Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

“Tough To Accept” – Bristol City Manager

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Posted Yesterday, 05:39 PM
From the Bristol City Fans Forum

Brighton play a similar game to Swansea, in fact todays game was remarkably similar to last seasons loss at AG to Swansea, the opposition keeping posession effortlessly while the home side sat back content to counter attack.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Posted Yesterday, 05:39 PM
From the Bristol City Fans Forum

Brighton play a similar game to Swansea, in fact todays game was remarkably similar to last seasons loss at AG to Swansea, the opposition keeping posession effortlessly while the home side sat back content to counter attack.

What a great endorsement!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Spoken like a manager who knows he'll be getting his cards shortly. James touched the ball a lot more than once and if he didn't see that he really shouldn't be in the job.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
"They were well organised and obviously train hard but had no more technical ability than our players."

And if that's true then Gus is making average players look brilliant. So even more power to him.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
That Adomah (number 27) was by far their best player and left Painter for dead on most occasions. Absolute quality running on the ball. Could easily have forgotten Maynard was playing, perhaps he's sulking at not getting a move away? Campbell-Ryce also looked dangerous so was glad when he went off.

Overall we just shaded it as others have said. Bringing Buckley and KLL off the bench won the game for us.

Exciting times with Hoskins and Vicente still to come.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
"They were well organised and obviously train hard but had no more technical ability than our players."

And if that's true then Gus is making average players look brilliant. So even more power to him.
Indeed. I'm actually at the stage where I don't WANT England to get better. I want as many clubs as possible to stay stuck in the dark ages with their fans constantly shouting 'get it forward', I want youth football to be dominated by big kids, shouty coaches and loud-mouthed parents, I want people to say "I think Stuart Pearce should be the next England manager". All the while English football stays, well, 'English', we'll continue to prosper and we can all walk round with smug grins that say "we know something you don't." Likewise I'm more than happy for opposing managers to attribute our success to 'luck'; all the while it continues we'll keep our edge over similar-sized clubs, and also a few bigger ones.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Indeed. I'm actually at the stage where I don't WANT England to get better. I want as many clubs as possible to stay stuck in the dark ages with their fans constantly shouting 'get it forward', I want youth football to be dominated by big kids, shouty coaches and loud-mouthed parents, I want people to say "I think Stuart Pearce should be the next England manager". All the while English football stays, well, 'English', we'll continue to prosper and we can all walk round with smug grins that say "we know something you don't." Likewise I'm more than happy for opposing managers to attribute our success to 'luck'; all the while it continues we'll keep our edge over similar-sized clubs, and also a few bigger ones.

Good shout.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

In agreement with 1 escape clause-10 years from now,Brighton well established in the Premier division-Gus leaves to manage England...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

I heartily concur :thumbsup:

SirElliotBennett

May 5, 2010
West Stand Lower
I would say we shaded it although I can see what he was saying. Overall I felt we had more class than them and I think the subs we made were better than theirs and gave us momentum going into the last 20minutes. Our defence was immense and Noone and then LuaLua were the two most creative players in the match.

City reminded me of Donnie. Good solid team but not much creativity.

This.
I thought Buckley was quite good when he came on as well. He put a brilliant ball in but no one got on the end of it.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
You'd be worried if your manager's analysis was this poor, but it must be even worse that he basically admits he wasn't paying attention.

"The annoying thing is we've conceded a goal from a set-piece and that's killed us again. Jamo (David James) pulled off one great save but apart from that I don't think he touched the ball .

David James is probably a bit miffed about it as well.

Last edited:

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
No no. I was there and we definitely deserved the Win. A couple of city fans even commented in pub afterwards on how classy we looked.

Its funny how well educated we all are now regarding how to play the game. I find it unbelievable when the opposition hoof the ball long or give the ball away cheaply.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE!!

It's so simple isn't it? While we have possession:

1. The opponents CAN'T score.
2. We CAN score.

Hence 1-0 to the Albion!

Same as, was at the game to. I reckon City could still be playing now and they wouldn't have scored. The only thing Casper had to do was the last minute tip round the post to preserve all three points, the longer the game went on the more I felt we were going to score and in the end the pressure told.

Gus would have loved that game, it's the sort of win all managers love. Going away from home, being as solid as a rock at the back and getting a winner.

Can't even be arsed with reading the Bristol managers excuses, we just here the same old drivel coming out of every defeated home manager (and some fans) whom are utterly clueless about how and why we play the way we do.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
"In general play we kept a clean sheet" :facepalm:

Easily my favourite Millen post-match quote.

What exactly is "general play", may I enquire? Is that only the passages of play you want to remember? At what point does a set piece cease to be a set piece and become general play? After two players have touched it? Four? Six? Or is it a time thing?

One of the most desperate quotes I've heard. Superb.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You'd be worried if your manager's analysis was this poor, but it must be even worse that he basically admits he wasn't paying attention.

"The annoying thing is we've conceded a goal from a set-piece and that's killed us again. Jamo (David James) pulled off one great save but apart from that I don't think he touched the ball .

David James is probably a bit miffed about it as well.

That struck me too. James did a great double save and also had to tip one over the bar from Dicker.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
From another thread on there:
Did we play that well? Brighton bossed possession and created all of the goal scoring chances in the match. Yes we got more ball into the box but there was never anyone within 5yds of the cross and I never felt like Brighton were hanging on or under any prolonged pressure.

I for one was not surprised when they scored and the better team won.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here