Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Toughest and closest Championship yet?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I read these threads and come to the conclusion that loads of users haven't got a clue what they are talking about. Blackpool need to trim the wage bill? They never really increased it and put an extra £40m in the bank. Wolves the least likely of the relegated sides to go up? That will be the Wolves with ZERO debt and great support.

As TCB said this comes up every year and the misinformed guesswork to justify where teams will be is as evident as ever.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
I must be the only one who thinks it looks like a weak league
If we become a bit more attack-minded away from home this coming season we are in with a major shout

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
It will be stronger imo. All the relegated sides are in with shout, all the promoted sides have a fair bit of money to spend, all the sides in and around the top 6 last season will be in with a shout again bar Birmingham if they do get into financial difficulty.

Sitch

Jul 3, 2011
I find the phrase 'it'll be tougher than ever' to be a totally bollocks one that always gets said on here. It means nothing. It's a bit like watching the X Factor and Simon Cowell claiming 'the standard has never been this high'. He does it every year, it's boring, you don't know how tough the division will be. You don't know if two teams are going to run away with it and get 100+ points each. You don't know if there will be no good teams and the top half will be covered by a handful of points. So don't spout shit for the sake of it.

Good to know that my opinion is 'shit' well I don't really care what you think, this forum is for Albion fans giving their opinions, and if this is yours then fair enough :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It will be stronger imo. All the relegated sides are in with shout, all the promoted sides have a fair bit of money to spend, all the sides in and around the top 6 last season will be in with a shout again bar Birmingham if they do get into financial difficulty.

This is almost a description of last season though?

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Good to know that my opinion is 'shit' well I don't really care what you think, this forum is for Albion fans giving their opinions, and if this is yours then fair enough :)

I think you were correct in your earlier post. Next season appears the most open for twelve years. Fulham went on to win the division by a ten point margin but ante-post there seemed so many contenders, as I believe there to be now.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
That's the beauty of the Championship, it's so unpredictable, unlike the Premier League. Don't get me wrong, I'd love us to get to the promised land one day, but last season was superb for excitement and I would be happy with a few more seasons of that.

I'll predict 8th for us.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
As the starting squads are nowhere near to being finalised, we really don't know. So whether you think it's an easier or harder league reflects more on whether you are generally more an optimist or a pessimist in life. Any statements you make about the league are really statements about you!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
As the starting squads are nowhere near to being finalised, we really don't know. So whether you think it's an easier or harder league reflects more on whether you are generally more an optimist or a pessimist in life. Any statements you make about the league are really statements about you!

It's largely assumptive and even with the benefit of knowing the starting squads it's an unbelievably difficult League to predict. I reckon there will be 15 or 16 Chairman/Managers who think they will be in with a shout of automatic or top 6 and I don't think that changes much year on year. The rewards for success are so huge that it will always be highly competitive no more or less this upcoming season imo

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I find the phrase 'it'll be tougher than ever' to be a totally bollocks one that always gets said on here. It means nothing. It's a bit like watching the X Factor and Simon Cowell claiming 'the standard has never been this high'. He does it every year, it's boring, you don't know how tough the division will be. You don't know if two teams are going to run away with it and get 100+ points each. You don't know if there will be no good teams and the top half will be covered by a handful of points. So don't spout shit for the sake of it.

I read these threads and come to the conclusion that loads of users haven't got a clue what they are talking about. Blackpool need to trim the wage bill? They never really increased it and put an extra £40m in the bank. Wolves the least likely of the relegated sides to go up? That will be the Wolves with ZERO debt and great support.

As TCB said this comes up every year and the misinformed guesswork to justify where teams will be is as evident as ever.
I agree with these two posts.

Ultimately we are are still 2 months from kick off and the squads are nowhere near to being finalised. It really does depend on which teams sign who between now and then. Let's just be optimistic - we had a good season last time, meaning we have a base to start from. We have a sound infrastructure a new ground and a fairly big support. I reckon we ought to be competitive come August.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

You could say the above about every single season pretty much, just replacing Brum each time with whichever team is struggling financially at the time.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Looking at this season coming, I really do think it'll be the toughest and closest season yet. It really does look strong.

Promotion contenders - Wolves, Blackburn, Bolton, Blackpool, Leicester, Hull, Birmingham, Cardiff, Burnley, Middlesborough and maybe us.

Teams you won't expect to do as well as you thought- Sheffield Wednesday, Charlton, Huddersfield, Millwall, Watford and Nottingham Forest.

I don't know about anyone else but I reckon it'll be hard for us.

I said that last year. I expect it will be the same as normal. Same as all years. The team with a good spine to the side and a strong overall squad will be in contention. I don't think it us quite yet.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You could say the above about every single season pretty much, just replacing Brum each time with whichever team is struggling financially at the time.

Quite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here