Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Toughest and closest Championship yet?

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I'm not making a proper prediction until we make a few signings. If we make none, I reckon we'd finish around 14th. I thought we were quite frankly a mediocre side towards the end of last season (and at several points through it).

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'm not making a proper prediction until we make a few signings. If we make none, I reckon we'd finish around 14th. I thought we were quite frankly a mediocre side towards the end of last season (and at several points through it).

If we don't make signings I think we'd struggle for 14th. We weren't too impressive last term ... in the league we played brilliantly against Stains, Derby and Ipswich but aside from those (home) games we were very pedestrian and lacked any real cutting edge. I'm confident we will make a few decent signings and hopefully improve on those performances which in turn will hopefully translate into a better finishing position ... but the rest of the league won't be standing still!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
but the rest of the league won't be standing still!

Good point, Palace for example are already weakening their side, others will too.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Let's be serious, with our squad at the moment we're coming no where near the top half.

I reckon we'd finish around about 10th with our current squad; possibly a little higher as they've now got more championship experience.

We won't have our current squad though. I fully expect us to finish 2nd - 5th.

Aquilaugh

Jan 9, 2011
I reckon we'd finish around about 10th with our current squad; possibly a little higher as they've now got more championship experience.

We won't have our current squad though. I fully expect us to finish 2nd - 5th.

Deluded

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
You could say the above about every single season pretty much, just replacing Brum each time with whichever team is struggling financially at the time.

I'd disagree. I don't think anyone thought last year Peterborough would be near the top end and there are other teams who have larger budgets than us who didn't live up to their full potential (Leeds, Ipswich). Hull have money to spend, definitely tougher imo.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'd disagree. I don't think anyone thought last year Peterborough would be near the top end and there are other teams who have larger budgets than us who didn't live up to their full potential (Leeds, Ipswich). Hull have money to spend, definitely tougher imo.

So barring ONE side, my point still stands, as at the START of the season you didn't know those teams wouldn't live up to their potential (as obviously happens to some teams every season).

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Good point, Palace for example are already weakening their side, others will too.

Palace are weakening their side? How did you work that one out?

Out: Clyne, Gardner (maybe)
In: Martin, Wilbraham, Ward

3 signings already, and we're only half way through June and there's a lot more money to spend according to CPFC2010. Nobody else will be leaving. There is no chance that we'll start next season with a weaker side than we had this season. If we started the season now, we'd be stronger than how we finished last season, but we're not even close to finished yet.

Am I right in thinking you've actually made ZERO signings so far this summer? Is there a shortage of cash at the Amex? ???

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I agree, I think a lot of people's expectations next season are the play offs, whereas I think we'll finish around the same as we did this season, we'd have to make a few sensational signings to finish in the top 6 looking at the teams in this league this season.

We will struggle with our current squad in the coming season,pesonaly i think we will be bottom half of the table all season,hope i`m wrong though

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Palace are weakening their side? How did you work that one out?

In: Wilbraham

pmsl-1.gif

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011

If reports are true, he chose us over you and Ipswich. Made 22 appearances for Norwich, half of which were in the Premier League last season. Comes very highly rated as a Championship striker from Norwich fans. He should be great cover for Murray.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
If reports are true, he chose us over you and Ipswich. Made 22 appearances for Norwich, half of which were in the Premier League last season. Comes very highly rated as a Championship striker from Norwich fans. He should be great cover for Murray.

I'm glad he did and why do you think he did? He started twice last season and 5 times the season before and has scored once I think. Not entirely sure what the Norwich fans saw in him but good luck .. approaching 33 yo I'm sure he has a great future

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I must be the only one who thinks it looks like a weak league
If we become a bit more attack-minded away from home this coming season we are in with a major shout

We need to be a bit more attack minded playing at home for the whole 90 minutes by not sitting back and inviting pressure

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
I'm glad he did and why do you think he did? He started twice last season and 5 times the season before and has scored once I think. Not entirely sure what the Norwich fans saw in him but good luck .. approaching 33 yo I'm sure he has a great future

We lack experience in the side. A 32 year old striker with 22 appearances for Norwich in 2011-12, some of which were in the Premiership will add something different for us. He's good cover and will be cheap, I'm sure.

I think he chose us because we're a more attractive proposition than you are at the moment, if the rumours about your wages are true. How do you expect to progress as a club and establish yourselves in this division if you can't afford the quality of player required? It appears that you've missed out on your two main targets this window (Mattock and Kuszczak) due to lack of funds. Surely this can't be the type of activity that will convince Vicente to stay? Must be worrying for you... :(

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008

Feel free to link a story saying we offered him anything. Would love to see this report that says this.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
I have no idea if you offered him anything. All I know is that in the Mirror it said you wanted him, as well as Bristol City, us and Ipswich (iirc). Also here SOUTH LONDON PRESS TODAY | SPORT | Exclusive: Eagles close in on Aaron Wilbraham

So apart from the tiniest bit of paper talk you have nothing? It said on the back page of a national newspaper that we were interested in Michael Owen, Gus said it was total rubbish. A sentence in the South London Press is not exactly damning evidence is it. It's a long way from 'chose us over you and Ipswich'.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
It appears that you've missed out on your two main targets this window (Mattock and Kuszczak) due to lack of funds. Surely this can't be the type of activity that will convince Vicente to stay? Must be worrying for you... :(

So we are refusing to spend over the odds on silly wages yet the fan of a team that has gone bust twice for overspending on wages asks if we are worried about lack of funds. :ffsparr:

I'd be more worried about signing players whilst attendances are falling and your stadium is falling down. Oh I forgot that youll use the billion pounds from the Zaha transfer to West Ham. :lol:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
We lack experience in the side. A 32 year old striker with 22 appearances for Norwich in 2011-12, some of which were in the Premiership will add something different for us. He's good cover and will be cheap, I'm sure.

I think he chose us because we're a more attractive proposition than you are at the moment, if the rumours about your wages are true. How do you expect to progress as a club and establish yourselves in this division if you can't afford the quality of player required? It appears that you've missed out on your two main targets this window (Mattock and Kuszczak) due to lack of funds. Surely this can't be the type of activity that will convince Vicente to stay? Must be worrying for you... :(

Erm, he started in 2 league games and made 9 appearances as sub - doesn't add up to 22 in my world

As for having a fiscal policy that matches expenditure to income, it may seem an odd approach to business but you never know, it may catch on!

Anyway I fail to see how a (near) 33 year old donkey is going to break any budget here ... feel free to speculate on the grounds of affordability I'll stick with the more obvious of value

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here