the better half prefers Huss, as you say more difficult to find in a chippie these days but it’s often on the menu at Bardsley’s.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I know what you mean. I paid £36 for two haddock and chips, and a calamari and chips in Bexhill (next to Hastings) a few weeks ago. The calamari consisted of 5 rings.
We all agreed that it wasn't as good as our local in Patcham, it cost more, and the portions were smaller.
Odd that we've both mentioned the locations of robbery! I expect Brighton to cost a fortune!!! :lol: I suppose it's some sort of snobbery for me, sort of thinking to myself 'You can't charge that much, this is Hastings not Brighton'. I like Hastings though!
It does seem a lot but how many meals can you get for under £15 a head these days?

I had a bagel, tater tots and an espresso on an industrial estate in Redditch yesterday and it was about £17.
Uncle Sams doesn't cost £17 per person, even if I upgrade all of them to a milkshake!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here