Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

“Tough To Accept” – Bristol City Manager

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Keith Millen says City's 1-0 home defeat to league leaders Brighton & Hove Albion was "hard to accept."

The City boss watched his side enjoy a fair share of possession at Ashton Gate before succumbing to Ashley Barnes' 80th minute winner.

Speaking on Bristol City Player TV, Keith said: "It's a tough one to accept today because I didn't feel we did a lot wrong. It was a tight game and we knew from the way Brighton play they would be happy for the goalkeeper to have it and kill the game.

"We set off for a high tempo and to press them up the field. I don't think I could ask for any more from the players. The problem was when we did win the ball back we didn't go for the killer pass or run.

"We need to score the first goal, especially here at Ashton Gate at the moment; the longer the game goes on you could see the pressure building around the ground. Everyone was getting anxious.

"The way things are going for Brighton at the moment it only takes one chance to win the game. But before they scored we had a head of steam up.

"It's a strange one and I'd like to analyse how many times we had the ball in good areas, and how many times we had dangerous situations or crosses in and around the box.

"The annoying thing is we've conceded a goal from a set-piece and that's killed us again. Jamo (David James) pulled off one great save but apart from that I don't think he touched the ball .

"It was a close game and quite tactical. The way it's going at home at the moment we can't get that first goal to ease the pressure. We can't hide from that, we need to put that right."

It's now four home games this season without a goal and the manager doesn't believe the shape of the team has been an issue.

He said: "You've got Albert (Adomah) pushed on, you've got (Jamal) Campbell-Ryce pushed on; Marvin (Elliott) arrives in the box. It's not 4-5-1, it's 4-3-3.

"It's not down to the system. We got the ball to Nicky (Maynard) enough times. People have to take responsibility to go and score the goals. Do I need to put two centre forwards on the pitch? Maybe so, but they've got to earn the right to be in the team. The players that started today earned the right and there was nothing wrong with that.

"If we had come away with a 0-0 then it still isn't acceptable because we want to score and win at home."

Campbell-Ryce and Cole Skuse were withdrawn during the game for groin and knee injuries respectively.

Bristol City | News | Latest | Latest | TOUGH TO ACCEPT - KEITH

Last edited:

Zamoracomehome

Apr 12, 2010
Hove
I wasn't at the game, but having listened to it on the radio, this assessment sounds spot on. Definitely sounded like a draw would have been the fairest result today.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
THIS PART OF THE OP-tells me we have produced the classic away performance,with a trait that ALL top sides possess.

"The way things are going for Brighton at the moment it only takes one chance to win the game. But before they scored we had a head of steam up.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I was at the game and felt we shaded it, first half was about equal, with James making a good save low down and Casper scrambling across his goal for a shot that went wide but nothing more. In the second half David James made a great save, to deny CMS. Noone had a dipping shot that went over, Mackail-Smith just missed twice. I can only remember them having one shot at the end that Casper saved well.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Woo. My first post linked to the NSC Facebook account!

He says James had one save to make. I would think he must have made three to four decent saves. I don’t know how we didn’t score from that corner early in the second half though CMS.

We weren’t at our best today but I did think we were the better side and so an Albion win was a fair result in my opinion.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I would say we shaded it although I can see what he was saying. Overall I felt we had more class than them and I think the subs we made were better than theirs and gave us momentum going into the last 20minutes. Our defence was immense and Noone and then LuaLua were the two most creative players in the match.

City reminded me of Donnie. Good solid team but not much creativity.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
As managers go he is pretty clueless - if you see his comments after their other games this season (and indeed last) it is pretty much a cut and paste job

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
First half they edged it, second half we dominated.

All in all i'd say a draw was probably the fairest result, but we had the better chances.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I was at the game, just got back and their manager is talking out his bum...... I thought they were average to poor, so many hopeful punts into areas and lost the ball, there front line looked capable enough but

Lewis Dunk :bowdown:

he had Maynard in his pocket and was outstanding, he never really threatened, couple of half chances at a shot at the end from outside the area which was going in until Casper pulled off an unbelievable full stretch finger tip save.

We were the same as always, patient, and out passed and outclassed them, though we lacked a cutting edge up top...... Noone beat there left back every single time, KLL was excellent when he came on.

The Bristol City fans forum (which) I read on the way back, all slate Millen for "making feeble excuses" to cover his own arse.

2 downside today CMS looked bit below par to his usual energetic self, but still pretty good.

Harley was not very good today, ok on the ball, but disposessed few times and very half arsed walking around, not bothering to chase for balls, ambling around and not like the rest of the team at all for work rate - an off day?? hope so for his sake, because they'll be others like Buckley chomping at the bit to take his place.

3 points job done, Barnes scored in front of our fans abehind goal and with his Bristol city links all the players bundled, and piled on top of him.....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Has he been listening to Cotterells review after the Portsmouth game, both sound about as clueless as each other. It is accepted that the away ream shouldnt get as many chances as the home team but it is about who makes the most of their chances.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It was a tight game and we knew from the way Brighton play they would be happy for the goalkeeper to have it and kill the game.

:facepalm:

Do professional managers REALLY believe our possession football is a signal that we are looking to "kill the game" ???

Sorry, but that just shows how desperate the English mentality to football is. Fortunately, we are lucky enough to have had an education in football from Professor Poyet.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'd suggest that he is fighting for his job at the moment. Can't blame the fella for putting a positive spin on things, but for all Bristol's possession they were completely toothless in attack. The only possible results were a 0-0 or a Brighton win.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
First half they edged it, second half we dominated.

All in all i'd say a draw was probably the fairest result, but we had the better chances.

Exactly this , although heart in mouth moment in the final minute.

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!
I wasn't at the game, but having listened to it on the radio, this assessment sounds spot on. Definitely sounded like a draw would have been the fairest result today.

No no. I was there and we definitely deserved the Win. A couple of city fans even commented in pub afterwards on how classy we looked.

Its funny how well educated we all are now regarding how to play the game. I find it unbelievable when the opposition hoof the ball long or give the ball away cheaply.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE!!

It's so simple isn't it? While we have possession:

1. The opponents CAN'T score.
2. We CAN score.

Hence 1-0 to the Albion!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
No no. I was there and we definitely deserved the Win. A couple of city fans even commented in pub afterwards on how classy we looked.

Its funny how well educated we all are now regarding how to play the game. I find it unbelievable when the opposition hoof the ball long or give the ball away cheaply.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE!!

It's so simple isn't it? While we have possession:

1. The opponents CAN'T score.
2. We CAN score.

Hence 1-0 to the Albion!

Actually i have known this for years-it's why England never do well at the very top level,never will playing the Premiership way,even our top sides in Europe are made to look 2nd best even if they do well,compared to their opponents on the technical front.

For years and years teams/countries have caught up fitness wise to our standards,and their ability for the main,although not totally exclusive as the last several years in the champions league suggests,is far superior and has the desired effect.(i wonder why?)

Until we change our Sunday morning attitudes-you know parents praising so called hard man play in their kids & youngsters being told to clear it,away etc then we cannot hope to progress at the highest level.

We defend by keeping possession-simple.

A final note on the National team-

A great opportunity was missed by Fabio and he should have cleared the whole squad,selected all youngsters,built a side from scratch,sacrificed the Euro's and planned for the next world cup....so what if our ranking slips,so what if we lose friendlies,so what-come next world cup the national "DEVELOPMENT" side,similar to Brazil (they have won a few world cups i think) would with the right additions & subtractions along the way, know each other inside out,be of the right age,and have half a chance..

Last edited:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
:facepalm:

Do professional managers REALLY believe our possession football is a signal that we are looking to "kill the game" ???

Sorry, but that just shows how desperate the English mentality to football is. Fortunately, we are lucky enough to have had an education in football from Professor Poyet.

Think that comment is more related to the flow of the game. Make it very hard for the opposition to dictate the tempo and get a foothold. I don't think its a criticism.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here